Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
Gotta dig some friendly competition in the price to performance ratio AMD!
I got my 1700 at launch so a little bummed I can't get that cash back but really dig this processor is a beast compared to my humble phenom II 1045t!
Now depending on how things go I might end up buying a second 1700 to put in a small case to function as a make shift server like I did back in the day with a old AM3 tri turned quad.

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
Most Ryzen CPUs are already selling for lower than retail price too. $299 gets you a 8 cores and 16 threads with a 1700 on Amazon. It will be interesting to see how much value you can get from a Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal this year.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That's weird, I wouldn't think AMD could afford to sacrifice profit to try to gain market share since it's not like they're swimming in cash.

Karamazovmm

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2016
That's weird, I wouldn't think AMD could afford to sacrifice profit to try to gain market share since it's not like they're swimming in cash.
I dont believe they are swimming in cash either, the issue is I believe a bit below that.
Rumors abound that Ryzen yields are higher than expected

That is one of the reasons that I think they can take the fall on the price.

Here is what happened, as I see.

AMD had the plan that they would make the most of their product for as long as they could, i.e. to focus on the their current r7 and r5 line up while intel had the current broadwell E platform.

Their marketing campaign focused a lot on that, how much they traded blows and how cheaper they were compared to the competition.

Their main premise here is a lot of performance for the price point.

While I do believe that yields are actually quite favorable, since they were published in a investor call earnings, meaning more than 80% are perfect (awesome number btw), they were taken by surprise by intel at computex.

Basically intel launched earlier the specs and showed how real the product, skylake X and kabylake X is. Meaning that they carved some of that market share from AMD. How large that market share is, is up to debate and research, however it exists.

So they now have to make the most of the opportunity cost, they can offer a CPU with high yields at a lower price and still recoup some of that marketshare while still trying to get some more while they still dont have a price competition, or they can maintain their price margin and lose on the opportunity cost and some marginal market.

Aside that we also have the incoming threadripper which should be launching soon. And that was basically developed to compete with the higher end of the skylake X. Offering more cores at more reasonable prices, with a good enough platform (read not staggered and cut down versions like intel do)

Threadripper should compete in price with intel due to lower IPC that ryzen has compared to their more modern CPUs. And that means that they need to make way for the 500-1000 bracket.

Sincerely I truly believe that their lower end CPUs will be around 500-600, that way they can enlarge their market over intel significantly

However there are some major issues with the intel platform

But meanwhile most of the publications have simply shown what intel wants to show, i.e. how good their high end chips are, the one that should be competing with ryzen and threadripper arent simply that good.

I have a very similar perception to his.

We also have the extremely cut down versions that are supposed to compete with the R7 lineup, while I truly believe that they should have a better performance than the entire ryzen lineup with the exception of threadripper in multi. They are so gimped that they will affect adversely both manufacturers and consumers.

Im not going to enter in the kabylake X mess and the things he approaches in the video, I recommend you to watch.

But for me the things that are worthwhile in the intel x299 line up is basically their 1k+ cpus.

Or if you can swallow the gimped cpus their 6 core entry range cpu should be the best value, despite not supporting a lot of stuff that should be supported and that was before this new mess that they made.