Enclosure Realan K3

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
ON the plus side a vandal switch fits pretty well where the stock switch goes and looks a lot better

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
ON the plus side a vandal switch fits pretty well where the stock switch goes and looks a lot better
I also replaced my Realan switch with a vandal style. Unfortunately it was too long and ran into the 24pin cable coming out of the power board (looks like your case would have the same problem?) I solved this by ditching the cheap Realan power board and getting a PicoPSU 160XT.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
I also replaced my Realan switch with a vandal style. Unfortunately it was too long and ran into the 24pin cable coming out of the power board (looks like your case would have the same problem?) I solved this by ditching the cheap Realan power board and getting a PicoPSU 160XT.

My vandal switch is pretty short as it was in my S4 but no LED either so does not interfere with the PSU. Still up in the air as to using that board or a similar 19V version I have. Will just keep the stock USB/audio board I think.

The body is about 16.5mm to end of terminals, looking at a 20mm w/LED should still fit OK.

Last edited:

tnysff

Average Stuffer
Mar 27, 2019

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
Figures, though the usb 2.0 has worked out OK, only really use it for transferring photos, music etc

Sharpie fix for cheapish look

Last edited:

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
One downside of this case is there is no middle row of ventilation slots and using the low profile fan meant that it was not really getting any fresh air, so CPU and mobo temps were running low 50s C with cover on. After being on awhile it was just recirculating warm air.

So I started looking at the Wraith Stealth stock cooler again and only needed 1-2mm to fit. As I looked further, I noticed that there were spacers on the screw tabs and these were about 3mm and a subtle but different color of black than the fan housing. Applying a fingernail and these easily slid off, only weakly glued with a gum rubber apparently. Re-mounted the Wraith and it now fits with 1-2mm to spare, photo shows the spacer on lower right with gummy residue. Still quiet except for initial boot when fans max out, but silent otherwise. So far about 10-15C lower temps depending on sensor, high 30s to low 40sC.

tnysff

Average Stuffer
Mar 27, 2019
One downside of this case is there is no middle row of ventilation slots and using the low profile fan meant that it was not really getting any fresh air, so CPU and mobo temps were running low 50s C with cover on. After being on awhile it was just recirculating warm air.

So I started looking at the Wraith Stealth stock cooler again and only needed 1-2mm to fit. As I looked further, I noticed that there were spacers on the screw tabs and these were about 3mm and a subtle but different color of black than the fan housing. Applying a fingernail and these easily slid off, only weakly glued with a gum rubber apparently. Re-mounted the Wraith and it now fits with 1-2mm to spare, photo shows the spacer on lower right with gummy residue. Still quiet except for initial boot when fans max out, but silent otherwise. So far about 10-15C lower temps depending on sensor, high 30s to low 40sC.

So you went from the stock cooler heat sink with the Titan fan, back to the stock fan without spacers? Is it better because the fan top is so close to the case top that the air cannot recirculate? Or was it that the TITAN does not give enough flow?

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
So you went from the stock cooler heat sink with the Titan fan, back to the stock fan without spacers? Is it better because the fan top is so close to the case top that the air cannot recirculate? Or was it that the TITAN does not give enough flow?
More of an experiment, but I think the titan was not close enough to the vents to draw cool air so the case would gradually warm up. You can actually feel the stock fan drawing cool air but I think its a bit less effective without spacers but better overall. The titan airflow seemed fine, but with vent position not even half the fan is near the vent holes. But at least stock fan is right there and the vents aren't that big.

1000 words

Last edited:

tnysff

Average Stuffer
Mar 27, 2019
More of an experiment, but I think the titan was not close enough to the vents to draw cool air so the case would gradually warm up. You can actually feel the stock fan drawing cool air but I think its a bit less effective without spacers but better overall. The titan airflow seemed fine, but with vent position not even half the fan is near the vent holes. But at least stock fan is right there and the vents aren't that big.

1000 words

I see, it is pretty limited, although the holes are nice size. I am about to do a build on a MX500 case, small holes all over...

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
I see, it is pretty limited, although the holes are nice size. I am about to do a build on a MX500 case, small holes all over...

Ended up putting my old 3770K in an MX500 recently, haven't run it much though as it's just a backup which may end up on ebay. The 2400G/K3 replaced it.