Quick Ebay item Question

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
[preview text: item in question is a CPU]

Yeah this item ends within 24 hours so I'm looking to get some advice as soon as I can before I commit:
It's a Xeon E5 2697 V4 proper, but a few issues:

- The seller mentions in the title that he hasn't tested it (not sure if he doesn't have the motherboard to or not)
- Also says it's a store return item
- I couldn't PM him because ebay says he's receiving too many questions (wanted to ask how's the underside like and what if it's DOA?)
- Well, the way it's scratched:

Following this auction very closely, because the price is currently below that of even a preproduction (read: ES) 10-core Xeon (barring the inevitable bidding war towards the end). Does this look sketchy to anyone?

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yup, PayPal almost always sides with the buyer.

But if the CPU has physical damage on the bottom I wouldn't install it unless you can afford to replace the motherboard in case things go horribly wrong.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
But if the CPU has physical damage on the bottom
Yeah, I'm looking to resolve for that detail, but ebay won't let me get to him (unless I send a PM under "this isn't about an item" which shows bad on my part ._.)

EDIT: still thinking of that scratched part though. why would someone scratch away the serial on the heatspreader and yet leave the one on the sticker on the box untouched?

Last edited:

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
When someone buys a new CPU to replace a dead one of the same type, then returns the dead one minus the serial in the new box?

Or buffed out that hammer ding from the de lid?

Looks like a gamble to say the least.

Last edited:
Reactions: VegetableStu

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
When someone buys a new CPU to replace a dead one of the same type, then returns the dead one minus the serial in the new box?

Yeah you got a point there. I'll drop it then :[

Last edited: