Origin of your nickname

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
When I played Halo in High School, i used the screen name "Puma" - but then when I wanted to play Halo 2 in college that was already taken and I was drunk at the time, so I used "IntoxicatedPuma" - nobody else uses it because it sounds like a cougar in a bar so I keep using it.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Mine is from a type of bipolar junction transistor. I have a fondness for them: slightly outdated but still useful, made with extremely loose tolerances (seriously, β can vary by as much as ±50%) which also makes precise calculation less important, and more tolerant to ESD than FETs.

Even though I've used far more NPNs than PNPs (2N4400 is my favorite for LED driving), N-P-N doesn't roll off the tounge the same way P-N-P does.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Sure, leave me for the FETs.

But FETs are fickle. First they'll ask you to wear an anti-ESD strap on your wrist. Then your ankle. Then they'll want you to sit on a mat. Then you'll be in a sweaty Class 100 plastic bag with special conductive lines in the fabric carting them around in a metal cart with a grounding chain while they're sipping Class 1 air. Before long, they won't even let you handle them without a ceramic vacuum wand. Not vinyl gloves, not nitrile. Ceramic or you're not getting any.

And then, when you least expect it, you're going to have just a little too much static charge on you and they'll abandon you to erratic switching behavior.

Last edited:

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Wow, lot of good origin stories lol.

I've had several when I was younger but my main (only one) now is onlyabloke. It started off as AngryShortBloke based on a Richard Hammond joke about dating advertisements. Then I realized that for a photography name/branding it doesn't sound very....friendly.

Moved to onlyabloke about a year or so ago and here I am. Using onlyabloke as my handles and OABVSUL (Onlyabloke Visuals) as my photography branding.

Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

equilni

Chassis Packer
Oct 7, 2016
My screen name is a Hopi word for a/the "burden of weight". I love the Native American history and wanted something different since a few people were using my older screen name since it was something common. I was using another Hopi word as well, but this one stuck better.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
My grandmother is the OG gamer in the family, pushing deeper in the 80's, currently playing Battlefield 1.
She was the original "elf" in the family although I don't know her exact elf nickname (no, we don't game together).

My dad, born in 64, grew up a gamer himself and when multiplayer PC gaming became a thing, he chose the name Badelf.

I grew up to be much taller than my father and so as a kid I simply chose to be Bigelf.
A few years later I thought that using "big" was kind of lame so I decided to be Elfking.

I used to make maps for the original Far Cry and Halo PC titles but trying to find maps created under my username proved quite problematic as the Yahoo search engine just brought up pages upon pages of search results for a poem/book called, "Der Erlkönig" copypastad throughout thousands of Geocities webpages.

This was about the time that 1337 speak started to make a resurgence so I decided that a 1337 speak rendition of my name would be "cool".
Thus 3lfk1ng.

I have been using it for nearly two decades now so I decided to just stick with it as "immature" as it may look nowadays.

Reactions: owliwar and Phuncz

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
When I was in high-school I dreamed up the name of a computer company we wanted to found with a close buddy. I decided Not From Concentrate as a pun on the other major computer manufacturers (one was named after a fruit) as each build would be unique and original.

Years later near-field-communication would make this a really bad name for a computer company...

MJVR1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2015
When I was in high-school I dreamed up the name of a computer company we wanted to found with a close buddy. I decided Not From Concentrate as a pun on the other major computer manufacturers (one was named after a fruit) as each build would be unique and original.

Years later near-field-communication would make this a really bad name for a computer company...
Funny thing, when i was first researching your company, i had a hard time finding your website. All those website articles talking about NFC phone technology really buried your website in google search results. I ended up finding your website through Google Images out of all things...

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Time to revive this thread. I summon the powers that be!

So I've only had this handle for close to a decade now. Was living in japan, our group of close friends were just hanging out together and happened to be in a novelty shop of some sort when we notice this shirt that I found some image here. It says "choi debu oyaji" - "choi" is a redacted form of "chotto" meaning "a little" or "slightly", "debu" is slang for "fatty", "oyaji" means "old man".

We laughed about it but I really really liked it and tried it out and it turned out to be super comfortable - ended up buying it, still have it, still wear it at least once a week these days. Didn't care much about the meaning - I am not slim, loveably plump amd huggable I might add, and at that age people used to say that I look way older beyond my years. So it fits me perfecly. Hence my new handle was adopted.

Before that I've had a very pubescent nick then a soul searching one, both I am not proud of.

Aichon

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
Thanks for the thread necromancy! I missed this one the first time around.

For me, the name itself (which, incidentally, is pronounced "icon") was something I came up with during my undergrad years when I was doing some world building for a story ("Aichon" was an honorific used by a particular ruler). I didn't finish the story or use the name at the time, but fast forward to 2005 and I was looking for an easier to use handle during the character creation process for World of Warcraft. My previous handle—Anubis IV—clocked in at five syllables and was starting to feel a bit juvenile for where I was in life, so it was time for something new. Specifically, I wanted something that...
  • Could be abbreviated to a single, easily heard syllable when spoken (i.e. ideal for Ventrilo)
  • Was easily searchable/was not an existing word
  • Was easy to spot when skimming walls of text
  • Was easy to pronounce (note: I should have also required that it had an obvious pronunciation)
  • Avoided numbers, "graphic" characters (e.g. "Xx...xX"), or other symbols that have a tendency to be frowned upon
  • Avoided anything personally identifiable or any cultural references that would become dated
Conveniently, the name from the story was still bouncing around in the back of my head, and since it could be easily shortened to Aich (pronounced "Ike") and met the other criteria, it ended up becoming my new go-to handle.

Reactions: Phuncz

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
Started when I was picking a minecraft username which I shall not disclose
But since then I've made it a rule, every one of my usernames must include the word 'Random'. And so they have.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
In 2005 I got Xbox Live and chose the generated gamertag SoloSilver.

Then I started using Soloist and Solo wherever applicable.