Concept Project: The Smallest (gaming PC that theHACK can design and build)

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
This guy never stops! So cool! XD

It'll be even smaller than that so no room for the Distro.
I thought adding the Distro400 was the only way to avoid SYNC problems when there is a GPU in the build, no?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Does this mean you are planning a new revision of the ONE2 plugin with an (8 pin) additional PCIe power connection?

My goal for 2020 was wiring a RPS-200-12 and the 160w ONE2 plugin with a 1650 in a Velka 3 ... but I think my plans may have just changed XD

I really wanted to do this too but I think the RPS-200-12 doesn't fit in most of these mini sandwich cases because they have exactly 40mm for a FlexATX PSU and the Meanwell units are like 43mm thick.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Following this! Limiting GPU's to reference height seems really bad for compatibility though as it leaves so little options. Might be worth looking at what happens to the case when you allow GPU's like the 1070 Aero ITX or Gigabytes 1070 and 1080 ITX version.

You can fit then if you use an external psu. The small psu I am fitting is more for mid range GPUs. Once you start 1070 and 1080 a regular flex based psu starts making more sense. It's also the matter of me wanting this to be really small.

I really wanted to do this too but I think the RPS-200-12 doesn't fit in most of these mini sandwich cases because they have exactly 40mm for a FlexATX PSU and the Meanwell units are like 43mm thick.

The RPS 200 is actually 40mm x 62mm x 102 mm.

Reactions: smitty2k1

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
You can fit then if you use an external psu. The small psu I am fitting is more for mid range GPUs. Once you start 1070 and 1080 a regular flex based psu starts making more sense. It's also the matter of me wanting this to be really small.

The RPS 200 is actually 40mm x 62mm x 102 mm.

Ah thanks, I was going off the 400w version, didn't realize it was bigger in that dimension as well as being 3"x5" :)

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Just my two cents... if it can't fit current-generation ITX graphics cards, I think it'll be a tough sell. I think giving it just a tiny bit more height to fit the taller ITX GPUs would be a smart compromise. I doubt many people are going to want to go back to Pascal considering Turing is over a year old and Ampere is probably coming in 2020.

Also - our savior might be AMD as the reference RX5500 PCB looks like it might work?

The AIB cards that have launched look like the reference PCB with a giant oversized cooler on it, so we just need to wait for an "ITX" version to be announced. That said, 180mm long is not 170mm long so... maybe these are too long?

I just think it's silly to design a case for 2020 that will only fit graphics cards from 2016/2017.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Just my two cents... if it can't fit current-generation ITX graphics cards, I think it'll be a tough sell. I think giving it just a tiny bit more height to fit the taller ITX GPUs would be a smart compromise. I doubt many people are going to want to go back to Pascal considering Turing is over a year old and Ampere is probably coming in 2020.

Also - our savior might be AMD as the reference RX5500 PCB looks like it might work?

The AIB cards that have launched look like the reference PCB with a giant oversized cooler on it, so we just need to wait for an "ITX" version to be announced. That said, 180mm long is not 170mm long so... maybe these are too long?

I just think it's silly to design a case for 2020 that will only fit graphics cards from 2016/2017.

At the length, because the power connector is forward it is too long. Hopefully sapphire comes through with their own design.

Luckily this is not a commercial product so I can get away with it!

Last edited:

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I thought adding the Distro400 was the only way to avoid SYNC problems when there is a GPU in the build, no?
This made me reread the great 'Guide to 12V PSU' thread, where I found:

I do need to confirm something with a different user. The person noticed his computer did not power off completely, despite using the G-Unique PSU. I've noticed that this is a common issue with Asrock motherboard... seems just they way they connect their 12V rail causes weird logic issues.
Which should imply the G-Unique PSUs have a built-in solid state relay (load switch) that takes care of the SYNC and thus prevent PC parts to stay turned on when the computer is off.

@Thehack, are you going to put a G-Unique PSU into this build?
Or do you have a new PDCB with a load switch in preparation?
Something else maybe?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
This made me reread the great 'Guide to 12V PSU' thread, where I found:

Which should imply the G-Unique PSUs have a built-in solid state relay (load switch) that takes care of the SYNC and thus prevent PC parts to stay turned on when the computer is off.

@Thehack, are you going to put a G-Unique PSU into this build?
Or do you have a new PDCB with a load switch in preparation?
Something else maybe?

No clue yet. For example the artysen psu have a remote on function that may work with the M2427.

Concerning the G-unique it seems that they actually lack the mosfet for gpu power output. Essentially no load switch, which in my opinion is an alarming design choice. This based on experience with talking to a couple users and I can't confirm if the current designs are different now. High current mosfets and connectors take up a lot of precious board space.

Reactions: BaK

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Wait, standard GPU size? In a case smaller than even your J-Hack Pure? I think we are approaching mad scientist levels of electronic trickery to realize this.

Will you consider a thin mini ITX board to keep the dimensions as slim as possible, or would the lack of a PCIe x16 slot be too limiting for your gaming needs?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Wait, standard GPU size? In a case smaller than even your J-Hack Pure? I think we are approaching mad scientist levels of electronic trickery to realize this.

Will you consider a thin mini ITX board to keep the dimensions as slim as possible, or would the lack of a PCIe x16 slot be too limiting for your gaming needs?

Cooler height is generally the limiting factor. The NH-L9 is the smallest cooler that can reasonably cool a 60W CPU.

Having done some more research to the GPUs this generation, the most powerful GPU I can cram in my design is the GTX 1660 Super. A reasonably high performing GPU.

However, since it hardly differences from my outstanding GTX 1070 ITX Aero, I have little reasons to buy it for this project. I will have to increase the size a bit to accommodate the 1070. It is sad that my GTX 1070 doesn't have a successor 3 years later.

Last edited:
Reactions: chyll2

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

Currently it sits at 99mm x 195 mm x 180 mm, 3.47 L. This an accurate dimension (but ignoring the GPU locking tab). Most would compare this to the Velka 3, which is "3.7 L". Of course, this gives up 2 fans and standard power supply.

If you drop oversized ITX GPUs support, we can down size it to 3.30L.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
I assume we'll be able to put the meanwell 4x2 12v psu in this? Will it fit the meanwell 5x3 12v psu's? Like RPS-500-12-C?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I assume we'll be able to put the meanwell 4x2 12v psu in this? Will it fit the meanwell 5x3 12v psu's? Like RPS-500-12-C?

It'd only fit 2x4. The 5x3 size is about the size of a FlexATX unit, so it is less interesting.

I did an inprogress quote and it is about $260 per unit including laser cut panels.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
I did an inprogress quote and it is about $260 per unit including laser cut panels.

$260 for a 3d printed item with flat metal side panels? Does this include power button and pci-e riser cable?

Honestly id rather see it CNC'd from a block of aluminum if we are talking prices over $200.