Power Supply PSU exhaust drawbacks?

ASCii

(ツ)
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
I’m looking for some feedback regarding using a psu as an exhaust directly over the cpu.
I’ve done this with low wattage systems in the past with no consequences, but in this instance it’s a bit different.

Corsair SF-450 platinum 2 mm away from cpu heatsink fan (in pull configuration)​
4790K (88w TDP)​
Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM supplying an abundance of intake​
Gigabyte 1070 mini​
Lian Li TU-100​

I figure in this crowd there has to be a few of you that have done this

Last edited:

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
That's a weird configuration. You have the PSU flipped so that the power cable side is internal?

As far as I know, most PSU fans are intake fans, but if that one isn't or you have PSU oriented so it's exhaust vent is facing the CPU, I don't think you'll have a problem with that wattage PSU (or even higher wattage PSU if it's not being loaded, and efficient PSUs don't put out too much heat) plus a iPPC. Even the 2000 RPM variant is a little monster.

I've never had PSU exhaust onto CPU, but GPUs are capable of dumping a lot more heat into a system, and even with moderate case cooling it's not likely to be an issue.

ASCii

(ツ)
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
This is the typical configuration, I’m debating on turning it so the fan faces the cpu.

In a nut shell I will be pushing the cpu fan exhaust through the psu, the alternative is obstructing 50% of the cpu heatsinks fans surface area.

60mm allowable cpu heatsink, I will be utilizing 58mm +

Last edited:

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
That's an intake fan in the PSU. It exhausts out of the back (power cable side). You shouldn't have any issues with either PSU or CPU cooling (and it's a zero-RPM mode fan, too, so it won't even spin up if it's under low enough load, less than 50%). A lot of people do the same in the Sliger SM cases (mine is facing same direction as pic, though).

ASCii

(ツ)
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Instead of it intaking cool air it will be intaking cpu exhaust, I’m sure this will slightly reduce the efficiency/life of the psu with the added heat, but just looking for additional feedback.

This will also in theory allow me to mount a 60 slim fan with out modifications on the side panel as an additional exhaust.

Last edited:

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
Okay, looking at layout of case, I think setting side panel as intake, PSU as intake, and 120mm case fan (Noctua) as exhaust would make the most sense. Air comes in from side, downdraft Thermalright blows it at CPU and mobo, Noctua blows it all (including heated air from 1070 mini, if that's an open-air/axial card) out the front. Or reverse that entire order for positive pressure.

I think all the components will be fine, you aren't running anything that crazy, and PSU is gold. I would be a little more concerned if you weren't planning to add the side panel fan and if you were running something like a 9900k or other high wattage CPU and a less efficient GPU in there and worse fans.

Last edited:

ASCii

(ツ)
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
I’ve thought about running the iPPC Noctua as exhaust and keeping the rest in its typical configuration, but I was just mulling over the theory above.

ASCii

(ツ)
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
I’ve built in 2 of these cases in the past but they were using 65w CPU’s with 37mm Noctua NH-L9i’s, this instance is a little different and also is a test bed to a future upgrade.

Last edited: