Concept 3.94L 3D printed slim case for an ITX board, LP GPU and a Flex 1U PSU

Alpha_Salsa

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 27, 2023
Pleasure to meet you, I've just discovered this forum while searching for similar stuff to my project and it seems like a nice place to start before posting the final product on other sites when it's eventually done. I don't know if people also post progress here or if there may be a better thread to post this, but I'll see.

This is my first shot at an 3D printed chassis. I couldn't find a single case that fit my criteria or with easy accessibility from where I live, so here I am.
I will not be selling this, when I'm content with the product I'll upload the files so people can print it themselves if they're interested.

My criteria:
- slim case you can put vertically or horizontally
- smallest possible case with smallest possible parts that aren't exessively hard to come by, i.e. the popular GaN psu would've been even more compact, but there's more choice for flex U1 units and a higher price range.
-3D printable (duh), I love the projects other people put up, so I want to add to that community
- working with a small print bed, 20x20 is very accessible and it's what I have myself

So here's some pictures,

The case consists of 4 printed parts, the only other accessories needed are some M3/M4 nuts and bolts.

There will be a lot of bolts and nuts showing. For this project function will take priority over form, simply because it's easier. If I just end up with a chassis that has all the right measurements, that a huge success already.

Case size: 360x190x57=3.94L
Internal case size: 356x185x52=3.43L
Power button: 16mm

Motherboard: standard ITX 170x170
Cooler clearance: ~37mm
RAM clearance: ~42mm
6mm of space under the motherboard.

PSU: Flex 1U
max size: 170x82x41

GPU: length: ~182mm, width: 2 slots, height: no more than the IO shield

There's no current space for harddrives.

The holes have 50% flowtrough rate.

Printer: 200x200x62 required bed space.

Now, the current case in the pictures has a width of 176 (3.65L), not 190. It's because I've already started test printing that version, so I'll fix up any mismeasurements and then andjust the width for the final version. The bigger one can hold longer gpus (4060 wink wink), has more space for cables and more breathing room for the motherboard, I may only release that version.

I'm working with a riser with a female end that bends 180°, as they're rarer I'll have to adjust the case for a 90° bend riser, but a straight one isn't possible. I sadly don't have a 90° bending one, so I'll try to extrapolate where the holes would need to be.

I know that threaded inserts are much more practical, but I'm only working with nuts here. Primarily because I wanted to make this the most accessible as possible in terms of tools and printing. I use two types for fastening the bolts.

The nut is simply held in while fastening the bolt, which I only use for the outside of the case.

The nut is droped into a little pocket, for inside the case and positions you can't just hold it.

Reactions: Ca11idus and dealda

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Nice project, you may get a lot of warping when trying to print the sides, and i would suggest printing as slow as you can tolerate on the final version to minimize warping. Also try using the most dimensional stable filament you can even if the heat resistance is less than ideal, maybe like PLA+.

For the tray part with the i/o cover, not only is the top is very thin but will be annoying to print all the support there. I would maybe see if its possible if out integrate the top of the I/O shield to actually be part of the "Lid" piece so it won't break or require the suppor tthere.

Same thing with the PSU. You can use the upper PSU mounting points as a structural member to keep the lid attached.

Alpha_Salsa

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 27, 2023
Nice project, you may get a lot of warping when trying to print the sides, and i would suggest printing as slow as you can tolerate on the final version to minimize warping. Also try using the most dimensional stable filament you can even if the heat resistance is less than ideal, maybe like PLA+.

For the tray part with the i/o cover, not only is the top is very thin but will be annoying to print all the support there. I would maybe see if its possible if out integrate the top of the I/O shield to actually be part of the "Lid" piece so it won't break or require the suppor tthere.

Same thing with the PSU. You can use the upper PSU mounting points as a structural member to keep the lid attached.

Thanks for the feedback, the gpu/psu part just finished printing.

There's a little warping on the part of the PSU, I don't know how much I'll change this part tough. I was about the print the second case part, it's a good idea for the motherboard actually.

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
@Alpha_Salsa ...doing just the cover would be easier and accessibility wise it looks like you're based somewhere € and QWERTZ (like me)?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
There's definitely some areas i need to work on, but having this irl feels awesome.

Hey how is it going? I'm curious about the progress of this project as I'm recently dabbling into 3D prints as well (although not specifically for PC)

Alpha_Salsa

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 27, 2023
Hey how is it going? I'm curious about the progress of this project as I'm recently dabbling into 3D prints as well (although not specifically for PC)
Hi, this case specifically I've put on ice, for a first I didn't pick an easy formfactor. I have made plenty of design mistakes I have learned from, from which I went into this project. I'm just about make a post about the final version. I'll pick the formfactor up again sometime, because I love console cases.

Reactions: ignsvn

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hi, this case specifically I've put on ice, for a first I didn't pick an easy formfactor. I have made plenty of design mistakes I have learned from, from which I went into this project. I'm just about make a post about the final version. I'll pick the formfactor up again sometime, because I love console cases.

I see. Yeah your first razor-thin console-style layout is rather interesting - definitely not something I see very often (or at least it's been a while since the NFC, CustomMod, or Sentry cases). Would nicely slide under TV consoles.