Cooling Thicker radiator or thicker fan?

Kamiii

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
Hello everyone,

I was wondering; does anyone know whether its better to have a thick radiator, something like ~35mm, coupled with a 15mm slim fan, or does it pay more dividends to couple a ~25mm with a 25mm fan? I'm working with 57mm's of space...

I'm open for other cooling suggestions aswell!

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
EDIT: oh wait you meant radiators. pleh. I think the principle should be the same...? ,_,

5:50 here linus breifly touched on the topic while they have a delta fan to work with

general idea is if you have a higher airflow on the sink you can afford a smaller sink, but if you want silence (which means lower airflow from a slower speed in general) you’d be better off with a bigger sink.

in terms of SFF I think a bigger sink would be better for cases with no through path for airflow (e.g. PSU over CPU)

Kamiii

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
EDIT: oh wait you meant radiators. pleh. I think the principle should be the same...? ,_,

5:50 here linus breifly touched on the topic while they have a delta fan to work with

general idea is if you have a higher airflow on the sink you can afford a smaller sink, but if you want silence (which means lower airflow from a slower speed in general) you’d be better off with a bigger sink.

in terms of SFF I think a bigger sink would be better for cases with no through path for airflow (e.g. PSU over CPU)

Yea, I watched that video. Still dunno? My intuition tells me that I should go for the balanced 25/25, since I can couple the radiatior with a higher static pressure and cfm fan, and blow the air out faster...

Reactions: VegetableStu

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
shouldn’t be a problem if you don’t demand silence. personally I’m more towards higher airflow/static pressure as well

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
I believe this is what your looking for:

Those only test with GT 25mm thick fans though. I'd go with a standard thickness fan and pick an appropriately thick radiator for it personally. Slim fans don't have enough static pressure for rads. So for 57mm thickness limitation, you should get a HardwareLabs Nemesis GTS radiator.

Kamiii

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
I believe this is what your looking for:

Those only test with GT 25mm thick fans though. I'd go with a standard thickness fan and pick an appropriately thick radiator for it personally. Slim fans don't have enough static pressure for rads. So for 57mm thickness limitation, you should get a HardwareLabs Nemesis GTS radiator.

Thanks! That solves my problem.

Reactions: VegetableStu