CPU [Rumor ]Ryzen Strix Halo - 16CU up to 40CU APU

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017

Jace

Chassis Packer
Jan 28, 2017
Laptops? That's where the chips are going. Makes way more sense to have an powerful APU in a laptop than a CPU and a GPU separately. Less power draw, less heat, better battery life, simpler cooling solution design, more room for other components, etc. Honestly I've been baffled why AMD hasn't done something like this before already.
Also, I mean not to be rude but did you watch the whole video? Everything I just said was said in the video too.

judokamak

Trash Compacter
Sep 25, 2019
Laptops? That's where the chips are going. Makes way more sense to have an powerful APU in a laptop than a CPU and a GPU separately. Less power draw, less heat, better battery life, simpler cooling solution design, more room for other components, etc. Honestly I've been baffled why AMD hasn't done something like this before already.
Also, I mean not to be rude but did you watch the whole video? Everything I just said was said in the video too.
I think it's about resources. Remember where they were when Lisa Su took over.
They've been focusing on the server market (biggest margins), which brought them more cash, which they can invest in other markets, in this case laptops which is (if i remember correctly) way bigger market than desktops. MLIS also said that their plan was/is to attack laptop market next year, which is why they would need super APU-s.

Reactions: Jace