S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Intel almost never keeps a board layout more than two generations not sure why anyone would have thought they would change and keep coffee lake on the z series.

This one's hard to argue, because Z170 and Z270 (along with the PCH variants) switch came at roughly the same period as the switch from tick-tock to PAO. It used to be that prior platforms could sit two generations of CPUs (Z170 boards could sit a KBL CPU after a BIOS update as well), but now they out Z270 (with some feature upgrades) and then Z370 (i'm assuming). The pinout is probably different on CFL, but the question on some people's minds is having going to a two-step generation to a 3-step one, would the boards last 2 or 3 generations now? Or even just one?

I'm not surprised or anything with my previous image reply by the way, just pointing it out that CFL wouldn't work on 200-series boards. Kinda curious if it's because intel is bringing the Thunderbolt 3 controller to the CPU.

Tek Everything

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 25, 2015
tekeverything.com
Has anyone built a system using the Quadro P2000 in the mini?

On Paper it's basically a single slot 1050Ti with 5GB of RAM and Quadro drivers... but it performed surprisingly well in the Passmark GPU benchmark, when compared to a 1050Ti and 1060. Outpacing the 1050Ti by wide margin.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=3712&cmp[]=3595&cmp[]=3548

Could make for a very silent but capable system, with an open bay for whatever. Maybe you could even fit a slim 120mm rad and fan underneath it.

Tek Everything

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 25, 2015
tekeverything.com
Yeah but what's the price to performance ratio?
Price to performance would be terrible. It would only make sense if you were going to utilize that extra space for something.

That card is in my computer at work and it's competent for SolidWorks. The only reason we use it is because it's a mid-range card with certified drivers.

I wonder if a 75W card, under load, works off the HDPLEX riser...

I ran a 1050Ti off of the riser with no issues, so it should work just fine.

Reactions: Biowarejak

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Interesting. I am fine with my 7700k on prime95 hitting 82-84C with the delid. I will never reach that theoretically but i am curious how much of a decrease you see..
I mean the h270 and b250 versions don't even have one of the heat sinks (ive got the h270 version) and not having the ability to OC sucks but I honestly wouldn't want to with such a small cooler anyways, even if it is capable. so I ended up with a 7500 only because I found it for a really good deal cheaper than the 7600 on ebay brand new.but I mean if this boards doing just fine without it id say the z270 wouldnt be much different

EM98xXkillerXx

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2016
NH-L9A just got delivered, installing it now, i'll add temps after I'm done (I assune it'll be similar to the L9i)

Edit: I'm an idiot... You still need the adapter, welp, getting that shipped over asap

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
NH-L9A just got delivered, installing it now, i'll add temps after I'm done (I assune it'll be similar to the L9i)

Do you have both coolers to do a side by side test? No mounting of course, just remove the AMD brackets for the l9i and stick it on and compare the two unbolted?

No worries if you don't; just curious.

Reactions: Acalanata

EM98xXkillerXx

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2016
Do you have both coolers to do a side by side test? No mounting of course, just remove the AMD brackets for the l9i and stick it on and compare the two unbolted?

No worries if you don't; just curious.
No i don't, in fact I cant even test the noctua yet :( I wasn't paying attention and forgot I needed tp get the adapter. Hopefully it gets shipped fast, cuz I'm out a PC right now

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
This sounds really obvious when I say it out loud, but if you want to put a 1080ti in a S4 MINI...have ALOT of money. Can't get it stable with any of our favorite power bricks...so now I'm onto more exotic solutions.

Eurocom? ;D
About to pull the trigger on one since I think I found the correct plug for it to replace on my HDPlex. Do you need a sample to try? Pretty sure it'll work for anything, it's just the plug I don't know about.

