Motherboard PCIe on M.2 via adapter + riser

gihaume

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 25, 2020
Just to share the joy I had in succesfully installing an M.2 to PCIe adapter + PCIe riser in order to install a PCIe (1x) card on an ASUS Prime A320I-K (ITX) motherboard in a Lian Li TU100B case.

It just worked plug&play while I was not sure it would, as I can't find where anyone talk about it...

Lux

Cable Smoosher
Aug 8, 2020
I've actually been very interested in trying this sort of thing myself. I'm curious, what kind of device are you running off this connection?

I found this youtube video last year of a guy using this type of conversion for a 10gbit network card. However, one of the things did in order for it to work was add a resistor. It looks like your adapter doesn't even have those solder points at all and presumable passes the connection straight through.

gihaume

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 25, 2020
I connected a MOTU PCIe-424. It's a kind of soundcard base able to connect expander racks for up to 96 analog inputs + outputs.

The adapter has solder points for 2 resistors but there aren't any soldered.

Lux

Cable Smoosher
Aug 8, 2020
Wow, audio hardware like that is way outside of anything I've worked with before.

So my curiosity peaked, I've done a bit more research. Take my findings with a grain of salt, as this is not my area of study and I could be completely wrong.

As mentioned in that youtube video, the unpopulated resistor pads correspond to the PCIe pin labeled CLKREQ#. This connection is responsible for enabling the bus reference clock. The primary reason for this pin is power savings, since it disables the chip responsible for adjusting the PCIe bus speed.

So, here is my theory. The network card needed to instruct the motherboard to use an optimal clock speed. However, it couldn't do so without the reference clock pin. For your device, the default bus speed must already be what the sound card expects. This make some sense since the MOTU 424 was originally manufactured as PCI/PCI--X , with far less bandwidth that PCIe x1.

Effectively this plug and play result will not be the same for everyone, as it depends on the attached device and what PCIe standards it requires. I've included a number of embedded links to go with my findings but again, I'm not an expert by any means.