Concept Project: The Smallest (gaming PC that theHACK can design and build)

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
$260 for a 3d printed item with flat metal side panels? Does this include power button and pci-e riser cable?

Honestly id rather see it CNC'd from a block of aluminum if we are talking prices over $200.

Nope, just laser cut acrylic. Does not include parts.

CNC block of aluminum is like $1000-2000.

A 3d printed sls part just requires a tech to load the software and place it, and do some fairly low technical skill post processing.

A cnc part requires a CNC programmer to program the paths, ensure the correct tools are loaded. It also can't be batched with other parts. Then you need the tech to make different set up since you need to drill holes from at least 5 sides. Left right, top front rear. This is probably cheaper still than using a 5 axis cnc where you don't need a tech to mess with the setup.

Then you need to do some technical finish and tolerance check.

Oh, and you still need a 3d print first before you spend over 1000 on a CNC part.

But... If someone wants to sponsor a CNC aluminum build then I'll happily do the work for free if the milling is paid for. :D

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Why would you specifically require SLS printing? I imagine having someone print it for you with an SLS printer is a lot more expensive then printing it yourself on an FDM printer.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Why would you specifically require SLS printing? I imagine having someone print it for you with an SLS printer is a lot more expensive then printing it yourself on an FDM printer.

You can get it smaller and stronger with an sls print.

But the main draw is much better surface quality.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
This case is a bit too small for me, but I do like the concept.

Another GPU that should work is the 1660 Super/TI from PNY/Gainward. The shroud would need to be removed as it extends too high at the top, but the PCB and fan should fit just fine. IMO, the cards would look better without the cheap plastic bits.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
SLS is that new fancy laser 3d printed tech right? At first i was thinking it would be like normal 3d printed stuff with a cheap plastic feel.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
SLS is that new fancy laser 3d printed tech right? At first i was thinking it would be like normal 3d printed stuff with a cheap plastic feel.

Plastic will always feel and look like plastic. SLS is much better at printing complicated structures that would otherwise require printed supports. It also generally has a better surface quality, but not flawless like moulding plastic.

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
I believe it is not a new laser tech but what makes it special is the high cost associated with using the technology (when compared to FDM).

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
Still active. Current Mk2 takes priority. Trying to get it down to 3.0L without doing a custom backplate.

Throwing an idea out there, even though you seem set on the internal PSU. With an ITX mobo (Noctua l9i cooler), gigabyte 2060 itx, and HDPlex 400 dc-dc, you can combine them (sandwich style) to an estimated total of 2.1 L. That's leaving no support for additional fans, non m2 SSDs and basically no room for wiring and even a power switch. If you expanded the size to make room for wiring, and used custom sized wires, you could probably get the case to around 2.5 L. I know power bricks suck, but that size would be insanely awesome.

Reactions: ermac318

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Throwing an idea out there, even though you seem set on the internal PSU. With an ITX mobo (Noctua l9i cooler), gigabyte 2060 itx, and HDPlex 400 dc-dc, you can combine them (sandwich style) to an estimated total of 2.1 L. That's leaving no support for additional fans, non m2 SSDs and basically no room for wiring and even a power switch. If you expanded the size to make room for wiring, and used custom sized wires, you could probably get the case to around 2.5 L. I know power bricks suck, but that size would be insanely awesome.

This is not possible.

An mitx motherboard at minimum already takes up 1.5L. 170x170x53. The 53 height comes from 37 cooler height, 8 IHS height, 6.5 stand off, 1.5 motherboard thickness.

GPU 2 slot is 135 x 170 x 40 minimum. That's 0.9L.

2.4L minimum not including clearance for riser (adds 1mm to width), material thickness (adds 1.2mm in all directions, clearance for fitting the motherboard (you can't just have a 170mm clearance and fit a 170mm board with no wiggle room).

You can do a simple check, 98mm is about as narrow as you can get for overall width (see velka and K39) and the overall dimensions need to fit at minimum an itx board.

170 x 170 x 98 = 2.8L.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
A good rule of thumb to see how changing one dimension influences total volume is that the smallest dimension always makes the most difference when you increase/decrease it. For example changing the 98mm width up by 2mm would increase the volume by a greater proportion than changing a 180mm length up by 2mm.

You could build a box that is 175x175x98mm (so it takes account the thickness of walls around the motherboard) and this gives you just a hair over 3L in volume.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
This is not possible.

An mitx motherboard at minimum already takes up 1.5L. 170x170x53. The 53 height comes from 37 cooler height, 8 IHS height, 6.5 stand off, 1.5 motherboard thickness.

GPU 2 slot is 135 x 170 x 40 minimum. That's 0.9L.

2.4L minimum not including clearance for riser (adds 1mm to width), material thickness (adds 1.2mm in all directions, clearance for fitting the motherboard (you can't just have a 170mm clearance and fit a 170mm board with no wiggle room).

You can do a simple check, 98mm is about as narrow as you can get for overall width (see velka and K39) and the overall dimensions need to fit at minimum an itx board.

170 x 170 x 98 = 2.8L.

I was able to get the standoffs to 4.5mm and my NVME drive doesn't touch the bottom.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I figured out how to get 3L, with support for standard itx gpu + L9i.

;)
Are you gonna tell us and show some renders or tease us and give us SFF blue balls?

I'd be so keen for something like this where I can just stick a Nano-ATX PSU in there with a brick and run a little 1080p gaming PC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thehack and rfarmer

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I just realized that this design is (for now) a full two liters smaller than my Lazer3D HT5, which only fits LP GPUs. In its defense there's no way I'd be able to fit my planned DIY semi-passive cooler in this, but ... damn.