Discussion Question about GPUs and PCI

Ant8n

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Oct 5, 2020
I just want to start off by saying I've never built a computer or even installed parts in one.
I was given a sff office computer (https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-compaq-elite-8300-sff-core-i5-3570-3-4-ghz-8-gb-500-gb-e0e21upaba/) that I wish to turn into a gaming rig, nothing too hardcore. So now I'm looking for graphics cards. And if you look at the expantion part of the specs on the website above you can see that it states
1 (total) / 1 (free) x PCI - low-profile
1 (total) / 1 (free) x PCIe 3.0 x16 - low-profile
1 (total) / 1 (free) x PCIe 2.0 x16 - low-profile (x4 mode)
1 (total) / 1 (free) x PCIe 2.0 x1 - low-profile
1 (total) / 0 (free) x CPU
4 DIMM 240-pin
Does this mean that only low profile graphics cards like the 1650 LP can fit in these PCI slots, or can any card go into the pci slots? To clarify I'm not wondering if a regular GPU will FIT in the computer case rather if they will work with these PCI slots.

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 12, 2020
The specs you pointed to says that the HP Compaq Elite 8300 uses Integrated Graphics, namely (Intel HD Graphics 2500 Dynamic Video Memory Technology). So this APU system as it currently exists doesn't use a graphics card. Maybe you can add a graphics card (I don't know) but starting from an APU build (using Integrated Graphics) seems a poor choice to start building a gaming computer.

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 12, 2020
Case Height is only 3.9 inches so that must be why only low profile PCI cards will fit; Yikes, it has 9-Pin serial ports! It must be old to have 9-Pin serial ports! OIC, third Gen Intel. That's similar to those old Dell's that you can find on EBay for $60 or so. Don't bother, the technology is too old.

Last edited:

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Does this mean that only low profile graphics cards like the 1650 LP can fit in these PCI slots, or can any card go into the pci slots? To clarify I'm not wondering if a regular GPU will FIT in the computer case rather if they will work with these PCI slots.
Define "Will work"
PCIe is forwards and backwards compatible. If you have a PCIe device and plug it into a PCIe slot it should function, though older versions and fewer lanes means slower operation. Low profile vs regular profile is a purely physical trait and has no impact on the actual data connection, so if you stick a regular card in a low profile case you won't be able to close the case (assuming the card fits well enough to plug in), but it will operate just the same. Similarly, if it's up to spec, a full height card will work if you use a riser to try and bodge it in there.

Also a side note that PCI is not the same thing as PCIe

Yikes, it has 9-Pin serial ports! It must be old to have 9-Pin serial ports! OIC, third Gen Intel.
Nah, that's not super odd on even a modern business machine. There's still a lot of industrial and commercial equipment around that uses RS-232 because it's cheap, simple and it works.

Reactions: darksable

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
You can definitely add in a GPU, but depending on what CPU is in the PC, and how much RAM, it might not really be worth it if you're planning on playing any modern video games. It also depends on what cables are available from the included power supply in the system, as well as how much potential power output/wattage it has to use a graphics card. In a case like that, generally you can only get very low-spec and low-power graphics cards. With that being said, if you did want to get a new graphics card, you want to use this spec/lane:

1 (total) / 1 (free) x PCI - low-profile
1 (total) / 1 (free) x PCIe 3.0 x16 - low-profile
1 (total) / 1 (free) x PCIe 2.0 x16 - low-profile (x4 mode)
1 (total) / 1 (free) x PCIe 2.0 x1 - low-profile

PCIe 3.0 x16. PCIe is the type of interface (which is physically different from PCI without the "e".) Physically/dimensionally, a PCIe 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0 are all the same interface and size, and fit. But they have different data transfer and bandwidth allowances. The higher the number (IE, 3.0 vs.2.0) the more bandwidth or data that can be processed through it. Though it's worth noting, for gaming/graphics cards the revision for performance is semi negligible, and in some-ways backwards compatible.

You can use a PCIe 2.0 card in a PCIe 3.0 slot. But you can't always use PCIe 3.0 device in a PCIe 2.0 motherboard slot. Sometimes it would just mean some performance loss. Sometimes it would mean it just wouldn't work. Lots of factors.

The "x16" part relates to how many physical traces there are for connection and data speed as well, in a sense. Again, it's not always so important. But typically, for graphics units, you want to use a slot at full x16 speed. They usually are rated as x16, x8, x4.There are some lower tiers as well but that's the most important part.

Now, all that being said. You'll be limited to a low-profile GPU simply from the case alone. A "half height" card they're often referred to. And as far as I'm aware, the VAST majority of half-height graphics cards are PCIe 2.0 x16. If you do get one, you may also have to adjust the graphics output device in the computer's BIOS, the sub-system that controls the hardware, to make full use of it, too.

If you've suffered through all this, I'll give you my best bit of advice. Look up Dell Optiplexes. You can often find them in the "MicroATX" form factor, which would allow for decent spec and proper sized graphics cards. Often with semi-modern, or modern processors, and usually they have a big enough power supply for medium grade graphics cards. You can likely find them cheap, and often, because business turn them out for new machines very frequently.