Rivet nuts

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Anyone use rivet nuts? Altering a case and need to fix new back panel..........could drill and self tap. use small nuts n bolts, or rivet. But rivet fixings more tedious to take apart again, then I saw rivet nuts. looks tidy enough. Anyone used them? If I use I will want smallest size possible.
Case is steel (1mm) but new back plate will be aluminium.

Reactions: Ceros_X

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
They seem like a good idea, but I'm not sold yet on them. You need a heckuva press to get them in properly and I did order them in a high end prototype and even then one or two of them came loose.

Maybe you will have better luck with them.

Peace!

Reactions: Ceros_X and Phuncz

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017
Oh wow, so a rivet nut is a rivet that has a thread inside for fixing a bolt too? Pretty cool, I feel like you might get a better result though with using a classic nut and bolt, even if it's on you make yourself (if you happen to have access to a metal lathe). You can vary bolts quite a bit and they'll still work.

Hermit2001

Trash Compacter
Apr 26, 2016
Anyone use rivet nuts? Altering a case and need to fix new back panel..........could drill and self tap. use small nuts n bolts, or rivet. But rivet fixings more tedious to take apart again, then I saw rivet nuts. looks tidy enough. Anyone used them? If I use I will want smallest size possible.
Case is steel (1mm) but new back plate will be aluminium.
They are fairly easy to install, you just need the tool to install and that costs ~£30 and up. I think I've seen M3 as the smallest size. You need to drill the correct size hole and practice with getting the right level of 'squeeze' on the tool so that it holds firm when tightening the screws thread. This will also vary with material thickness.
The rivnuts do protrude out the back a bit but M3 may not be much, you should be able to figure this out from a datasheet. Look at rswww.com or McMaster Carr.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Rusty McFot

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
I use rivnuts or "nutserts" almost every other day at work.

What do you want to know?

If you want an even better presentation, google "flush nuts"

Harder to install, requires a hydraulic hex punch or machining but look great and are flush.