Concept Project: The Smallest (gaming PC that theHACK can design and build)

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hello fellow SFFers.

I would like to present my current special project: the smallest. This is the smallest case I'll likely ever build and it'll be a bit of a magnus opus of everything I've done and learned after the last few years.

First, we'll lay out some ground rules:

1. The case must be straightforward and fairly easy to build in.
2. The case must support standard mobo, GPU, dimensions/specs.
3. A gaming PC is considered an ITX sized GPU and a 6 core processor at minimum.

The chassis? A 3D printed using SLS tech, "sandwich" style case with either acrylic or metal panels.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Hello fellow SFFers.

I would like to present my current special project: the smallest. This is the smallest case I'll likely ever build and it'll be a bit of a magnus opus of everything I've done and learned after the last few years.

First, we'll lay out some ground rules:

1. The case must be straightforward and fairly easy to build in.
2. The case must support standard mobo, GPU, dimensions/specs.
3. A gaming PC is considered an ITX sized GPU and a 6 core processor at minimum.

The chassis? A 3D printed using SLS tech, "sandwich" style case with either acrylic or metal panels.

Since you mention 'sandwich' does that mean we are finally going to see a sandwich case designed around the Meanwell+J-Hack Distro?

Reactions: Aguda33 and rfarmer

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
Internal or external PSU? Internal it's going to be hard to do smaller than the Velka 3..

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Anyways. This is a mixture of custom project and a build log. First, onto the components:

The chassis will support internal PSU, GPU, and CPU. For anyone to even remote consider this to be a "gaming" build, it'll need to have at least a GTX 1060 and 6 core performance. So such, I've decided to restrict GPU size to reference height ITX size GPUs. Unfortunately, this latest generation's GTX 1660/Ti have been rather fat. The previous GTX 1060 you had multiple options while this generation your only available card is the Galax GTX 1660 Ti Mini, which is a bit hard to get in USA. AMD's ITX sized GPUs have been a general no show. The NANO exists but it has poor performance/power so I am excluding it. So far we got:

EVGA/ZOTAC/MSI ITX GTX 1060, GALAX GTX 1660 Ti, Sapphire RX570 ITX.

For CPU, we're limiting cooler height to 37mm to fit in the Noctua NH-L9. The target CPU is AMD 3600 and Intel's 9400F, with a slight power envelope turned down. If the Ryzen 3500X ever arrives, it'll be perfect balance of performance between CPU/GPU.

Onto the physical dimensions:

For internal PSU, we'll be fitting in a 2" x 4" power supplies. The two units we're looking at is the Meanwell RPS-200-12 and the Artesyn CPS-250M, rated for 200W and 250W respectively with some airflow. We'll have to cool it though but I'm sure we're figure something out.

The GPU height is 126 mm. I will be using 2.5 mm walls. I'm not sure if 2 mm is safe so sticking with 2.5 mm just in case. For height, smallest possible height, we'll calculate as follows: 126 mm + 2.5 mm (material) + 50.8 mm (PSU) = 179.4 mm . We'll give ourselves 5 mm of room to work with call it 185 mm.

For depth, we'll use the motherboard as the restricting factor. 170 mm + 1.6 mm (rear IO setback) + 5 mm (2 walls) + 3.4 mm extra space for a cool 180 mm . It is possible for us to cheat a mm there if we choose so, since if we're not using a GPU, the setback can be reduced.

For width, we'll need the following: 3 mm (laser cut material) + 42 mm (GPU) + 16 mm (plane to CPU IHS) + 37 mm (CPU cooler height). We'll get 98 mm.

So for the dimensions, not including extrusions? 185 mm x 180 mm x 98 mm = 3.26L.

Pretty small right? Of course, we may hit into a couple areas where we have to expand the size but so far, the theoretical size for this project is 3.26L.

Reactions: NateDawg72

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
They do make both a Gigabyte and Asus 1660 Ti itx card that are within your size limits, the Asus is ugly AF but it is there. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Edit, the both make 1660 Super itx cards also.

comagoosie

sff is life
May 8, 2018
Does this mean you are planning a new revision of the ONE2 plugin with an (8 pin) additional PCIe power connection?

My goal for 2020 was wiring a RPS-200-12 and the 160w ONE2 plugin with a 1650 in a Velka 3 ... but I think my plans may have just changed XD

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
They do make both a Gigabyte and Asus 1660 Ti itx card that are within your size limits, the Asus is ugly AF but it is there. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Based on the pictures, it seems both Gigabyte and Asus is oversized. The PCB should only be about 5mm above the bracket tab, and based on the pictures, it is about 10mm. Asus coolers also look awful, just a solid block of extruded aluminum. The MSI Aero ITX and the EVGA SC coolers were well designed while fitting reference height specs. This gen has been a letdown compared the 1060 in terms of SFF choices.

There are no exact plans at this time but there's a possibility. Main problem is cost for such a small maker.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Based on the pictures, it seems both Gigabyte and Asus is oversized. The PCB should only be about 5mm above the bracket tab, and based on the pictures, it is about 10mm. Asus coolers also look awful, just a solid block of extruded aluminum. The MSI Aero ITX and the EVGA SC coolers were well designed while fitting reference height specs. This gen has been a letdown compared the 1060 in terms of SFF choices.

There are no exact plans at this time but there's a possibility. Main problem is cost for such a small maker.
I was going by your post of 126mm GPU height. Both the Asus and Gigabyte are 121mm.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I was going by your post of 126mm GPU height. Both the Asus and Gigabyte are 121mm.

Ah. Different manufacturers quote height differently. Since I'm concerned with the overall size to fit inside the chassis, I treat the height as the max overall height, which is tip of the IO bracket to the top of the PCB. Most manufacturers seem to measure from the fingers, which is around 111 mm for reference spec. This means the Asus and Gigabyte are about 10 mm over reference spec.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Ah. Different manufacturers quote height differently. Since I'm concerned with the overall size to fit inside the chassis, I treat the height as the max overall height, which is tip of the IO bracket to the top of the PCB. Most manufacturers seem to measure from the fingers, which is around 111 mm for reference spec. This means the Asus and Gigabyte are about 10 mm over reference spec.

This tidbit should be in the references section itself, or better yet, you should write a book!

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
Looks good. I expect you'll need to expand somewhere for a case fan, especially because of the PSU...

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Following this! Limiting GPU's to reference height seems really bad for compatibility though as it leaves so little options. Might be worth looking at what happens to the case when you allow GPU's like the 1070 Aero ITX or Gigabytes 1070 and 1080 ITX version.