Plastic cases - grounding?

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Just wondering if it is dangerous to the components (or to the user) to build a case using a non-conductive material, such as abs thermoplastic. What kind of problems could arise, and, how I can solve them without changing the case materials.

I know on a traditional case it is useful to touch the case periodically while working on it to stop any ESD damage from happening, but it won't be possible with this case?

Reactions: king_ben

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I've never had any issues, either with zapping myself, or the components in an acrylic or wood build. We also run 230V here, so the danger is higher :D

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
lol! The only system I have zapped myself with was a metal chassis one, oddly.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I have the same experience with my acylic LZ7 case and one in the past. Also no static charges on the panels, no weird stuff happening.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I have built quite a few all plastic cases, and all powdercoated cases.

For MOST components, it is no problem. Most modern motherboards and expansion cards are designed quite well and everything will ground out properly through your power supply.

However there are some components which absolutely hate it if you dont have an all metal backplane--but these are more specialty cards like professional capture cards.

I did a fairly large install for a company with my old job and we used all powdercoated cases and had bad problems with grounding that was resolved by bridging the capture card PCIE slot with copper tape to the motherboard IO.

So it is pretty rare that this can happen, but this is the whole reason I anodize the inside of the S4 MINI and do a double dip with dye instead of black paint...could not have that happen to me in case the MINI got used for this purpose.

TLDR,

I wouldn't worry about it for your gaming rig.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Errrrm.... Correct me by all means, but surely DC has no earth?

That's good to point out. My post was late at night and I see it wasn't clear, but I was talking about two different scenarios--one through power supply in an all acrylic case:

One about DC cases which there was a bonded common inside the case, but with an isolated capture card.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz