Concept Please HELP to turn this into a reality | A sub-6L console-like FlexATX with Full length GPU support concept case

jchang91010

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
Hello guys,

I am just your average SFF lover.

I am currently rocking a ZS A4s-V3. I love how clean and small it is at a little over 6 liters. My only gripe with it is that the side panel is too close to the GPU and you can definitely notice an extra level of noise when the side panel is closed.

I got a raw concept in my head, but I am not familiar with CAD. I am a grad student who doesn't really have the time nor the ability to make this work.

My very rough guess is that it can be a sub 6 liters case.

330mm x 284mm (+10 or 15mm to accommodate rtx 3080?) x 60mm? ~5.6L

I am hoping someone can make this a reality, or refer me to someone whom I can pay and get this custom made.

FlexATX PSU has come a long way and many more high watt options are coming to the market. e.g. FSP and Enhance.

I have a 600W platinum Enhance 7660b modded with a noctua fan. It is as quiet as those SFX ones and handles my overclocked RX6800 non-XT with ease.

This is better for AMD Ryzen 5 or Intel i5. May be an undervolted i7 or R7. I reckon that you don't really need high core counts for gaming. FPS gains are minimal with a better CPU. Coolers like noctua L9i should cool a R5 just fine.

Not sure if you can fit an SSD on top of the PSU, but with some MBs supporting 2 NVME, I think you can do without an SSD.

This should be a good option between cases like S4 mini and Sentry 2.0.

Again, please let me know if anyone can make this work or any case makers are interested in taking this design. I will definitely buy a case from you.

Cheers.

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
First, sorry for being off topic.

Actually, ZS A4s-V2 is 7.5L. If you wish to go down from SFX to Flex 1U PSU, maybe you can also consider ZS A4s-V3 (which is 6.2L and a reduction of 1.3L is quite good)?

jchang91010

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 9, 2020

Actually, ZS A4s-V2 is 7.5L. If you wish to go down from SFX to Flex 1U PSU, maybe you can also consider ZS A4s-V3 (which is 6.2L and a reduction of 1.3L is quite good)?

I am talking about this one.

jchang91010

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 9, 2020

I am talking about this one.
Yeah, it was a typo. My bad,

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Hello guys,

I am just your average SFF lover.

I am currently rocking a ZS A4s-V2. I love how clean and small it is at a little over 6 liters. My only gripe with it is that the side panel is too close to the GPU and you can definitely notice an extra level of noise when the side panel is closed.

I got a raw concept in my head, but I am not familiar with CAD. I am a grad student who doesn't really have the time nor the ability to make this work.

My very rough guess is that it can be a sub 6 liters case.

I am hoping someone can make this a reality, or refer me to someone whom I can pay and get this custom made.

FlexATX PSU has come a long way and many more high watt options are coming to the market. e.g. FSP and Enhance.

I have a 600W platinum Enhance 7660b modded with a noctua fan. It is as quiet as those SFX ones and handles my overclocked RX6800 non-XT with ease.

This is better for AMD Ryzen 5 or Intel i5. May be an undervolted i7 or R7. I reckon that you don't really need high core counts for gaming. FPS gains are minimal with a better CPU. Coolers like noctua L9i should cool a R5 just fine.

Not sure if you can fit an SSD on top of the PSU, but with some MBs supporting 2 NVME, I think you can do without an SSD.

This should be a good option between cases like S4 mini and Sentry 2.0.

Again, please let me know if anyone can make this work or any case makers are interested in taking this design. I will definitely buy a case from you.

Cheers.

i'm aware of a horizontal case, using Flex power units, which is approximately 6.5 litres.

its not setup for vertical placement.

jchang91010

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
dimensions are 334mm X 284mm X 69mm.

The dimension sounds a about right in line with what I have here. Might be able to shave off 5mm or more off of the height to get a slimmer build.

Who made it? How much did it cost? Any photos?

jchang91010

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
using this PCIe riser from ZS cases can minimize the distance between the bottom of the GPU and the outer shell of the case.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
The dimension sounds a about right in line with what I have here. Might be able to shave off 5mm or more off of the height to get a slimmer build.

Who made it? How much did it cost? Any photos?

might be able to be adjusted.

Last edited:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
1. because flex psu's suck currently

2.internal power connector is a bitch to manufacture.

1. They do?

2. Please explain what you mean by internal power connector? Like the c13/c14 extension?

I have ordered these from taobao (but they are now on AliExpress) very low profile and decent quality from my experience.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
1. They do?

Flex power unit that the OP has, is excellent quality, see :

Last edited:

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
1. They do?

2. Please explain what you mean by internal power connector? Like the c13/c14 extension?

I have ordered these from taobao (but they are now on AliExpress) very low profile and decent quality from my experience.

Yes, these one should work, I basically made them by myself, it is the same type. They are like 5 times more expensive then regular ones.

Flex power unit that the OP has, is excellent quality, see :

Yes, 7660 is ok, but still some users report high noise. Still has very high price, very low availability, and modding psu is not something that most people would do. And even if you mod it, how can you be sure that the noctua fan that is (let's be real) much weaker than the original won't lower psu's lifespan (imagine 30-35C ambient etc).

And it won't get much better, +600w sfx supplies are not that cheap, and flex psu has like double the power density, and much lower cooling capability.
So yeah, I'm currently very skeptic for flex atx market, latest example was fsp's 500w flexguru which also turned our to be too loud, expensive and unobtanium (in my country we have a lot of fsp psu's available, but zero felx atx units, and this won't change in a long time).

And all the other flex units od decent power (400w+) like fsp, silverstone etc. are unusable because of their loudness. They are server supplies first. And they need to be that loud to have enough airflow.

Until they make them with 80mm fans on the side, I will remain reserved.

Last edited:

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
1. They do?

1. Yes they do suck. They are around 40 dB, which is around 100 times louder than the 20 dB Noctuas. Plus, they are ugly and have ketchup and mustard cables. And the one good looking AND high wattage FlexATX PSU is sold by someone who doesn't send the PSUs to the customers most of the time (SFFTEC).

2. Nice find. Although good low profile ones are very hard to find. That one just might look a little ugly, or it actually might be too wide for the PSU (Remember, it's design to be used on SFX PSUs).