Need suggestion on air flow

PrachChan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jan 31, 2018
Hi all,

I just order M1 and waiting for the delivery. I plan to use existing components from my current setup, which are;

CPU: 7700K
Cooler: NH-U9S (2fans)
MB: Asus strix H270i
PSU: corsair SF600
RAM: LPX 16GB 2400
HDD: 2x3.5" HDD and 1 SSD
GPU: Arous 1080Ti Xtreme

My concerns are;

1. the air flow for CPU since I can't find any build log with U9S and 2 3.5"HDD
2. Some build log with Arous 1080Ti, as I read that M1 can fit but I'm not really sure

Do i need to change my components or what kind of setup should i use? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you so much for your kind support.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Hi all,

I just order M1 and waiting for the delivery. I plan to use existing components from my current setup, which are;

CPU: 7700K
Cooler: NH-U9S (2fans)
MB: Asus strix H270i
PSU: corsair SF600
RAM: LPX 16GB 2400
HDD: 2x3.5" HDD and 1 SSD
GPU: Arous 1080Ti Xtreme

My concerns are;

1. the air flow for CPU since I can't find any build log with U9S and 2 3.5"HDD
2. Some build log with Arous 1080Ti, as I read that M1 can fit but I'm not really sure

Do i need to change my components or what kind of setup should i use? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you so much for your kind support.

I know the Gigabyte Arous 1080 will just barely fit but the Ti will not, unless you mean the hybrid model which fits fine. Check out the contributor spreadsheet. The non extreme 1080 is 140mm wide which is max, the 1080 Ti is 142mm, the Ti is also longer at 293mm vs 287mm. I read about someone trying to fit one and they said they were just unable to get it in the case.

PrachChan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jan 31, 2018
I know the Gigabyte Arous 1080 will just barely fit but the Ti will not, unless you mean the hybrid model which fits fine. Check out the The non extreme 1080 is 140mm wide which is max, the 1080 Ti is 142mm, the Ti is also longer at 293mm vs 287mm. I read about someone trying to fit one and they said they were just unable to get it in the case.

Wow. Never knew there is a useful sheet like this before. Thank you so much for your kind support. Seems like I need to find a new GPU for my build then.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Wow. Never knew there is a useful sheet like this before. Thank you so much for your kind support. Seems like I need to find a new GPU for my build then.

If you are looking for a 3 fan GPU you could go with the Asus Strix. They are apparently a PITA to get in the case but they do fit.

PrachChan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jan 31, 2018
If you are looking for a 3 fan GPU you could go with the Asus Strix. They are apparently a PITA to get in the case but they do fit.

Thank you. just check with some of my local store and online site, they all out of stock. i can only hope that the mining madness will end soon.

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
To save starting a new thread, I have a very similar question.

I’m waiting delivery of the M1 case and I am looking to get the Asus Strix 1080Ti. Can someone confirm it will (even if difficult) to fit please ?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
To save starting a new thread, I have a very similar question.

I’m waiting delivery of the M1 case and I am looking to get the Asus Strix 1080Ti. Can someone confirm it will (even if difficult) to fit please ?

Strix 1080 Ti in Ncase.

Another one.

Reactions: MultiDoc

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
Much appreciated rfarmer !!! Exactly what I was looking for.

Any idea what the clearance is below the Strix 1080Ti ? Is there enough space to fit normal with case intake fans, or should i go with only slim ones ?

Thanks again.

Edit: I know that the rear exhaust can accomodate a 92mm fan, but is it possible to fit a bigger diameter there ? (for lower rpm/lower noise)

PrachChan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jan 31, 2018
Hi guys,

I finally receive my M1 and just finish with my build so I think I should give you guys an update. Thank you so much for all your kind support.

Here is my pic. Absolutely love M1. I decided to go with Gigabyte 1080Ti gaming in the end.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I am a little worried about having the 2 bottom case intake fans sitting so close to the stock fan shroud of the Gigabyte 1080Ti Gaming.

I suggest you to pay some attention to this area, both thermally and acoustically. Regarding the latter, having 2 'layers' of fans (1 layer being the 3 Gigabyte fans and another layer of the 2 Noctua intake fans) so close will very likely to provide non desirable turbulence and noise.

PrachChan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jan 31, 2018
I am a little worried about having the 2 bottom case intake fans sitting so close to the stock fan shroud of the Gigabyte 1080Ti Gaming.

I suggest you to pay some attention to this area, both thermally and acoustically. Regarding the latter, having 2 'layers' of fans (1 layer being the 3 Gigabyte fans and another layer of the 2 Noctua intake fans) so close will very likely to provide non desirable turbulence and noise.

Thank you for your suggestion. I also do concern about the fan layers as well. Could you please help suggest on how can I check the turbulence in the case?

On the side note, before I install 2 fans at the bottom, my Gigabyte 1080Ti make very loud noise and the temp spike really fast. but after I install 2 fans the noise is much better. however the temp remain relatively similar at around 82c. I already check that there is no obstacle on all 3 Gigabyte fans.

in terms of overall temp, having the GPU does significantly increase overall temp of my M1. details are

without GPU
with 2 fans at bottom - CPU idle 33c / load 68c
without 2 fans - CPU idle 38c / load 75c

with GPU
with 2 fans - CPU idle 40c / load 78c
without 2 fans - CPU idle 45c / load 82c

note that my room temp is around 24c. and the temp does change all the time so I use the average number based from running Furmark for 20 mins. All my fans are set to auto using "Performance" profile from Asus AI3 application.

is there any other way for me to improve the temp without removing my HDDs? I try to find slim fan but they don't sell those fan here in my country.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
You want the best air cooling for a GPU in the Ncase get an Arctic Accelero III and use 2 fans mounted in the bottom as exhaust. This way you are not increasing CPU temps. It will cool better and be quieter.

Reactions: MultiDoc

D1rtyB1rd

What's an ITX?
Nov 6, 2018
You want the best air cooling for a GPU in the Ncase get an Arctic Accelero III and use 2 fans mounted in the bottom as exhaust. This way you are not increasing CPU temps. It will cool better and be quieter.

rfarmer, I have this exact setup for my daughters PC. Can you let me know the specfics of this setup as far as cpu and psu fan setup? What are your temps like?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
rfarmer, I have this exact setup for my daughters PC. Can you let me know the specfics of this setup as far as cpu and psu fan setup? What are your temps like?

Sorry I actually got that pic off pcpartpicker. I can tell you the likely fan arrangement is 120mm intake on the side bracket with the Noctua exhausting out the back. 2 bottom fans as exhaust for the Accelero Xtreme III. Most users have found that exhausting out of the bottom keeps the GPU heat from being recycled by the CPU.