RTX 3060Ti Aero alternative? Meet the DIY PALIT StormX 3060Ti ITX Edition

Moncavo

Average Stuffer
Mar 11, 2020
Hello guys!!!
I have a RTX 3060 Ti from Palit, but Dual OC version with RGB or ARGB. And I also want to mod to make it ITX too. But my warranty would be voided, I can only do it in 2024.
This is my card: https://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=3883&lang=pt
I wonder if has the single itx card with RGB or ARGB for it.
Both of the Palit that I found in AliExpress doesn't have all the thermal pad to fill. I only found the PNY.

Both Palit that doesn't have all the thermal pads.

This PNY has all.

And I will order too this backplate to cut.
I can use my existing thermal pads from my 3060ti in 2024?

mikefize

Caliper Novice
Feb 11, 2022
AFAIK you only need the 3rd thermal pad if you want to mod the RTX A4000.

But honestly - I wouldn't plan what to do with my card in 2024 today ;-) A lot of things will probably change until then and for the price of the cooler (+ resale value of the 3060ti) you will most likely get a faster, more efficient GPU in an ITX form factor.

Robotanv

Cable Smoosher
Dec 11, 2020
The smallest cards I was aware of were this aero card and the EVGA 3060Ti but couldn't get hold of either!

I did manage to get hold of the zotac 3060ti which was fairly straightforward to mod and may be easier to get hold of. Video below if you're interested..

Reactions: Runamok81

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
@Robotanv - Ah yes, that is a GREAT video. With regard to performance per liter, OptimumTech did something similar here.

I'm sooo glad that video talks about the power budget. Very useful. Thank you!
That video is going to inform my similar plans. I think the HDPlex 400W should be enough to power a DIY 3060 Ti along with the 65W 5600X? The S4 and Skyreach Mini are beautiful, but they aren't in stock anywhere, right now. I missed that boat.

However I do have something similar with the smaller 4.2L Logic Supply MC600. My daily driver is the Little Mac and I'm hoping I can upgrade it with this DIY 3060 Ti + 5600X + HDPlex 400W.

My build won't be brickless... well... unless of course I can track down one of those newer 330W Dell GaN power bricks and get it inside the chassis, but I doubt that. You can see that svelte new GaN brick just after the 1m30s mark here.

Last edited:

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
Finally gotten around to doing the ITX mod for my Leadtek 3060ti Gene ES.

Tested it before taking it apart in Timespy, average temps were around 66C, with ambient being 32C, Graphics Score 11194.

Thermal pads do line up.

And I didn't kill my card!

Thermals with mod are increased, now averaging around 70C, and 11176 Graphics Score in Timespy.

\

Special thanks to @REVOCCASES for the backplate! (Need to clean it up a little).

Moncavo

Average Stuffer
Mar 11, 2020

Tested it before taking it apart in Timespy, average temps were around 66C, with ambient being 32C, Graphics Score 11194.

Thermal pads do line up.

Thermals with mod are increased, now averaging around 70C, and 11176 Graphics Score in Timespy.

\

Special thanks to @REVOCCASES for the backplate! (Need to clean it up a little).
Where did you get? In ali express, there is no 3060 ti storm x, only 3060.

Moncavo

Average Stuffer
Mar 11, 2020
I am not sure I fully understand your question.

There isn't any 3060ti Storm X out there, and that's why the whole thread was created: to mod a short enough 3060ti card with the Storm X's cooler.
I mean where did you get the air cooler of exact 3060 ti of storm x for your card.
The only in ali that I find is this:

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
I mean where did you get the air cooler of exact 3060 ti of storm x for your card.
The only in ali that I find is this:
That is the correct one. Like previous, there are no official 3060ti storm x or PNY/Gainward models coolers.

All the coolers for the mod will be using the 3060 cooler. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: REVOCCASES

Moncavo

Average Stuffer
Mar 11, 2020

Thermal pads do line up.

\

You card has 55mm between the chip?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
@REVOCCASES - feel like making me one of those backplates? I just impulse bought a 3060Ti with ref. PCB while I'm waiting to see what happens with my 6800XT :D

@SFFMunkee - Revo has got a dxf of his backplate he may be able share. Not sure of your location, but SendCutSend was able to use the dxf to make four backplates for me for $35 or so.

at current shipping rates it doesn't make much sense to offer the backplate for the community so I'd suggest to get one made locally as @Runamok81 did.

The laser cutting drawings are attached to this post (material: 1.5mm AlMg3).

important: the mounting holes are designed for M3 PEM press inserts to offset the backplate by about 3mm and prevent it from touching any components on the PCB 🧨. But I think you can also use some washers and/or nuts and bolts.

Attachments

• 3060Ti-ITX-Backplate.zip
    5.7 KB · Views: 38

Moncavo

Average Stuffer
Mar 11, 2020
Is there any mod that adds ARGB on backplate and on the single fan?

Last edited:

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
So my 3060Ti has arrived, I ended up with a PNY RTX 3060Ti 8GB UPRISING. I've been playing with the freq/volt curve today to see what it can manage at lower power (and voltage), and what it can do when allowed the full power budget (~200W) but lower voltage on GPU. Results to come soon :)

I haven't yet modded the cooling, as I can't decide whether to go with the ITX air cooler (easier) or Bykski waterblock and add to my external watercooling loop (cooler & quieter)

Reactions: REVOCCASES

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Apr 8, 2022
wow, this is really cool, i wonder what could be done with some of the longer older GPU's in this fashion. As in to "shrink" a GPU to fit a small case

mikefize

Caliper Novice
Feb 11, 2022
wow, this is really cool, i wonder what could be done with some of the longer older GPU's in this fashion. As in to "shrink" a GPU to fit a small case
The most powerful card you can "shrink" to ITX dimensions atm is the RTX A4000. You can use the same cooler mentioned in this thread. The PCB is pretty much identical to the Reference 3060 but uses a lower clocked 3070Ti GPU and comes with 16gb Vram. Due to the lower clock (workstation card an such) the performance is more comparable to the 3060Ti, but with a much lower power consumption (~140 W).

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Apr 8, 2022
The most powerful card you can "shrink" to ITX dimensions atm is the RTX A4000. You can use the same cooler mentioned in this thread. The PCB is pretty much identical to the Reference 3060 but uses a lower clocked 3070Ti GPU and comes with 16gb Vram. Due to the lower clock (workstation card an such) the performance is more comparable to the 3060Ti, but with a much lower power consumption (~140 W).
yeah ok, that is quite an expensive card, i think ill target a 3050 aero or 1650 super