PS2 2018 Edition

Sim567

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 8, 2017
Hello everyone,
I wanted to share with you my project, to have a powerful pc in an old glory, or the ps2 Fat in silver color, despite the problems and the creation of the connections was long and tiring I did not give up, in any case I had already ready bigger alternatives.
In reality it is not the first project in a "recovered" houses, I had for a short time a "small size" recovered houses with a sfx power supply.
I finished the components recently, even if it currently has too high temperature problems and are looking for solutions.
Below are the current components, although some are expected to change soon.
-Amd Ryzen 1600 (upgrade to Ryzen 2600 soon)
-Biostar x370GTN Mini itx
-Ram 16 gb 2400 mh Ballistix Sport LT
-Zotac Gtx 1060 6 GB Mini
-Noctua NH-L9i
-SSD Kingston 480 GB M2
-2 HdPlex 160w DC-ATX
-Power brick Dell 330watt
-Noctua 40mm soon

The riser is a generic $ 3, has always worked well only that it is not very flexible and in this case long.
I doubt whether to turn the gpu and put a long and flexible riser (which?) Or if you keep it so and given to take a very short riser.
All silicone cables (awg 18-20) have been wired by me to measure.
The black and white power cable is momentary waiting for the new keys to arrive.
The gpu supports were printed in 3D and I used the double-sided adhesive to attach a good part of the pieces. Let's say there is a lot of tape.
I have not done many photos in the course of work, but I put the finished work. The external part is the only thing I do not want to touch, it must remain as original as possible.
Any advice from the most experienced is always welcome.

Reactions: Phuncz

Sim567

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 8, 2017
Upgrades have arrived.
Ryzen 2600 and one of the best 40mm fans, paid a lot, let's make the difference.
Also arrived the small switches for the front.

Last edited:

MDIGN

Efficiency Noob
Apr 29, 2018
What's the reason for using 2 PSUs? All of that can be powered by 1 HDPlex 160w even if you upgrade the CPU.

Sim567

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 8, 2017
What's the reason for using 2 PSUs? All of that can be powered by 1 HDPlex 160w even if you upgrade the CPU.
From the reviews read on this site you can not be stable with a 1060, also because doing two counts cpu 65 watts for the 1600 1600 the 2600 consumes about 10w more in stock, at a frequency equal to 1600 is a fur underneath, the 1060 starts at 120w without counting all the other watts of the system, albeit few.
Then even the heat is not at all little of the pico psu, in some places burns despite not being at the maximum power but one at 60% and one under 50%.
Currently the problem is the temperatures too high due to the lack of air and the fact that the cpu is not completely free and that gradually becomes warmer, the stability of the open case system is perfect despite two pico in the parallel.
I saw that you're doing it yourself, which pxie riser did you use to put the gpu fixed as the motherboard?

dan1337

Caliper Novice
May 7, 2018
I can confirm that a 160w cannot run a 65w cpu and a 1060. I have a 8700 and everything is fine in artificial benches but when I play certain games I get system shutdown.
You definitely need to be undervolting cpu and gpu and setting a tdp or thermal limit if you have not already.
I would consider getting a used 1050ti or AMD equivalent to finish this project. If you can flip the gpu you can have natural heat dissipation upwards from both cpu and gpu with some venting holes.
I was in the same position as you doing a build and had to buy a 300mm pcie cable and run the cable under the gpu, bear in mind the cable crush as the connector on this layout is on the outside edge.

Sim567

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 8, 2017
I can confirm that a 160w cannot run a 65w cpu and a 1060. I have a 8700 and everything is fine in artificial benches but when I play certain games I get system shutdown.
You definitely need to be undervolting cpu and gpu and setting a tdp or thermal limit if you have not already.
I would consider getting a used 1050ti or AMD equivalent to finish this project. If you can flip the gpu you can have natural heat dissipation upwards from both cpu and gpu with some venting holes.
I was in the same position as you doing a build and had to buy a 300mm pcie cable and run the cable under the gpu, bear in mind the cable crush as the connector on this layout is on the outside edge.
In fact, first of all I bring the 2600 at frequencies equal to 1600, so I should consume something less and heat less.
For the GPU I saw that the bios can not be changed, right?
In addition to lowering the power limit from msi afterburner can I do anything else? Do I have to lower the frequency too?
I've always been used to increasing the settings and not going down.XD
For the 30 cm laugh, ok? Which model do you recommend that is very flexible?
Changing the outer shell is one of the few things I told myself not to do, rather I totally change houses

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

Tell that to the STX.160 build. LOL

dan1337

Caliper Novice
May 7, 2018
Tell that to the STX.160 build. LOL
For my use case it didnt work I should have said

In fact, first of all I bring the 2600 at frequencies equal to 1600, so I should consume something less and heat less.
For the GPU I saw that the bios can not be changed, right?
In addition to lowering the power limit from msi afterburner can I do anything else? Do I have to lower the frequency too?
I've always been used to increasing the settings and not going down.XD
For the 30 cm laugh, ok? Which model do you recommend that is very flexible?
Changing the outer shell is one of the few things I told myself not to do, rather I totally change houses

You have underclocked it, you should look at undervolting it also. Look for core voltage offset in your bios. drop it by the smallest increment possible and run some tests, similar to ocing. Also see if you can set a tdp limit for the cpu.

the only good quality long cable I know is the thermaltake one. However i was using a cheap generic one and it was ok with a 1060.
Thermaltake AC-045-CN1OTN-C1 TT you might be able to get away with 20cm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sim567

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 8, 2017
For my use case it didnt work I should have said

You have underclocked it, you should look at undervolting it also. Look for core voltage offset in your bios. drop it by the smallest increment possible and run some tests, similar to ocing. Also see if you can set a tdp limit for the cpu.

the only good quality long cable I know is the thermaltake one. However i was using a cheap generic one and it was ok with a 1060.
Thermaltake AC-045-CN1OTN-C1 TT you might be able to get away with 20cm.
So, I mounted the 2600, all right, a stock hwmonitor scored 13w more than 1600.
But the problems started. XD
The bios I found that does not support undervolting, (I was very surprised) and then from the bios I can not reduce the vcore of the cpu, I had to use the motherboard software (racing gt) that allows you to fall with the voltage, I dropped up to 3.5 ghz and a little 'temperwture are improved (on cry 5 is about 80 °)
The gpu I have not yet found how to modify the bios, if you have a guide linkamela so I try, because afterburner I tried to put the power limit to 60% but changes very little, weight depends more on the frequencies set a little 'lower.
I saw the riser, it looks good but it costs far too much, I found it on 70 $, for the length I think the minimum would be 25cm to be able to fold it well. If you know other models that cost little ($ 25 maximum) so I look at it.