Concept Pure NAS project

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I've done some research and things like the Dynamo 360 or HDPlex do have enough 5V power to run plenty of 3.5" drives. The PicoPSU might not, but there are now things like the HDPlex 200 which do 10A bust 7A sustained on the 5V rail, which should be enough for lots of 3.5" drives since they use 12V for the motor circuitry and 5V for the circuit board, which means the most power hungry part is on the 12V rail which generally has a lot more juice in these DC-DC board scenarios.

If it uses 12V for motor, there is plenty of power to handle it. It may require some bulk capacitor to handle the initial current draw.

ReturnedSword

Cable Smoosher
Sep 28, 2018
Has there been any movement on this idea?

Currently my NAS runs inside a Fractal Design R5, though I'd very much like to downsize to a smaller chassis that supports 8-12 3.5" drives (12 is preferred) and go with a Supermicro Atom board. U-NAS chassis look pretty nice, but like with many commercial chassis, some of the design choices are suspect. Specifically with the U-NAS series, there isn't adequate cooling for the CPU, and sometimes with the drives depending on configuration.

I was quite excited for the Silverstone CS381 even though it's a bit on the larger side (30 L), but was promptly disappointed after waiting over a year since the original announcement due to the chassis being quite large for an 8 drive chassis (but it can run dual GPUs for "AI").

Personally I prefer hotswap drives, though that's a nice to have.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Has there been any movement on this idea?

Currently my NAS runs inside a Fractal Design R5, though I'd very much like to downsize to a smaller chassis that supports 8-12 3.5" drives (12 is preferred) and go with a Supermicro Atom board. U-NAS chassis look pretty nice, but like with many commercial chassis, some of the design choices are suspect. Specifically with the U-NAS series, there isn't adequate cooling for the CPU, and sometimes with the drives depending on configuration.

I was quite excited for the Silverstone CS381 even though it's a bit on the larger side (30 L), but was promptly disappointed after waiting over a year since the original announcement due to the chassis being quite large for an 8 drive chassis (but it can run dual GPUs for "AI").

No movement.

Though, with the new Pure Mk2, it now supports 2x 2.5 drives with internal PSU, at around 3.1L.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019

I ended up going with the UNAS NSC810a, which is the MicroATX version, which I think is a decent setup. For CPU Cooling, you get enough clearance for an L9i or a Dynatron cooler. Drives are cooled just fine.

Be aware, that if you buy a Supermicro embedded board they will have either a passive heatsink or a heatsink+fan and you aren't supposed to remove them. Whether that breaks your warranty or not probably depends on your region, but most boards with embedded CPUs don't have handy mount points like LGA115x or AM4 sockets do that any old cooler can attach to with no issues.

wfarid

Chassis Packer
Nov 15, 2017
You should check out the Helios 4 (or the latest 64, made by kobol io ) nas. I bought one and it is the smallest 4 bay nas that I have seen.

Collin

Case Bender
New User
Jan 31, 2020
I finally registered specifically for this post. I would love love love to see a more boutique sff nas case. I currently have an unraid server at home that hosts plex, photo backup for my wife's photography, and general household archiving. In a perfect world for me a boutique nas would allow for 8 hard drives. Hot swappability not a hard and fast requirement for me - how often are we really swapping out hard drives and is it the end of the world to shut down a home server for 15 minutes while you install it? If I had any design skills I would draw up a model, but maybe words will be enough.

I envision a case laid out like the Dan A4, which has plenty of space for high performance mini-itx gear, an SFX psu, and PCIe Expansion. The difference would be I would just make the case wider to fit the 8 hard drives. I would also try and consider if there is a PCIe riser long enough to span from the MB, across/under the hard drives, and then end in a PCIe Bifurcation riser. The reason I would want a bifurcation riser is many ITX boards would require an HBA card to handle that many hard drives, and then another 8x lane could be used for a GPU for hardware acceleration in PLEX or in a virtualized PC.

I imagine something like this going under a TV console and potentially being used for combo NAS/TV Gaming PC.

I would pay money for some sort of expansion/extension for my existing Dan A4. I no longer have space for a desk so my beautiful case just sits in a box and I haven't found a purpose for it yet.

2bitmarksman

Chassis Packer
Feb 17, 2020
I'd be down for buying something like the Pure X plus a 5.25" drive bay underneath it to stuff an 8-bay 2.5" drive bay IcyDock, or alternatively, have two of these underneath to reduce the volume. The X's FSP support plus the PCIe slot for an HBA/RAID card would be pretty great!

2bitmarksman

Chassis Packer
Feb 17, 2020
Got the linked dock from earlier. Due to how short most SATA data cables are, and to keep the clean front plate, the drives would be accessed from the backside regardless if they'd be hotswap bays or hard mounting 2 3.5" drives

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
I'd be down to get a case that is ideal for NAS usage. I'd like to transition my current PC to becoming a NAS.