Recently switched from FormD T1 to nCase M1 - what needs replacing?

T_Dawg

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
So I've been trying to build a new system for the last 2 months. Originally I thought I was fortunate to get in on an ordering window for a FormD T1, but turns out they're facing supply problems and don't know when orders might ship now. So I took advantage of their cancellation offer.

The M1 was my runner up case choice, and coincidentally I was able to get an order in for one with roughly the same delivery window as my orginal T1 order, finger's crossed.

However my parts build was structured around building in the T1 with all of its constraints. So my question is, do I need to swap out any of this or should it all still work in an M1?

ASUS ROG Switch x570-I Gaming motherboard
Corsair H100i Pro XT AIO cooler (don't judge)
Fan swap for AIO (Noctua 12mm and 25mm fans) - this was one constraint of the T1 case - dual 25mm fans wouldn't fit and Corsair's defaults were a bit noisy.
Corsair SFX-750 PSU
Single 2.5" SSD (7mm thick)

And I've yet to source a video card, but I wasn't looking at any liquid cooled options in the T1, but since the M1 is a bit larger, I'd be open to what might work. I found this spreadsheet in another post that I'm using as a guide.

Anyway, if anyone has any feedback regarding component fit in the M1 I'd be appreciative. Not looking for judgement over motherboard choice or any other components. Had my reasons.

I'm also going to look at some build videos and read more here as well.

Thanks.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Anything that would work in the T1 will work in the M1. M1 is the Queen Bee of hardware compatibility in SFF. If you don't have a GPU already...you're in for some hurt, basically everything is out of stock including last gen--and what little there is in stock is being scalped.

Reactions: SashaLag

T_Dawg

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
If you don't have a GPU already...you're in for some hurt, basically everything is out of stock including last gen--and what little there is in stock is being scalped.
Oh, I am certainly aware and am most definitely sad about the GPU availability situation. I only kick myself for waiting on AMD's R6000 cards performance numbers before earnestly trying to source a 3080. Cyberpunk 2077 does not like my 1080 GTX at 3840x1600 resolutions....

womp womp

I keep telling myself to stay strong and not give into local scalpers who have cards.

Reactions: rfarmer

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Oh, I am certainly aware and am most definitely sad about the GPU availability situation. I only kick myself for waiting on AMD's R6000 cards performance numbers before earnestly trying to source a 3080. Cyberpunk 2077 does not like my 1080 GTX at 3840x1600 resolutions....

womp womp

I keep telling myself to stay strong and not give into local scalpers who have cards.

Heh, well word on the street is Ampere Ti is coming....to whomever can actually buy it with their army of bots..... as NVidia got embarrassed in price and rasterization and memory by RDNA2. If anything, those who paid big for Ampere are kicking themselves as well; because only 3 months in and there's already a lineup refresh....with double the GPU RAM.

This whole fall was one impossible to buy product after another. And the spring will probably be that way as well. Maybe by summer things might get better.

Epos7

Trash Compacter
Aug 24, 2019
I got lucky and got a 3080. I'm really happy with it. The upcoming Ti version will be welcome, although at $300 more I'm not feeling bad about my purchase. The AMD cards are nice too, but they really can't hang in Cyberpunk if you want to play with ray tracing, which looks amazing. Getting on one of the EVGA waiting lists seems to be the most reliable way to get a card...eventually. I was lucky a coworker had signed up early and let me have it at cost.

As far as the NCASE build, all of those components will work. If you do consider watercooling the GPU, ditch the AIO and build a custom loop. The AIO will make it easy to get up and running quickly though, custom loop takes a lot of planning.

Depending on what graphics card you get you may not be able to fit 25mm fans under it. Definitely not if you build a custom loop and put a TX240 slim radiator under the card (it's the only one that fits).

In either of those two situations, those slim Noctua fans will be perfect (assuming you meant 15mm and not 12mm).

D

Deleted member 23607

I got lucky and got a 3080. I'm really happy with it. The upcoming Ti version will be welcome, although at $300 more I'm not feeling bad about my purchase. The AMD cards are nice too, but they really can't hang in Cyberpunk if you want to play with ray tracing, which looks amazing. Getting on one of the EVGA waiting lists seems to be the most reliable way to get a card...eventually. I was lucky a coworker had signed up early and let me have it at cost.

As far as the NCASE build, all of those components will work. If you do consider watercooling the GPU, ditch the AIO and build a custom loop. The AIO will make it easy to get up and running quickly though, custom loop takes a lot of planning.

Depending on what graphics card you get you may not be able to fit 25mm fans under it. Definitely not if you build a custom loop and put a TX240 slim radiator under the card (it's the only one that fits).

In either of those two situations, those slim Noctua fans will be perfect (assuming you meant 15mm and not 12mm).

Noctua doesn't sell 12mm fans. Heh.
There is however, the "A12x13" aka sanded down A12x15.

• Haha
Reactions: thelaughingman

OneShot

What's an ITX?
New User
Jan 5, 2021
Anything that would work in the T1 will work in the M1. M1 is the Queen Bee of hardware compatibility in SFF. If you don't have a GPU already...you're in for some hurt, basically everything is out of stock including last gen--and what little there is in stock is being scalped.
This is surprisingly not true. My MSI twin frozr 1070ti will fit in my T1 but not the ncase m1. You can confirm this by looking up the dimensions and comparing the case dimensions.