News Phanteks shows their new Evolv Shift and Shift X vertical style cases

HarwareCanucks did a video showing off Phanteks' new ITX cases, Evolv Shift and Shift X, that feature vertical orientation of the motherboard and GPU, in a way similar to the Corsair One. It will probably show up on Computex as well. The volumes are a bit on the disappointing side at 22L and 30L, but the glass side panel does make the system look real nice.

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016

I just need to hear your thoughts on this.

As you can hear in the video, Dmitry says that parts of the ITX case will be of plastic.
I was really looking forward to this case, but now that i hear that the ITX case will be of worse quality and "inferior" to the ATX, I'm so mad. For me that's a total deal breaker. If they can

They did this with the Evolv ITX as well, and I just don't get it..

What are your thoughts?

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
It does give the option for people to watercool their high end htpcs though which in my opinion is still a win.
You can't expect these large quantity case dealers to make anything say sub 4 liters that can house a GPU. There's not a big enough market for them to even consider it. However when there's forums and designers like we have here on the forums it fills those gaps. Because even low run cases are enough for the small amount of people that are interested in things that small. Personally I'd rather have a rig that easily slides into a backpack and allow me to head to a friend's even if sound ends up being a little louder.

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
In spite of it's volume, I'm actually a fan of the Evolv Shift.
For a showcase, water-cooling build it could look incredible.

Reactions: W1NN1NG

cadiguno

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 18, 2016
I think it looks pretty cool, the smaller one. Minimizing footprint by going vertical is a nice choice, and it does the 'showcase' concept quite well by having dedicated cable management space. Judging from the looks it might be somewhere around 35-40cm tall making it 16-18L in total, which is still acceptable as SFF.

GuniGuGu

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 25, 2017
So here I was.. waiting on the silverstone SG14... and this bad boy arrives. So excited to see it! Any ideas on release dates?

cadiguno

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 18, 2016
I heard that the Shift is actually 22L, and if it's true then it's a total no-go IMO. I'm sure a better design can save more space.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
At 22 liters, the volume is just outside of (what I would consider) the maximum 'acceptable' SFF size (20 liters)...

But it is (in my opinion) a good looking chassis, with the aluminium front & rear panels...

And it really is a nice way to show off your hardware components, with the tempered glass side panels...

Would be really interested to see how it can handle (temperature-wise) a 8-core Ryzen CPU & a RX Vega 64 GPU (both with 120mm AIOs)...

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
At 22 liters, the volume is just outside of (what I would consider) the maximum 'acceptable' SFF size (20 liters)...

But it is (in my opinion) a good looking chassis, with the aluminium front & rear panels...

And it really is a nice way to show off your hardware components, with the tempered glass side panels...

Would be really interested to see how it can handle (temperature-wise) a 8-core Ryzen CPU & a RX Vega 64 GPU (both with 120mm AIOs)...
based purely on aesthetics id totally be willing to make a watercooled htpc in one tbh and wouldn't think twice about it. itd pair nicely with one of klipsch's soundbars

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
A couple of new videos of builds in the Phanteks Evolv Shift chassis...

Neither of these guys bothered to (fully) read the manual (RTFM)...

So, the radiator on the RX Vega 64 Liquid Cooled is 38mm. the specs for the Shift state maximum radiator thickness with two AIOs installed is 27mm...

But from my eyeballing the build videos, I think the RXV64LC radiator will JUST fit, if the length of the GPU itself is the 9.5" I think it is...

So, as asked in the Vega Nano thread:

Maybe my fortitude in relation to conducting extended Google searches is weak, but...

Does anyone have the dimensions of the RX Vega 64 Liquid Cooled card...?

If it is the same shroud as the RX480 Reference (as has been mentioned in reports on the appearance of the RX Vega 64 Reference model), then am I right that it is an inch shorter then the Nvidia GTX reference cards; 9.5" versus 10.5"...?

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Well damn, @SeñorDonut reports the liquid cooled Vega as 282mm in length; so no go for the Phanteks Evolv Shift, looks like dual AIOs in a Ncase M1 (or do I scrape up the additional 700 bucks for a full custom loop setup)...?

Reactions: Biowarejak