Concept Please HELP to turn this into a reality | A sub-6L console-like FlexATX with Full length GPU support concept case

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
My very rough guess is that it can be a sub 6 liters case.

it can not be less than 6.5 litres, & also cool current 10th Gen CPUs properly.

if you want to use an outdated CPU, then that will work.

the case i'm discussing, is for properly cooling current 10th Gen CPUs.

jchang91010

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
I actually have a concept with this layout, even made a protype lol. I'm not sure I want to launch it because flex psu's suck currently and internal power connector is a bitch to manufacture.
It is around 5L, accepts reference sized gpu's and 37mm cpu coolers:

Lovely! This is exactly what I am looking for. It would be a shame if it stays as a prototype.

Personally, I speak Chinese and am able to explore Taobao a bit more. You would be surprise how popular flex atx cases are made possible by cases like SGPC K39 because how cheap the case is. There are many vendors that sell modded enhance PSUs. They even come with warranties, but its probably hard to access if you are outside of China. The newest model I saw was a 700w 7760B. When you combine high wattage(so that your actual system load is closer to that 50% PSU load where it is the most efficient) and high efficiency (gold or plat.) the noctua fan is really able to handle it since less heat is being generated. I have been running my 7660b full-tilt all the time either gaming or folding with 2070 and RX6800 (both stable OC) with 3600x. The fan isn't even ramping to its max and never had an issue, but that's just me. People were also skeptical about SFX at the first place, but look at it now. People doing 10900k and 3090 on 750w sfx. The great thing about technology is it always improve. Time will tell I guess.

There are cases like k39 and velka 5, but nth like a console that you created. I would definitely encourage you to continue with your project. The shrunk in sizes from a SFX case (sentry 2.0) to flexATX k39 and your prototype is rather significant. It is probably the next evolutionary step in SFF. Anyways, if you ever sell ur case, I am sold already.

Last edited:

jchang91010

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
it can not be less than 6.5 litres, & also cool current 10th Gen CPUs properly.

if you want to use an outdated CPU, then that will work.

the case i'm discussing, is for properly cooling current 10th Gen CPUs.

you are absolutely right. Anything more than an i5 and r5 will probably be limited, but again most people running i7 or r7 or above probably don't realize that they don't even need it.

My thinking is, when you stretch the case to >70 thickness, you can just go with SFX, as there is no point in going FlexATX. The sole reason to go FlexATX is to go even smaller.

Last edited:

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
no.

when you design the same/exact case, that i'm discussing, for a SFX power unit, size increases to over 7 litres.

so there is a point.

Last edited:

jchang91010

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
I actually have a concept with this layout, even made a protype lol. I'm not sure I want to launch it because flex psu's suck currently and internal power connector is a bitch to manufacture.
It is around 5L, accepts reference sized gpu's and 37mm cpu coolers:

Do you see a noticeable increase of turbulence noise with the side panel closed on your prototype? The extra noise of gpu being too close to side panel is the reason I am running my current case with the panel off. using 25mm instead of 15mm up top because of noise too.

@ZS-Cases

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Use 301mm x 66mm x 327mm

at 66mm, a 47mm CPU cooler will rub up against its sidepanel; which will make these coolers noisy, & decrease cooling performance, because a 3-4 mm airgap is required.

320mm X 296mm X 69mm is the correct dimension, to get to 6.5 L, and fit a Flex power unit, as the OP wanted.

unfortunately, the OP cannot get to under 6.0 L, unless someone wants to give him their prototype.

no one on this forum is offering a final production model, under 6.5 L, and above i've explained why.

Last edited:

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
at 66 mm, a 47 mm CPU cooler will rub up against its sidepanel
That is completely not true. At that height, a 49mm CPU cooler can be allowed, or even higher with lower profile motherboard standoffs.
320mm X 296mm X 69mm is the correct dimension, to get to 6.5 litres
Let me tell you, 320mm high would mean lower profile GPUs than most (around 110mm), so at those dimensions there would be limited compatibility

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Let me tell you, 320mm high would mean lower profile GPUs than most (around 119mm), so at those dimensions there would be limited compatibility

you're somewhat correct, but please keep in mind that its the OP, who wants a Flex powered case, around 6.5 litres.

there's already a SFX powered case, which is under 7.0 litres, but i'm catering to the OP's preferences.

my personal preference is SFX powered, with dimensions of 320mm X 317mm X 69mm.

Last edited:

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
you're somewhat correct, but please keep in mind that its the OP, who wants a Flex powered case, around 6.5 litres.
FlexATX doesn't change GPU height compatibility compared to SFX (They're still the same height, or SFX even more because FlexATX cables are so crowded)

And keep in mind, 301mm x 66mm x 327mm would work for SFX too.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Take SammyXXM for example

these cases are 66mm or less in height, but 7.9 L or more, in size.

the OP wants a case around 6.0 L ,in size.

i'm trying to cater to the OP's preferences, instead of my own preferences.

so i've suggested that a 6.5 L case, would be the closest he can get, unless someone on this forum is offering their prototype to him.

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
these cases are 66mm or less in height, but 7.9 L or more, in size.

the OP wants a case around 6.0 L ,in size.

i'm trying to cater to the OP's preferences, instead of my own preferences.

so i've suggested that a 6.5 L case, would be the closest he can get, unless someone on this forum is offering their prototype to him.
YES, but who said a 66mm case HAS to be 7.9L or more? You are making huge assumptions here.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
the case i'm discussing is 320mm X 296mm X 69mm [ 6.5 litres ] .

height is not adjustable, as its 69mm.

other dimensions can be adjusted upwards, but not downwards.

sergiiua

The builder of unique cases ...
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
Hello guys,

I am just your average SFF lover.

I am currently rocking a ZS A4s-V3. I love how clean and small it is at a little over 6 liters. My only gripe with it is that the side panel is too close to the GPU and you can definitely notice an extra level of noise when the side panel is closed.

I got a raw concept in my head, but I am not familiar with CAD. I am a grad student who doesn't really have the time nor the ability to make this work.

My very rough guess is that it can be a sub 6 liters case.

330mm x 284mm (+10 or 15mm to accommodate rtx 3080?) x 60mm? ~5.6L

I am hoping someone can make this a reality, or refer me to someone whom I can pay and get this custom made.

FlexATX PSU has come a long way and many more high watt options are coming to the market. e.g. FSP and Enhance.

I have a 600W platinum Enhance 7660b modded with a noctua fan. It is as quiet as those SFX ones and handles my overclocked RX6800 non-XT with ease.

This is better for AMD Ryzen 5 or Intel i5. May be an undervolted i7 or R7. I reckon that you don't really need high core counts for gaming. FPS gains are minimal with a better CPU. Coolers like noctua L9i should cool a R5 just fine.

Not sure if you can fit an SSD on top of the PSU, but with some MBs supporting 2 NVME, I think you can do without an SSD.

This should be a good option between cases like S4 mini and Sentry 2.0.

Again, please let me know if anyone can make this work or any case makers are interested in taking this design. I will definitely buy a case from you.

Cheers.
even if you make shortened PSU cables, it will be difficult for you to lay them.