S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Are you still standing by the NH-L9 as the best cooler for this case, so far? I could've sworn there were a few other contenders if we consider non stock fans

Yes, the NHl9i is the best Intel cooler for the S4 MINI.

There are other contenders IF you make concessions in other areas. I think 30% of the pages in this thread though answer this question in far more detail than I can here. You can watch my video on the subject, and I also have a link in the first page to Cuban's awesome writeup on the subject.

Best of luck!

spintje

Average Stuffer
Feb 16, 2017
Anyone have experience OC'ing the MSI Aero 1070 in the S4? Is it doable or a big nono because of temps?

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Anyone have experience OC'ing the MSI Aero 1070 in the S4? Is it doable or a big nono because of temps?
Id believe it to be a big no no... ive got the zotac 1070 which is a two fan and even then my temps have reached the 80s without OC under load (its summer)

I believe it would be a bit worse with the MSI

Reactions: spintje

spintje

Average Stuffer
Feb 16, 2017
I am actually seeing mid-70s temps currently at peak load, which i don't think is too bad. But i am worried by the lack of OC headroom as well as the extra thermal pressure brought on the whole system. I might just leave at it's current level and take it from there, since the system as a whole is now rock solid after adjusting the CPU voltage in order to cope with the ram XMP profiles.

lac29

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2017
What is considered "safe" CPU and GPU temps. I've been reading about everyone trying to push the envelope with the latest and greatest in the S4, but for me personally, I'm looking to avoid having to deal with these types of potential headaches. I'd rather not have to do any modding to the case that will cause permanent disfigurement. That's why I think I'll have to shy away from the 1080 mini / 1080 ti mini and 7700k (and somewhat of a waste of that 400W HDPlex).

It seems like underclocking these above mentioned might help but I don't seem to have read a consensus that it's reliable with lowered temps?

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
What is considered "safe" CPU and GPU temps. I've been reading about everyone trying to push the envelope with the latest and greatest in the S4, but for me personally, I'm looking to avoid having to deal with these types of potential headaches. I'd rather not have to do any modding to the case that will cause permanent disfigurement. That's why I think I'll have to shy away from the 1080 mini / 1080 ti mini and 7700k (and somewhat of a waste of that 400W HDPlex).

It seems like underclocking these above mentioned might help but I don't seem to have read a consensus that it's reliable with lowered temps?

Some people are more concerned with temps than others. Me personally, as long as its not thermally throttling, i think it's fine. For Intel CPU's, non X type Ryzen CPU's and most GPU's that's going to be around 90-95c. Ryzen X type CPU's throttle at 80c.

Just do a google search for the hardware you are working with for the thermal limit, and try to keep it below that. Lower is always better, but like i said it's mostly subjective once your below the thermal limit.

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Tom's Hardware just did a new thermal paste roundup, very highly detailed: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-comparison,5108.html

The takeaway is that liquid metal TIM beats everything by a couple Celsius but is very hard to apply for CPUs and can't really be used on GPUs since it will corrode aluminum heatsinks. Seems like the standout "traditional" paste is "Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut", I might give that a shot over the Noctua NT-H1 which is my usual go-to.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
I didn't have luck undervolting the GPU to get it stable with the Dell 330 or the HDPLEX 300. Which is a shame, because they are both *almost* there.

More skilled people might have a better chance...also better luck with the silicon.

Any sneak peak into what kind of solutions you are working on? I have had a lot more success personally with strapping two Noctua 40mm fans to my HDPlex 300W ACDC, but it can still thermal throttle and die if I really push it in Fallout 4 with all settings maxed at 2560x1440. This usually takes around 3 hours to cause however. 3D printed some parts, should be able to install them tomorrow and see if a different fan placement will provide better results...

axtran

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2017
Just double-checked the latest mini update video regarding the addition of the 120mm slim fan bracket for video card back cooling... are there two 120mm fan brackets? I remember there being mention of the ability to remove the CPU fan and replace it with a 120mm... or would I have to buy another fan bracket?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Any sneak peak into what kind of solutions you are working on? I have had a lot more success personally with strapping two Noctua 40mm fans to my HDPlex 300W ACDC, but it can still thermal throttle and die if I really push it in Fallout 4 with all settings maxed at 2560x1440. This usually takes around 3 hours to cause however. 3D printed some parts, should be able to install them tomorrow and see if a different fan placement will provide better results...

