S4 Mini Brickless w/ 1060 and i7 8700?

guyperson

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
I've been lurking on the forum for about a week but still not sure if such a thing is possible.. Basically I am trying to build a powerful/compact system for live audio and video processing. Would also like to make it as future proof as possible. I've seen the BOMS on the NFC websites, which lists the 1050ti as the most powerful brickless build, but also read here that the newer HDPlex 160w unit is powerful enough to handle a 1060 (at least with an i5)?

I guess I'm wondering what would be the most powerful CPU/GPU combination I could fit in an S4 Mini case without needing an external power brick or having to modify/custom make parts?

Thanks!

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
I'm keen to see how the 8700 non-k performs in the S4M also, and what heatsink would be ideal given the space constrains / noise / heat etc.
I see somewhere in the forums that an internal 400W converter could be in development to support a brickless S4 build, don't ask me where though, sorry!
My ideal setup is the 8700 non-k with the next GTX xx70 iteration (1170 or 2070, whatever it will be known as come June / July when nVidia will hopefully announce the new Q2 2018 line-up).
I've seen nothing but good reviews on the MSI Aero ITX 1070, so hopefully that success can be replicated if they release the same ITX option in the new batch.
Short answer - 65w CPU / 1050ti YES as per http://nfc-systems.com/boms
GPUs with more grunt & S4 brickless - watch this space?

Reactions: Ghost

guyperson

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
Yeah I've given up on going brickless for the moment and decided on a more powerful setup that will hopefully become brickless in the near future: Gigabyte 1080 with a non-k 8700. Would be nice to wait for the new GTX cards but unfortunately my current computer is demanding an immediate retirement..

Reactions: br3nd0

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
Yeah I've given up on going brickless for the moment and decided on a more powerful setup that will hopefully become brickless in the near future: Gigabyte 1080 with a non-k 8700. Would be nice to wait for the new GTX cards but unfortunately my current computer is demanding an immediate retirement..

There was a gentleman that used a pico/g-unique power supply with this (also in 24v) and achieved a brickless S4. I just purchased one this week, so hopefully I can start building and wiring soon. There is also a 350w version that is slightly too large for the S4, but could probably be modded to fit.

guyperson

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
There was a gentleman that used a pico/g-unique power supply with this (also in 24v) and achieved a brickless S4. I just purchased one this week, so hopefully I can start building and wiring soon. There is also a 350w version that is slightly too large for the S4, but could probably be modded to fit.

Oh, very nice. What graphics card/cpu are you using? From what I've read it seems like 400w is about the minimum people recommend for a 1080 plus 65w cpu.

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
Oh, very nice. What graphics card/cpu are you using? From what I've read it seems like 400w is about the minimum people recommend for a 1080 plus 65w cpu.

I’ll be using a 970 mini. I’m waiting for the new line to come out. Fingers crossed pricing isn’t insane.