Radeon R9 Fury X Heatsink Mod- Need Help!

codyq

What's an ITX?
Original poster
Jun 5, 2018
Hello,

I have a Radeon R9 fury x that I am looking to mod, I would like to remove the native water cooler/radiator, and install an air cooler.. unfortunately, there seem to be no aftermarket air coolers for this specific GPU.

I would like to limit the fan to 90 mm. I have never fabricated my own heatsink before, so I am not really sure how to go about this... The VRM modules surrounding the GPU do not need to be cooled, as they are not being actively cooled with the current cooling solution. I would like the fan to be nearly flush with the top of the shroud so air could be easily funneled through the GPU; I would cut a square or circle into the shroud so the fan would have access to open air within the case.

Thank you in advance for any help, it is much appreciated!

Ganelon

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2017
This isn't going to happen. At least, not in the way you're thinking.

The R9 Fury X runs incredibly hot. That's WHY there's a watercooler on it, and that's why the radiator is so much thicker than any other AIO-cooled GPU ever made. Putting an air cooler on it would simply not be a good idea.

Want proof? Just look at the R9 Nano. It's essentially exactly the same as a Fury X, it actually runs a bit cooler due to different power delivery, and it has the kind of cooler you're looking to mod into your card, with a 90mm fan. But oh no, the R9 Nano thermal throttles like a serial killer with swine flu. The only way to get proper performance out of an R9 Nano is to watercool it. Which is what AMD did already. With the Fury X.

The only kind of air cooler you'd want to put on an R9 Fury X would be something like a Raijintek Morpheus II. It's universally compatible with modern GPUs, so all you need to do is make sure you stick enough mini-heatsinks to the power delivery VRMs that they won't fry.

The VRM modules surrounding the GPU do not need to be cooled, as they are not being actively cooled with the current cooling solution.
You're an absolute lunatic, of course they are. The entire inside of the card is covered in a MASSIVE aluminium plate covering all the VRMs and power delivery. There are cooling pads on the important parts. Do NOT run that card without cooling on the important PCB components.

The only drawback is that the Morpheus is fucking gigantic. So it's probably not what you're looking for.

The best option, if you absolutely can't use the AIO cooler on your card for some reason, might honestly be to sell the Fury X and buy an R9 Nano instead. If you have a high-airflow case you might not run into any throttling.

Actually, screw that- if you're selling your R9 Fury X, replace it with a 1070 Mini from Gigabyte. It performs MUCH better than the R9 Nano in exactly the same form factor.

TL;DR Fury X can't survive without water, find a way to live with its cooler or get one of these.

Last edited:
Reactions: thewizzard1

Ganelon

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2017

Last edited:

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
You're overreacting a little. They'll put out say, 10-25W of heat on their own, which will get them extremely toasty after a few minutes of stresstesting, but it wont OMGEXPLODE YOU'LL DIE (do that kind of thing). Yes, they must be cooled, but your message could've been just a little less aggressive.

Reactions: nostyle

Ganelon

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2017
You're overreacting a little. They'll put out say, 10-25W of heat on their own, which will get them extremely toasty after a few minutes of stresstesting, but it wont OMGEXPLODE YOU'LL DIE (do that kind of thing). Yes, they must be cooled, but your message could've been just a little less aggressive.

I was mostly trying to get across the fact that it's important, and being dramatic tends to make people do things right.

And anyway, yes, they absolutely will kill the card if it's stressed without any cooling. It happened with the 780 Ti of someone I know when he ran it with a CPU cooler on a test bench. A dead card is a dead card, explosion or no explosion.

Reactions: Therandomness