Radeon 6800XT/6800 2-slot mods

robbybgoode

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Aug 19, 2020
Hi,

as many SFF cases only allow up to 2 slot GPUs I was wondering if it would be possible to swap a 6800 cooler onto an XT card. The card would likely run a little hotter but that could potentially be offset with a more aggressive fan curve (noise), deshroud, undervolt or combination thereof.

Does anybody know if the PCBs are the same?

Reactions: riba2233

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Well Bykski have made a water block for the 6900 xt and 6800 (xt?) as detailed here. The sketch states '6800', not '6800 xt' which would suggest to me that they have developed one water block for both variants but this is just an observation. I'm sure there's info out there somewhere you can compare this to though.

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
I believe calling it just "2-slot" can be a bit misleading.
For an example - my SM550 supports only 2 slot GPU. However when you read deeper in the specs, it says that it supports a GPU up to 50mm thickness. In this case - 6800XT, fits, being 49.75mm (or it is supposed to FIT, we will understand later next week).
So, better look for thickness in MM, rather category.

Reactions: Kit and gusto5

gusto5

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 14, 2020
I believe calling it just "2-slot" can be a bit misleading.
For an example - my SM550 supports only 2 slot GPU. However when you read deeper in the specs, it says that it supports a GPU up to 50mm thickness. In this case - 6800XT, fits, being 49.75mm (or it is supposed to FIT, we will understand later next week).
So, better look for thickness in MM, rather category.

This is sound advice. Check your overall clearance and your case design, then check if things will play nicely. Then maybe you should consider mods if you really want a specific card to fit what is otherwise not enough space for the card as is.