Project Kase²

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
4,689
7,954
Auckland, New Zealand
sff.network
A rebuild of my NAS/everything server into a proper modern rack chassis. Nothing detailed, just a quick photo shoot and walk thru!

Case: Norco RPC-230 (14.6 Litres!)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16gb kit (to be replaced with 32gb of "normal" DDR4 in the future)
CPU: Pentium G4400
Drives: a selection of SSDs
Power Supply: Corsair 450w Platinum


Excuse the work surface - I was thermal testing the Streacom DA2 on my workbench when I built this. It's static safe, honest! Except the dust and crap floating around from stripping down the last server.. -_-

IMG_2364.jpg

The case. 2u, short depth, and has a USB3 front panel port. Nice.

IMG_2366.jpg

Pretty normal for a 2U, here. I should note; I'm a server geek first, SFF second.

IMG_2372.jpg

Four 3.5" drives, two 80mm fans, SECC steel.

IMG_2376.jpg

Let's change the fans! Not sure if this is the right way, but it's my way, and my way is best, dammit!

IMG_2380.jpg

No comment.

IMG_2385.jpg

Done!

IMG_2388.jpg

SilverStone's 5.25 to four x 2.5" drive bay. Perfect for my needs here.

IMG_2393.jpg

Installed. Different shades of grey. Kinky.

IMG_2401.jpg

Motherboard installed. SilverStone's AR11 cooler.

IMG_2405.jpg

SFX on ATX bracket - allowing cooling in what would otherwise be a chassis that blocks the intake of a normal ATX PSU.

IMG_2409.jpg

Installedededed

IMG_2413.jpg

First PSU cable in, routed under the network card. Front panel cables routed thru the 3.5" bays that I won't be using.

IMG_2421.jpg

Cables done. Neat, tidy. The blue/white ATX extension is there as the Corsair PSU cables are too short in this layout. It's what I had to hand. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IMG_2430.jpg

SATA DATA wired.

IMG_2436.jpg

Racked. I love me a good rack.

IMG_2441.jpg

One last look before I close the lid. On to software. I won't cover that because I'm a software/OS n00b, really.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rfarmer

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
2,117
1,584
A rebuild of my NAS/everything server into a proper modern rack chassis. Nothing detailed, just a quick photo shoot and walk thru!

Case: Norco RPC-230 (14.6 Litres!)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16gb kit (to be replaced with 32gb of "normal" DDR4 in the future)
CPU: Pentium G4400
Drives: a selection of SSDs
Power Supply: Corsair 450w Platinum


Excuse the work surface - I was thermal testing the Streacom DA2 on my workbench when I built this. It's static safe, honest! Except the dust and crap floating around from stripping down the last server.. -_-

IMG_2364.jpg

The case. 2u, short depth, and has a USB3 front panel port. Nice.

IMG_2366.jpg

Pretty normal for a 2U, here. I should note; I'm a server geek first, SFF second.

IMG_2372.jpg

Four 3.5" drives, two 80mm fans, SECC steel.

IMG_2376.jpg

Let's change the fans! Not sure if this is the right way, but it's my way, and my way is best, dammit!

IMG_2380.jpg

No comment.

IMG_2385.jpg

Done!

IMG_2388.jpg

SilverStone's 5.25 to four x 2.5" drive bay. Perfect for my needs here.

IMG_2393.jpg

Installed. Different shades of grey. Kinky.

IMG_2401.jpg

Motherboard installed. SilverStone's AR11 cooler.

IMG_2405.jpg

SFX on ATX bracket - allowing cooling in what would otherwise be a chassis that blocks the intake of a normal ATX PSU.

IMG_2409.jpg

Installedededed

IMG_2413.jpg

First PSU cable in, routed under the network card. Front panel cables routed thru the 3.5" bays that I won't be using.

IMG_2421.jpg

Cables done. Neat, tidy. The blue/white ATX extension is there as the Corsair PSU cables are too short in this layout. It's what I had to hand. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IMG_2430.jpg

SATA DATA wired.

IMG_2436.jpg

Racked. I love me a good rack.

IMG_2441.jpg

One last look before I close the lid. On to software. I won't cover that because I'm a software/OS n00b, really.

The G4400 is a home server BEAST. My first PC build is now a server, and it has one of those in it. It's been running 24/7 since mid-2017, stopping once for a dust cleanup, and once because of a power outage.

I hadn't thought about it for a while, but it's overclockable, isn't it? I need to look into that again.
 
  • Like
Reactions: confusis