Edit:
PS I'm just future proofing myself, no Ti card in my grasp yet to test it with.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
This sounds really obvious when I say it out loud, but if you want to put a 1080ti in a S4 MINI...have ALOT of money. Can't get it stable with any of our favorite power bricks...so now I'm onto more exotic solutions.
Does this mean we're going to see you using a @guryhwa DC-DC and AC/DC setup in your new 1080ti build video??? Hmmm...

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Eurocom? ;D
About to pull the trigger on one since I think I found the correct plug for it to replace on my HDPlex. Do you need a sample to try? Pretty sure it'll work for anything, it's just the plug I don't know about.

Edit:
PS I'm just future proofing myself, no Ti card in my grasp yet to test it with.

Yes, we are getting a Eurocom and I am also building a custom solution that is much cheaper that I hope will work for modders.

I haven't shopped for the jack yet...it would be very helpful if you could link me the connector ends you have found so I can get this done faster.

@CubanLegend I thought about it buddy, but I think it is a peaking issue outside of 400w. My 1080ti system averages a gentle 335w which is nothing the HDPLEX 300 AC/DC can't handle with some active cooling, but I get resets in some games and benchmarks with the 1080ti. I haven't pulled the graphs yet with my prometer to see what its peaking at though...

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
Yes, we are getting a Eurocom and I am also building a custom solution that is much cheaper that I hope will work for modders.

I haven't shopped for the jack yet...it would be very helpful if you could link me the connector ends you have found so I can get this done faster.

As far as I can tell, this one should fit, this link is for the 4 pin one on the bottom right in the picture. Ordered and had at my door within a week.

http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?r=806-KPJX-PM-4S

2 positive, 2 negative pins and then 2 pins linking to the shielding around the jack for negative.
I can email you pics of it next to the HD plex jack.

EDIT: Wrong jack, just realized Eurocom's is female on the end that goes to their laptops (WHAT?!)
You'd have to order the male version on this site, modify the power cord and have it terminate male to the female plug I originally linked.

Last edited:

Siba

Chassis Packer
May 19, 2017

@CubanLegend I thought about it buddy, but I think it is a peaking issue outside of 400w. My 1080ti system averages a gentle 335w which is nothing the HDPLEX 300 AC/DC can't handle with some active cooling, but I get resets in some games and benchmarks with the 1080ti. I haven't pulled the graphs yet with my prometer to see what its peaking at though...

Are you undervolting the 1080ti as well? This was kind of my plan as well, but I've been sitting on my case because I couldn't figure out what CPU cooling I wanted as well as if the stock bezel can be milled out to fit the 1080ti mini

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Are you undervolting the 1080ti as well? This was kind of my plan as well, but I've been sitting on my case because I couldn't figure out what CPU cooling I wanted as well as if the stock bezel can be milled out to fit the 1080ti mini

I didn't have luck undervolting the GPU to get it stable with the Dell 330 or the HDPLEX 300. Which is a shame, because they are both *almost* there.

More skilled people might have a better chance...also better luck with the silicon.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
As far as I can tell, this one should fit, this link is for the 4 pin one on the bottom right in the picture. Ordered and had at my door within a week.

http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?r=806-KPJX-PM-4S

2 positive, 2 negative pins and then 2 pins linking to the shielding around the jack for negative.
I can email you pics of it next to the HD plex jack.

Oh nice, so it is the same as the one for the Pico 160XT KIT? I just didn't have any pictures/specs for the Eurocom cable, so I couldn't tell how it terminated.

This is really helpful info, thank you!
Any previews/pics of the powder coated minis yet!? :oops:

I've only got a yield of two so far...I'm thinking about what I want to do. Sorry for the wait.

Siba

Chassis Packer
May 19, 2017
I didn't have luck undervolting the GPU to get it stable with the Dell 330 or the HDPLEX 300. Which is a shame, because they are both *almost* there.

More skilled people might have a better chance...also better luck with the silicon.

Are you still standing by the NH-L9 as the best cooler for this case, so far? I could've sworn there were a few other contenders if we consider non stock fans