GPU RX 480 or wait for GTX 1060

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2015
If you're building mini-ITX you'll have to wait since the reference RX 480 is 240mm. We'll see what the non-reference AIBs are like. Sadly RX 480 power consumption is higher than I would have expected - about the same as a GTX 970 (which you *can* get w/ plenty of mini-ITX options), but if you're considering waiting, why not just wait a few weeks and see what the AIBs and the 1060 actually looks like (there have been zero official details on the 1060 released so I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for there).

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Wait for the 1060. The RX480 reviews so far say it cant overclock at all, so I am getting the impression that AIB's on the 1060 will probably put it ahead of the RX480. Hopefully the AIB's on the RX480 can correct the OC situation.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The GTX 1060 isn't available yet and neither are the specs, so it might be better, it might be worse. Considering the price-gouging going on with the GTX 1070 and 1080 and the on-average higher price you pay with Nvidia, t The RX480 is an OK card but I would wait for the custom cards so you can have a better performing and more quiet card. Maybe by then the GTX 1060 will have shown it's face, but it remains to be seen if it will be available in enough volume.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The RX 480's power consumption habits are questionable, at least to me. AIB's will have to release their own cards with better power management and cooling/overclocking headroom. Currently the GTX 970 comes closest to it in performance, and would probably match it if overclocked, and I'm expecting that the 1060 would perform similar to that.

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2015
Interestingly, undervolting the RX 480 seems to not only increase performance by about 5%, but also lowers power usage by 33 watts. It'll definitely be interesting to see how non-reference AIBs perform...

Reactions: Phuncz

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I hope this is good news for partner cards! Too bad the new Sapphire shroud is kind of ugly (at least IMO!) :(

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I hope this is good news for partner cards! Too bad the new Sapphire shroud is kind of ugly (at least IMO!) :(

GPU shrouds tends to be fugly with the last 2 generations of cards. Gamurz editions with extra fat shrouds, aggressive colours and disco ball lighting. I want classic, mat / satin black look back so badly :(

Good:

Ass:

Of course, that only involves myself ... tastes, colours ...

Last edited:

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2015
@IntoxicatedPuma: the black version at least is a big improvement over the silver.

One other interesting thing to point out powerwise I think are GamerNexus' system-level power measurements (their testbed is an i7-5930K CPU/X99 system I believe). The 480 and the 1070 are both "150W TDP" cards. Reference 970s are I believe supposed to be 170W TDP, but the EVGA SSC edition (which a lot of reviewers have been using) is 200W+.

Note that the 1340MHz overclock adds another 80W to the power usage. If we mark the standard card at 150W, that means the OC is pulling 230W through PCIe + 6pin. :eek:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
GPU shrouds tends to be fugly with the last 2 generations of cards. Gamurz editions with extra fat shrouds, aggressive colours and disco ball lighting. I want classic, mat / satin black look back so badly :(
Indeed ! Lets not forget the trend of expanding the GPU well outside the PCIe card spec in every dimension. I'm predicting by 2020 we'll have cards that will need a tower case with the motherboard on the bottom floor and the card vertically. For the three 200mm fans, 5kg heatsink and 30 heatpipes each 50cm long.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Even when I WAS building ATX systems, I still found the custom GPU boards and coolers to be obnoxiously huge.

ITXtended

Efficiency Noob
Jul 2, 2016
itxtended.com
Wait for the 1060. The RX480 reviews so far say it cant overclock at all, so I am getting the impression that AIB's on the 1060 will probably put it ahead of the RX480. Hopefully the AIB's on the RX480 can correct the OC situation.
This isn't the best information. If you turn the power limit up in AMD's Wattman tool to around 20-50% you will achieve stable over clocks UP TO 1360Mhz over the base clock of 1120Mhz (+20% increase). Early reviewers failed to do this because the Wattman tool was new at the time of testing and they weren't sure how to use it. You have to find the sweet spot for your particular silicon. I'd say go with the 480 because you don't have to wait. I just got two in today and I'm waiting on one more to show up.

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2015
I think we're getting a pretty good idea that the reference 480 board performs poorly from an OC perspective. A couple points of interest:
  • Gamersnexus replaced the reference cooler and got great temperatures but did not get much on the clock even hitting 190W+ to the GPU (probably about 230W for the board)
  • People have started picking apart the VBIOS - interestingly, the TDP is 110W and TDC is 107A for the GPU, both seem sort of low?
  • The Saphire Nitro is coming out very soon at ~$275 and w/ 1325-1350MHz clocks, and the Powercolor DEVIL is reportedly clocking about 1.4GHz so I guess we'll see soon what's what.
  • Buildzoid (Actually Hardcore Overclocking) started doing some volt-modding today and livestreamed a firsthand look at the board (semi-interesting about 50min in, pretty entertaining stuff) Summary: ref board 6pin totally out of spec, wired as an 8pin! the mod he did during the livestream was to bridge the power planes to draw from the 6pin so that it probably brings the PCIe draw into spec (maybe) - by default half the vcore VRMs pull from PCIe; ultimately requires software voltage control (which exists) to OC
In any case, if you're going to just plug the 480 reference card in and forget about it, great, if you want to tweak it, you'll def want to wait for non-ref AIBs (and wait to see how their PCBs are laid out even). Now that there are some details on the 1060 leaking, I think it might be entertaining to see how it compares. The claim a lower 120W TDP (worth noting the 1070 exceeds its 150W claim by a fair amount at default clocks) and 15% better performance than the 480 (but w/ literally half the cores of the 1070, so somewhat suspect). What'll be most interesting will be the price point and the supply constraints (can't imagine Nvidia trying to pull a FE type scam w/ the 1060). Well, competition is a good thing. :)

Reactions: veryrarium

ITXtended

Efficiency Noob
Jul 2, 2016
itxtended.com
Have you seen pictures of the 1060?? Definitely has the LOOK of an FE to me! Lets hope they skip the FE this time for the sake of more cards in stock for once!

As stated by others, there are some very good AIB cards coming that we all hope to fix the power issues that these cards are generating. The Nitro, Strix, and Devil should all over clock well if they are revised correctly to divvy up the wattage properly (8 pin pcie). I have a feeling that the RX 480, in its early infancy, is just scratching the surface! It's an exciting time to see what these non-reference cards will be able to do!

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2015
Have you seen pictures of the 1060?? Definitely has the LOOK of an FE to me! Lets hope they skip the FE this time for the sake of more cards in stock for once!

lolol, $299 for a FE apparently: http://videocardz.com/61917/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-to-cost-249-299-usd

(that being said, I'm personally pretty excited about the 1070s coming in laptops starting next month. If there are VR capable thinner 14/15s and if there are still no Polaris 10 portables in sight, I will probably end up paying the several $k premium to get one of those)

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
RX480 still wins on:
  • Compute performance: 5.8 TFLOPS vs 4.4 TFLOPS
  • Max memory: 8GB vs 6GB
  • Memory bus width: 256 bits vs 192 bits
  • Memory bandwidth: 256 GB/s vs 192 GB/s
  • Price: $239 vs $299
That's settled for me, if I can't get that passive Firepro then I'll get an RX480. Sorry nvidia but I don't like your elitist pricing policy.

Dun expect non-FE for $249, it'll be the same than the 1070/1080. Custom cooler version will cost as much or more than the FE models.