Prototype Project 404 - Sub 10 liter Vertical Tower

lehman

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 9, 2019
Nice project. Congratulations!
Form what I understand this is an exercise not something you plan to build for selling. Am I correct?

Thanks you!

Yes, this is just a custom one off case. I have no intention of building these for sale. It would have to be made about 20mm wider to fit a normal sfx power supply.

The whole case is built around specific parts that we had in hand to get real measurements to limit excess space. There are plenty of areas where we have only 1mm of clearance.

I will do a build log when I get everything. But it is built around the following parts.

Tx360 radiator
Noctua nf a12x25
Asus x470-i motherboard
Alphacool LT solo pump block if my custom pump block doesn't work
Vega 64 on an EK waterblock with a custom terminal block
Corsair sfx750 with fan removed and cut down to 50mm wide

Lehman

Reactions: zzmadd and Sashby

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 18, 2017
Thanks you!

Yes, this is just a custom one off case. I have no intention of building these for sale. It would have to be made about 20mm wider to fit a normal sfx power supply.

The whole case is built around specific parts that we had in hand to get real measurements to limit excess space. There are plenty of areas where we have only 1mm of clearance.

I will do a build log when I get everything. But it is built around the following parts.

Tx360 radiator
Noctua nf a12x25
Asus x470-i motherboard
Alphacool LT solo pump block if my custom pump block doesn't work
Vega 64 on an EK waterblock with a custom terminal block
Corsair sfx750 with fan removed and cut down to 50mm wide

Lehman
We could live with a 20mm wider case....?

alauder

Trash Compacter
May 10, 2019
www.pcdesignfoundry.com
Hi Lehman. Here are pics of the painted assembled parts with the Aluminium trim.

PC Design Foundry

alauder

Trash Compacter
May 10, 2019
www.pcdesignfoundry.com
Hi Tazpr. Do you mean like this or something else? Can you sketch it?

Here is an update form today. I made the metal mount plate and the acrylic mid plate. Whole thing can be assembled now but I still need to make the internal custom O-ring. Also the side surfaces are a bit rough so I need to sand them down to make sure the fitting O-rings seal. Then I can ship it out to lehman.

There is an extra block that the jet plate rests on. This block still needs to be glued in.

Will need some thin head screws for the pump.

Side surfaces are rough. I was trying out a new extra long cutter as the acrylic block is 25 mm thick. Next one I make I should be able to improve this.

PC Design Foundry

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Hi Tazpr. Do you mean like this or something else? Can you sketch it?

Here is an update form today. I made the metal mount plate and the acrylic mid plate. Whole thing can be assembled now but I still need to make the internal custom O-ring. Also the side surfaces are a bit rough so I need to sand them down to make sure the fitting O-rings seal. Then I can ship it out to lehman.

There is an extra block that the jet plate rests on. This block still needs to be glued in.

Will need some thin head screws for the pump.

Side surfaces are rough. I was trying out a new extra long cutter as the acrylic block is 25 mm thick. Next one I make I should be able to improve this.

PC Design Foundry
I guess it depends on whether or not the Velocity cold play and mid plate use the same mounting holes. If they do - then something that could essentially convert it into a Pump/Block/Res combo could have more production value than another case.

Would save you having to design and manufacture the cold plate fin array which seems like the most challenging part and addressing one of the key frustrations with designing an SFF water-cooling loop.

I would totally suggest starting a new project thread to gauge community demand for this sort of part - I'd be interested is seeing some designs.

It really does look amazing though and can't wait to see how it integrates and performs in the final product!

Reactions: Sashby

lehman

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 9, 2019
The pump block with mini res came from a need for this case. I have an Alphacool LT pump block but I was unsure if it could handle a 360 radiator and a video card.

Since the LT solo is 39mm tall, that became our height limit.

The block is just like Tazpr said. A bridge between an ekwb coldplate and an ekwb spc-60 pump. It uses all stock mounting locations.

Lehman

Last edited:
Reactions: Sashby and Tazpr

alauder

Trash Compacter
May 10, 2019
www.pcdesignfoundry.com
Hi All.

So I remade the top of the water block to improve the surface finish and quality.

Here is the side hole cutting.

Then I made a new O ring for it.

On Assembly though I found a new problem. The force needed to compress the gasket deforms the bottom plate away from the top. This caused a leak.

I will have to add another screw in future versions.

For this current iteration I came up with the idea to add a flange to the Aluminium mount plate so I would not have to remake all the acrylic parts. Here you can see with the flange the gasket looks like it is making contact and is wetting out.

Here is the finished assembly ready to ship out to Lehman.

Total height from Cold Plate to top of pump is 38 mm.
It will need some special low profile screws for the pump mounting that Lehman said he could find locally.
It fits AMD AM3+ and AM4 sockets.
Connects an EK-Supremacy EVO copper coldplate and jet plate to an EKWB spc-60 pump.
Uses the mounting hardware from the EK-Supremacy EVO

I'll start another thread on it to see if there is more interest in this.

PC Design Foundry

Last edited:

lehman

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 9, 2019
I just ordered a 3900x to test out this pump/block combo on. It will running through a XSPC tx360 radiator and an EKWB on a 5700xt. Hopefully I will have all the parts in the next week or two.

Lehman

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Hi All.

So I remade the top of the water block to improve the surface finish and quality.

Here is the side hole cutting.

Then I made a new O ring for it.

On Assembly though I found a new problem. The force needed to compress the gasket deforms the bottom plate away from the top. This caused a leak.

I will have to add another screw in future versions.

For this current iteration I came up with the idea to add a flange to the Aluminium mount plate so I would not have to remake all the acrylic parts. Here you can see with the flange the gasket looks like it is making contact and is wetting out.

Here is the finished assembly ready to ship out to Lehman.

Total height from Cold Plate to top of pump is 38 mm.
It will need some special low profile screws for the pomp mounting the Lehman said he could find locally.
It fits AMD AM3+ and AM4 sockets.
Connects an EK-Supremacy EVO copper coldplate and jet plate to an EKWB spc-60 pump.
Uses the mounting hardware from the EK-Supremacy EVO

I'll start another thread on it to see if there is more interest in this.

PC Design Foundry
I WILL LOVE TO USE ONE OF THESE!!!

Reactions: alauder and lehman

stepnyVLK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 23, 2019
I will be testing the prototype as soon as I get it to verify the idea works. If it all goes well and if there is enough interest, we will be doing a small production run.

Lehman
if one would have your manufacturing possibilities :)
great looking stuff ?

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 18, 2017
Hi zzmadd. I can design one for the 1151 socket early next year as I have a lot of other projects to complete first. It will have to be quite different from this current AM3+ / AM4 one to avoid the mount points.

Thanks a lot!
Let's keep in touch.
In terms of noise, reliability and price, how does it stand?
Thanks.

Reactions: Sashby