Quiet SSFPC for recording studio and gaming

PCSizeMatters

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jan 6, 2017
What's up everybody

I am looking to build the quietest Sffpc possible for my personal recording studio as well as gaming. I've seen a lot of awesome cases on this forum but it's hard to gauge which has the best thermal and acoustic performance. I was hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction. I've listed a few of the parts I definitely want to include, I have a 970 listed because the build will be dual booting MacOS and Windows and MacOS unfortunately doesn't support Pascal gpu architecture. Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970

edit: OMG I meant to post this general. My apologies! I can't find the delete function, so could a mod kindly delete this thread or move it to General forum. Sorry again!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
What's up everybody

I am looking to build the quietest Sffpc possible for my personal recording studio as well as gaming. I've seen a lot of awesome cases on this forum but it's hard to gauge which has the best thermal and acoustic performance. I was hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction. I've listed a few of the parts I definitely want to include, I have a 970 listed because the build will be dual booting MacOS and Windows and MacOS unfortunately doesn't support Pascal gpu architecture. Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970

edit: OMG I meant to post this general. My apologies! I can't find the delete function, so could a mod kindly delete this thread or move it to General forum. Sorry again!

The smaller you go, the harder it is to cool it and have good noise. In my opinion, these are your choices:

NCase M1
RVZ01/FTZ01
Define Nano S.

There is no replacement for having large slow moving fans.

The Define Nano S will likely be the quietest because you can install 2 140mm fan in front, and a 120mm fan in the rear. It is by far the largest however.

The NCase you can install large CPU coolers.

The RVZ01 can also be pretty potent as well and is easily available.

PCSizeMatters

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jan 6, 2017
The smaller you go, the harder it is to cool it and have good noise. In my opinion, these are your choices:

NCase M1
RVZ01/FTZ01
Define Nano S.

There is no replacement for having large slow moving fans.

The Define Nano S will likely be the quietest because you can install 2 140mm fan in front, and a 120mm fan in the rear. It is by far the largest however.

The NCase you can install large CPU coolers.

The RVZ01 can also be pretty potent as well and is easily available.

I've been looking at all of those cases. I originally intended to go with the Nano S and I still might do that but I was curious about the other options.

What do you think of the Caselabs BH2?

http://www.caselabs-store.com/bullet-bh2-mitx-case/

I think leaning towards this case at the moment.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I've been looking at all of those cases. I originally intended to go with the Nano S and I still might do that but I was curious about the other options.

What do you think of the Caselabs BH2?

http://www.caselabs-store.com/bullet-bh2-mitx-case/

I think leaning towards this case at the moment.

Looks great. High quality. I hope there is enough clearance for the GPU to feed it air. Though the footprint is a lil' large. not a fan of that.