The SFFF Community 2017 Prediction thread

Parge

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
So they did this on the Podcast and I thought it would be fun to do amongst the community here too.

Essentially, what do you think we'll see this year in the way of Small Form Factor? Cases, GPUs, other hardware, big announcements, failures, successes, indie projects.... gossip... anything - as long as its SFF related.

RULEZZZ:

1. A single prediction per person (so choose your best one)
2. If it doesn't come true you have to commit seppuku (not really a rule)

We can revisit this thread at the start of next year and see who got what right.

I'll kick things off:

I predict in 2017 we'll see a number of high end ITX boards using SODIMMs

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
I predict mSTX will not gain wide spread adoption in the enthusiast market.
I Hope mSTX will gain wide spread adoption in the enthusiast market.
Time will tell

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I predict mSTX will not gain wide spread adoption in the enthusiast market.
I Hope mSTX will gain wide spread adoption in the enthusiast market.
Replace "mSTX" with "SFX", "TFX" or "AC-DC" and you'd have four of my predictions :)

But my prediction is that we'll be left waiting impatiently for full-featured mITX AM4 boards in 2017.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
RX Nano in May. Will have all the benefits of the 15cm envelope, without requiring it's own power supply to handle spiking.

Reactions: cmyk78 and QinX

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I predict that we'll see a lot more manufacturers dipping their toes into low-volume mini-ITX cases, generally ones that can acommodate GPUs. Whether it's "ITX" GPUs or full size ones. More cases like the Node 202, but either more space optimized or slightly more tolerant for cooling.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I predict some of these predictions will be right!

I also predict some of them will be wrong!

And Cerberus will release this year!

hopefully
maybe
ok, probably not, since I've almost certainly jinxed myself

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I predict that I'll get a prototype of RSC manufactured. It probably won't happen though.

I predict that AMD will release their Ryzen and Polaris based APUs later this year. I predict that AMD will have a short Vega videocard.

Dedaciai

Trash Compacter
Jan 31, 2016
I predict that a large PC part manufacturer will finally admit that 90%+ of PC gamers don't need these gigantic cases with so much wasted space and educate their buyers/fans that cases with liters of space simply aren't needed. And, said manufacturer comes out with some very low volume designs a` la NCASE or Dan Case.

BTW: and case designs that don't put the PSU in front of the motherbard...I hate those designs.

Last edited:

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Maybe, just maybe, a large PC part manufacturer will finally admit that 90%+ of PC gamers don't need these gigantic cases with so much wasted space and educate their buyers/fans that cases with liters of space simply aren't needed. And, said manufacturer comes out with some very low volume designs a` la NCASE or Dan Case.

BTW: and case designs that don't put the PSU in front of the motherbard...I hate those designs.

This is a bit besides the point, but the grand irony about all this wasted space is, I've tried fitting an SSI EEB motherboard into several cases that consider themselves "compatible" (in the sense that they list it as a supported form factor), but the board ends up cutting off access to cable management and makes fitment of drive bays/5.25" accessories difficult because of interference with other parts and... I'm getting flustered just thinking about it.

I can't even close the case my current system is in because the drive cage interferes with A LOW PROFILE CPU COOLER???