Rad-clearences

cy-one

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 31, 2020
Hello fellow tinies :)
I'm planning a build in an NCASE M1 (old hardware, air-cooled, already exists; case and iceman pump/res are ordered), but to continue planning some details, I need two distances:
  1. bottom of case to one-slot GPU (aka, waterblocked GPU) to see what radiators fit with what fans and how much of an air-gap is left there.
  2. closed side-radiator mount to SFX-PSU to see what radiators fit with what fans and how much space for ATX24-PIN and tubing needs to be reserved.
I would appreciate some help here very, very much :)

Cheers, cy :)

PS: Wohoo, first post! (lurker-mode: off)

haoryouu

Chassis Packer
May 1, 2019
Hello,

Bottom:
The TX240 would probably be the ideal waterblock to fit on the bottom, but you can fit a 29.6mm(black Ice nemesis).
The gpu block that you will choose will also have a factor, I had to change to a thinner waterblock(bitspower) to be able to fit my TX240 with 25mm fans. If you are using the TX240 with slims fans(15mm), you should be safe for the most part.

Side:
I used the Black Ice nemesis for mine. which gives a lot of space. I believe a ek 240PE can also fit in there which is 38mm (Which I may try later on). Both of these setup is with 25mm fans.

cy-one

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 31, 2020
Hey, thanks for the reply :)
I have a STRIX 2070, so my choice in blocks is very, very limited. EKWB _had_ one, but it's out of stock everywhere due to EOL. I think I'm currently limited to either the Phanteks or, depending on availability, Barrow, Bitspower or Bykski.

cy-one

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 31, 2020
Can't edit, but maybe this forum as an "attach"-feature :)

if I can fit the TX240 with 25mm fans and have a small gap (say 5mm), is it worth to go for that (given 25mm fans have a static pressure that's like 2-3 times as high as 15mm AND push more volume) over 15mm fans (having 15mm space, but they do have way less pressure and don't push as much volume).

haoryouu

Chassis Packer
May 1, 2019
In my opinion, I think it's worth it. I had the slims and the a12x25 (these fans are crazy in noise and perfomance), and it made a good difference in my temps. Given I can run the fans at 1k rpm and still not hear it in idle. My system is a 3950x + 2080ti, so if you have anything lower specs then this, I wouldn't worry too much. You're more likely safer to go with the slim fans if you can't get a hold of the EKWB one. EKWB usually have pretty slim waterblocks, byski and barrow( have pretty thick ones), bitspower (I think depends on which model, you would have to look at dimensions).

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Hey, thanks for the reply :)
I have a STRIX 2070, so my choice in blocks is very, very limited. EKWB _had_ one, but it's out of stock everywhere due to EOL. I think I'm currently limited to either the Phanteks or, depending on availability, Barrow, Bitspower or Bykski.
The Strix 2070 won't fit in the M1 with most full cover waterblocks, since it has an oversized PCB and the waterblock ports will exceed the available clearance to the side panel. Best to stick with cards with reference PCBs if you plan to watercool.

Reactions: cy-one