S4 + HDPlex 200 possible brickless + build questions

harber

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Jul 24, 2018
I've been running my S4 from a dynamo mini with an external Dell brick for a year and a half, and everything has been going well. A week ago or so I started getting power drops and I'd lose the system and need to unplug and replug to get stuff to work again. I ordered a HDPlex 200 DC-ATX because the 400 is out of stock, and I just need my rig to run immediately. Luckily they have a distribution center in CA and stuff gets to me in no time, which is awesome.

So I got the replacement installed, and it seems to work so far, which validates my belief it was the dynamo mini starting to fail. But now that this works, would I be able to use the HDPlex 200 AC-DC to go brickless with an i7 8700 and a 1060 mini? It feels like it's possible, but I know tdp has to be putting it close to the redline (or a little over? 65 + 120 + mobo), right? I can keep using my brick, I was just curious if a small config change could stop me from having that ugly black plastic lying around.

Also a comfort thing, but the front mount power button would have to be mashed pretty hard against one of the heat sinks on the HDPlex and it feels like it'd melt the shrinkwrapping on the button, so I didn't know if anybody else has mounted this and has an alternative button or setup trick that's less terrifying. I could probably do some mashing and bending and get it in there, but it didn't seem worth it, so it's hanging outside my case for now, lol.

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
Personal experience, 8700 DOES NOT consume 65W, it goes upto 80-85 during full load.
65 is TDP. the combo of 1060 mini and 8700 will not work unless you underclock or undervolt considerabley!

harber

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Jul 24, 2018
Good to know, thank you. I will be keeping the Dell plastic box of shame. :)