No....I'm a fan of the HDPLEX300 AC and all, but even with a custom cooling solution it is not enough to keep the 1080ti on even for a second, even with the CPU at 35w.

Just double-checked the latest mini update video regarding the addition of the 120mm slim fan bracket for video card back cooling... are there two 120mm fan brackets? I remember there being mention of the ability to remove the CPU fan and replace it with a 120mm... or would I have to buy another fan bracket?

One SkyBracket is included in the S4 MINI. You can move it down for the GPU, which is what I suspect most customers will do. This gives you a fan mounting location on both sides of the GPU depending on your configuration.

The Noctua NHl9i is not compatible with the SkyBracket anyway and it is the superior cooler for the S4 MINI, so most users wouldn't need two SkyBrackets, which is why I only include one.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
This looks pretty promising, a 3D printer power supply that I believe came from one of those aluminum LED power supplys, and given an actual enclosure. 500 watts, 24 volts, and about $200. Not cheap, but could work if you figure out the connector.

Reactions: Kmpkt

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 16, 2017
Has anyone tried the following? I don't have my S4 yet to try it myself.

Using the NH-L9a, remove the include 92mm fan, instead use the skybracket and a full size 120mm Noctua fan. Is there enough clearance and if so, any appreciable difference in temps?

If no one knows that's fine, I'll post when I try it out.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com

Using the NH-L9a, remove the include 92mm fan, instead use the skybracket and a full size 120mm Noctua fan. Is there enough clearance and if so, any appreciable difference in temps?

You will lose a ton of static pressure.

axtran

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2017
One SkyBracket is included in the S4 MINI. You can move it down for the GPU, which is what I suspect most customers will do. This gives you a fan mounting location on both sides of the GPU depending on your configuration.

The Noctua NHl9i is not compatible with the SkyBracket anyway and it is the superior cooler for the S4 MINI, so most users wouldn't need two SkyBrackets, which is why I only include one.

Thanks Josh--I ordered another Noctua 120mm NF-A12x15. I'm currently using two in my NCASE build and I couldn't be happier with the build quality. I love the colors, too.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Dezz

Chassis Packer
Jun 13, 2017
So August is here, September is coming up soon. Any chance we'll see the September pre-orders shipping out early, maybe late August?

Tek Everything

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 25, 2015
tekeverything.com

I tried this. It may or may not be effective depending on what motherboard you are using, and how comfortable you are with fan noise.

With the Asrock AB350 you have to use the bracket, which creates a ridiculous amount of turbulence and a loss of pressure as josh stated earlier. It's incredibly loud and not worth the performance gains imo.

However with the Biostar X370 mobo you can rest the fan on the rear IO covers. They are lower than normal because there is no WiFi module. By doing this you create a gap between the fan and top panel. It reduces the turbulence, but it is still significantly louder than the stock 92mm fan setup.

Using a 1700 at stock speeds I saw prime 95 load temps peak at 62C. So the gains in cooling are significant, but the noise level was simply unacceptable for me.

tumor

Chassis Packer
Jun 14, 2017
Got my tracking number today. Didn't expect shipping until September!

HDPlex 400w - Check
330w Brick - Check
Case - On it's way
Intel Coffee-Lake 8700k - No idea!

spintje

Average Stuffer
Feb 16, 2017
Man i am so impressed with the thermal performance of the S4 Mini. Running my 7600K at stock with the NH-L9i, 16GB of g.skill Trident Z 3200mhz, 2xSSDs, MSI Aero 1070 OC'ed +70mhz on the core and 325mhz on the memory, no component runs hotter than 70c at ANY time. I can't believe it. Almost makes me wanna try to to OC to the CPU as well to see if its doable, with reasonable temps.

What temps are you guys seeing with your different rigs?

Reactions: lac29 and ECHO