S4MAX: Brickless S4M w/ 3090 FE and R9 5950x - 800W, 5l, water cooled

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
Well i finally got off my lazy butt and I'm restarting the 800w PSU project after my first attempt (old PSU made some weird noise)

I have designed and ordered a custom PSU housing. Once fitment is confirmed I'll adjust it properly.
Other than airflow, (going to start with a 40mm noctua) what do you think will help it lower temps? I'm thinking of Aluminum heatsink instead of the top cover somehow or more fans on the top cover if i can fit them.

Also what's currently the best Pico PSU for the 24pin? I'm hooking up the CPU connector to the 800w PSU

Ikki kurogane

Cable Smoosher
Jan 9, 2020
Great work, how did you get pin 8 (24 Pin: PwrOk/ Power Ok) from the PSU to the 24pin for the Mainboard?
what do you mean he just solder a wire onto the ps-on pin on the PSU and then solder the other end of the wire to the pico 24pin ps-on pin, you don't need to cut it like the 5vsb, thats all, but that's for the 600w of the PSU, the 800w is a bit different

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Well i finally got off my lazy butt and I'm restarting the 800w PSU project after my first attempt (old PSU made some weird noise)

I have designed and ordered a custom PSU housing. Once fitment is confirmed I'll adjust it properly.
Other than airflow, (going to start with a 40mm noctua) what do you think will help it lower temps? I'm thinking of Aluminum heatsink instead of the top cover somehow or more fans on the top cover if i can fit them.

Also what's currently the best Pico PSU for the 24pin? I'm hooking up the CPU connector to the 800w PSU
If you just want to do 24-pin & CPU(EPS) then I'd look at the J-Hack 2426 or 200X (though honestly there are plenty of options for DC-ATX that are probably fine on AliExpress and the like).

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Jul 30, 2018
Did a heatsink mod on the PSU, just have to make sure that it doesn't touch the chassis. As for the fan, i wonder if a chipset fan is fast enough.
IMG_15062022_030554_(1080_x_720_pixel).jpg

Reactions: petricor and morj

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
I have a little fan update to share at some point... long story short: Summer+Gaming in VR+40mm Noctua fans don't mix
Nooooo, now what do I do when I tell people "pff, you can go smaller"!?

What was the room ambient temperature when you killed it (the PSU I assume)?

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
No worries - problem already solved 🥳
Just need to get to posting an update! And as a little teaser: All key components including the PSU stay the same (no reason to undo any mods…)- and it involves cramming more stuff into the very same enclosure, so it shouldn’t disappoint!
Nooooo, now what do I do when I tell people "pff, you can go smaller"!?

What was the room ambient temperature when you killed it (the PSU I assume)?

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
No worries - problem already solved 🥳
Just need to get to posting an update! And as a little teaser: All key components including the PSU stay the same (no reason to undo any mods…)- and it involves cramming more stuff into the very same enclosure, so it shouldn’t disappoint!
Huzzah verrily!

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Jul 30, 2018
well i have hit an air cooling roadblock. might go custom watercooling. The hard part is that there is only chinese waterblocks for the Zotac 3070 twin edge.
Here is the Alphacool ST25 92mm Dual Radiator (184mm) 227 total length
1655913025182.png
edit. yeah no way i can place the gpu ontop of the mobo with my cababilities

Last edited:

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
well i have hit an air cooling roadblock. might go custom watercooling. The hard part is that there is only chinese waterblocks for the Zotac 3070 twin edge.
Here is the Alphacool ST25 92mm Dual Radiator (184mm) 227 total length
View attachment 1897
edit. yeah no way i can place the gpu ontop of the mobo with my cababilities
i bet you can figure it out. what do you think the biggest impediment is?

Reactions: petricor

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
I need the length of the FE card or else I'll be close to 5 liters in volume. That and i might as well just refine my air-cooled case to reach 4 liters
it's pretty lame that ek put out that 3070 fe block with the terminal at the end of the card. could have been roughly r9 nano sized with the terminal on top.

Reactions: petricor