Log RCC Pocket Rocket No.2 - Ryzen 9 & RTX 4070 <4L build

SuperMiniPCs

Case Bender
New User
Jul 26, 2022
Hello, first time poster, long time lurker. I'm designing a similar layout case, so I was wondering: is it okay if I ask a few questions to learn from your build, but no worries if you can't!

• How did you secure the screws and stand offs? I'm planning on using rivet nuts with angled aluminum bars (save money on bends -- I was thinking about hand bending, but probably wouldn't be strong -- I like the design of your bends -- looks very efficient!) . I'm either going with with 2mm aluminum or 3.2mm plywood (to save money or just make a prototype)
  • I'm most worried about the motherboard moving around in the sandwich layout
  • Do you think this is sturdy enough to throw into a backpack? I'm planning on using an SFX PSU, Mini itx mobo, and mini itx gpu. I'm willing to give it a shot and find, but I'm wondering if I should go with a design like the beamcase (would be much larger though)
No worries if you are too busy -- these are kinda newbie questions haha

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Hello, first time poster, long time lurker. I'm designing a similar layout case, so I was wondering: is it okay if I ask a few questions to learn from your build, but no worries if you can't!

• How did you secure the screws and stand offs? I'm planning on using rivet nuts with angled aluminum bars (save money on bends -- I was thinking about hand bending, but probably wouldn't be strong -- I like the design of your bends -- looks very efficient!) . I'm either going with with 2mm aluminum or 3.2mm plywood (to save money or just make a prototype)
  • I'm most worried about the motherboard moving around in the sandwich layout
  • Do you think this is sturdy enough to throw into a backpack? I'm planning on using an SFX PSU, Mini itx mobo, and mini itx gpu. I'm willing to give it a shot and find, but I'm wondering if I should go with a design like the beamcase (would be much larger though)
No worries if you are too busy -- these are kinda newbie questions haha

sure...

• I made threads (M3) directly in the panels; for the standoffs I'm using hex standoffs - IMO that's the easiest way for DIY
  • If you look at the photos I posted, you'll see that the motherboard tray is secured with screws from the back and bottom of the case, plus the cover has small slots to hold the tray in place - this is very sturdy
  • with ITX, SFX and ITX GPU you'll end up in the 5-7L range like e.g. the VELKA cases, their design is quite sturdy and I saw a couple of people taking them in a backpack (for me, this would be too large & heavy for taking in a backpack). Another very nice case design is the MIDORI, although it uses FLEX instead of SFX
good luck! :)

Reactions: SuperMiniPCs