Power Supply Psu running very hot

rod

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
Hi lads. I just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing anything like this. As some of you might know cs2 has been recently released and it feels like my Psu is running hotter than ever. My specs are:
- enp 7660b (modded with a noctua fan from overtek)
- MSi b450i
- 3060ti
- densium 4+ v2

It never ran this hot in csgo or poe or any other game and at this point I am wondering wether the game itself is to fault (which I don’t think it should?) or any of my components are broken.

Opinions?

Edit: it was bad to the point I would crash only in that game during summer and I stayed away from it until they fixed (?) the issue in an update a few weeks after. Mind you I live in Spain and it is still fairly hot here. The crashes are gone and the temps have gone down a bit but the psu is still running somewhat hot and the fan is still spinning fast

Last edited:

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
I'm sorry to say this, but the whole noctua mod never meant to happen. It's a quiet fan, but it can never ever move as much air through as the original fan. This whole fiasco is just harmful. I mean even on Overtek's own comparison video, there's zero difference in noise, both are just as quiet. However a hot psu can be a problem on it's own and it can also heat up other components resulting in worse temps. And while other flex-atx psu's are noisy, the Enhance 766b is totally fine as it is. It's the most silent part of my Velka 3 build and both the cpu and the gpu has a 92mm slim noctua for it's cooling.

Last edited:
Reactions: HWI and rfarmer

rod

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
I'm sorry to say this, but the whole noctua mod never meant to happen. It's a quiet fan, but it can never ever move as much air through as the original fan. This whole fiasco is just harmful. I mean even on Overtek's own comparison video, there's zero difference in noise, both are just as quiet. However a hot psu can be a problem on it's own and it can also heat up other components resulting in worse temps. And while other flex-atx psu's are noisy, the Enhance 766b is totally fine as it is. It's the most silent part of my Velka 3 build and both the cpu and the gpu has a 92mm slim noctua for it's cooling.
My hearing is somewhat scuffed but it feels like the first psu has a coily noise whereas the second doesn’t. I legit never felt like my psu was running hot until cs2 came out that’s why I was wondering if anyone was having similar issues

CL_159

Cable Smoosher
Oct 8, 2023
CS2 is probably pushing your GPU/CPU harder than you have previously, drawing more power. With more power, comes more heat.

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
It's for sure the Noctua fan, it doesn't move as much air as the stock fan. I cringe every time I see people do this mod over on r/sffpc, especially if it's an Enhance 7660b, which is pretty dang quiet in stock form. Hell, I can't even hear my 7660b over my NH-L9.

Reactions: rfarmer

rod

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
@fcl_159 I figured as much but I didn’t expect it to get this hot.

Might be time to dust off the old fan and gets it myself. Thanks for the heads up lads

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
The PSU design itself allows for a Tj Max at the output of the 12V transformer of up to 105°C

The hotspot on the underside of the PSU is relative to this, with 400W loads it will get to plus 60C. Higher with the Yate Loon, lower with the ADDA fans and a touch lower with a Noctua. If you are pushing above 400W loads in a high ambient environment then really you want a stock fan. The reason the Noctua runs it cooler, which might be surprising, is that it runs at a higher duty cycle than stock and pushes a touch more air than the Adda.

Because the fan controller sits at 3V till about 450W loads a 5V Noctua is used which is what archives the cooling capacity. Yes it is quieter than the other 2 on account of being an fdb bearing mainly.

So the question then? What happens when a 5V Noctua gets 12V. Answer it spins faster.

It won't fail immediately and takes 1 to 2 months at 12V for that to occur according to Noctua. But if your regularly seeing high loads and high ambient temps then a stock fan can be a better choice.

The ADDA fan will keep the PSU cooler than the Yate Loon and bleed lower temps into the rest of the system.

One option with D4+ V2 is to try flipping the PSU and have the case with some space below so it draws more. And or try flipping it upside down with the PSU on top.
Gettinf cooler external air in than warmer system air in to the PSU.