Accessory Portable gaming/cinema display

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
Those of you with experience with these portable monitors: I just bought a GAEMS M155 and am a little disappointed in the picture quality in Windows 10. Is the Gechic 2501C any better? Or do I have to splurge on the super expensive 1080P IPS variants?

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
thought about, but ultimately too hacky for me. Sucker for nice things. If I had a 3D printer, Id so be doing it

EDIT: Check out this panel. That's some beefy specs for $50! http://ebay.to/21Y6Bxv
Still won't be doing this just because I don't want to go brute force testing controller boards and I want clean looking hardware.

Last edited:

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
The screen you linked comes with a bezel so you should be able to use that to mount. I don't know your application, but perhaps you could run the cables/cards into your case or whatever.

This guy did something similar but didn't have the bezel. His controller board and inverter are tucked behind the screen.

As for looking up the boards, all you have to do is send the eBay seller linked in the article the display info, and they will tell you what board you need. No need to experiment or tinker. Thinking about doing the same thing myself for a desktop PC in a pelican case.

Reactions: iFreilicht

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
As for looking up the boards, all you have to do is send the eBay seller linked in the article the display info, and they will tell you what board you need. No need to experiment or tinker. Thinking about doing the same thing myself for a desktop PC in a pelican case.

Thats a cool alternative to the GAEMS Vanguard/Sentry, and probably has a better screen for $300 less. Unfortunately Im looking to backpack rig. Ultimately, I gave in and bought a GeChic 1303H.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Thats a cool alternative to the GAEMS Vanguard/Sentry, and probably has a better screen for $300 less. Unfortunately Im looking to backpack rig. Ultimately, I gave in and bought a GeChic 1303H.

Cool, make sure to post your thoughts on it! If you've still got the older display maybe try and do some comparison shots or what have you. There's something to be said for having a reliable, premade product you don't have to mess with.

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
Already returned the GAEMS sadly, apparently it isn't all that bad for console gaming, but it looks like *** in Windows 10, regardless of resolution. Honestly $300 for a 60Hz 1080p panel is pretty steep, but its color quality is obviously much much better than the GAEMS (and with less backlight washout) and the viewing angles are more to my liking. Build quality feels better too but again, this is a pretty unfair comparison.

O yeah, and they include serviceable speakers ;)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Hi, I ensist you GeChic 2501C 15.6″ Portable USB Gaming Monitor [mod: link removed]. It completely fits with your needs. It comes with 15.6" display and comes with plug and play feature. So, you don't need any driver installation for it.

He was asking for 120Hz refresh rate, which that monitor doesn't have. He wants to specifically use it for gaming. While DisplayLink is not a bad protocol, it has significantly worse response time than any native interface like DP or HDMI. So saying "It completely fits with your needs." is not entirely truthful.

You're also linking to a site of questionable objectivity with no imprint whatsoever that you are the owner of (I assume). The site claims to list the best monitors in a few different categories, but doesn't do any actual testing or even link to reviews. All it does is list a few pros and cons and then link to the product on amazon with what looks like an affiliate link, which means you get a bit of money for everything people buy from amazon after clicking it. This forum is very open to community members linking to their own work, even of commercial kind, but you have to disclose your affiliation with the site you're linking to, and if you're only here to promote your own material, please ask moderators/site staff for permission first.

And BTW, the social media links on the top of your page don't work. At least put a little effort in if you want to make a quick cash grab.

To everyone who clicked through one of the amazon-links on that site, delete your cookies from amazon and remove all items in your cart that you added to it between clicking the link and removing the cookie. More information on why.

Last edited by a moderator:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
While DisplayLink is not a bad protocol
It kind of is. The first troubleshooting step for most graphical issues is "remove DisplayLink if installed". The driver alone being present is enough to screw up some setups (e.g. display spanning, anything to do with VR, anything to do with high refresh rates, HDMI with correct levels, colour calibration, remote access, etc).

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Well that's not the fault of the protocol, but the driver, is it? On it's own, DisplayLink is working quite well for the applications it is intended for. Either way, I'm hoping it will get replaced by HDMI/DP over USB C as quickly as possible.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Well that's not the fault of the protocol, but the driver, is it? On it's own, DisplayLink is working quite well for the applications it is intended for. Either way, I'm hoping it will get replaced by HDMI/DP over USB C as quickly as possible.
Possibly, but I've not encountered a less-broken implementation, and IIRC the DisplayLink company themselves are the only ones who write the driver, with vendors who buy their chips to integrate just inserting their logo into the installer when applicable.