Cooling Radiator Question

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Does anyone know which radiators allow multiple loops flowing through them simultaneously? I figured I could either spend a few days searching or ask :)

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
I'm trying to understand what you mean by this...

Are you asking if the loops could run through the same radiator but remain completely independent?

If the water combines at any point, then the loops become one, just with a bunch of parallel components in the loop.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Ah! Sorry for the confusion. Yes I meant such that they remain independent. I thought there was at least one.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
There are a lot of crazy things out there. I'm not aware of one sold to the computer market (again, not say there isn't, I'm just personally not aware), but it wouldn't surprise me if there is an automotive radiator meant to handle both oil and coolant. You could conceivably put two slim radiators back-to-back (?)

Is there a certain intent on separating the loops? Generally it is a good idea to combine the loops and take advantage of averaging out the temperatures.

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
The idea behind keeping them separate is because one was to be peltier cooled and the other peltier heated, but have the airflow average out for safeties sake. Accidental burns are awful.

You're right, though, 2 slim radiators could be used to much the same effect, and possibly better because air could be drawn over the cold side and pushed onto the hot side.

-EDIT-

In theory you could get away with both sides of the peltier on the same loop, if you could extract the heat fast enough and compensate for the added heating.

I do recall that the case made out of PCBs used a radiator like I was thinking of, apologies as I don't recall the name. I do think it was an automotive radiator.

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Yeah I believe it was, I'll find the thread later :)

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Was wondering when someone would mention that :p got that XTC-3D in yesterday, I'll have to give it a go.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Karamazovmm

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2016
The radiator that guriwhaha used was a desktop one, custom though, and 180mm in dimension.

it was used in bitcoin mining machines to cool 2 xeon cpus, thats how he managed both the gpu and cpu watercooled

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Did you ever find or make one of these?
Ah, no, sorry. I did find the thread with the radiator I was looking for earlier this year, but ultimately decided it wasn't what I needed. Koolance does offer some heat exchangers though, which would have a similar effect. :)

Reactions: cmyk78