Log Opinions on HTPC Build

Recold

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 11, 2021
Was hoping to get some opinions on the components i selected for this HTPC build. Ill be mainly streaming from a Synology NAS and doing some browsing. No Gaming. Im ok with future proofing and spending a few extra bucks where it matters. Just trying to avoid potential headaches.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 chromax.black
Motherboard - Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4
Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
SSD - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Case - In Win Chopin HTPC Case w/150 W Power Supply

I have another older SATA SSD (Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" ) which i plan to connect, which pushes the total wattage to about 140 watts. Might just leave it out or possibly spring for the Chopin Pro 200 Watt. Im not completely sold on this case but its close enough to my tastes and im tired of looking.

Open to any suggestions on the components ive listed or your experiences with same.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Hi and welcome!

Your shopping list looks good to me.

From what I see you need to have the F13 BIOS installed on the B550I Aorus in order to the 5600G to be recognized. If possible try to check that before buying the mobo.

The 1TB NVME already sounds overkill for only streaming and browsing, but could be future proof as you said.
But why adding even more storage with the 2.5" SATA 500GB?

Reactions: Recold and rfarmer

jakejm79

Average Stuffer
Mar 22, 2021
What kind of media are you going to be consuming, seems very overkill for purely web browsing and media consumption.

Recold

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 11, 2021
Hi and welcome!

Your shopping list looks good to me.

From what I see you need to have the F13 BIOS installed on the B550I Aorus in order to the 5600G to be recognized. If possible try to check that before buying the mobo.

The 1TB NVME already sounds overkill for only streaming and browsing, but could be future proof as you said.
But why adding even more storage with the 2.5" SATA 500GB?
I had it laying around and its never been used. Just thought id put it in there for the additional storage. Your right, its really unnecessary with the 1TB thats going in. I could get away with just the 500GB for my use but the 1GB NVME isnt that pricey and i havent done a build with one yet. Ill save the 500GB SATA for another build or rebuild and shave off a few watts.

Reactions: BaK

Recold

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 11, 2021
What kind of media are you going to be consuming, seems very overkill for purely web browsing and media consumption.
Just ripped movies and TV series but as i said, future proofing is the goal. I had an Intel NUC as my HTPC for 6 years and a power surge took out the HDMI port. Its been a while since i built a new machine and this one will likely be in use for years to come.

lowkey

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2019
I went from an A10-5800k to an 2200G and the best buy was the 200GE for 50 bricks. I am using a lot of cpu power for different media settings and still the cpu keeps silent. The old NUC and the chopwin were louder. The Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 chromax.black is a first choice, but on taller cases its not the best air cooler.

My current setup:

2200G, B350 ITX, 1x8gb DDR4, 120gb M.2, 300w PSU Gold and lots of 5TB 2,5" external drives.

My last setup was on water. The fans didnt spin, because it was overkill.

Reactions: Recold

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
future proofing is the goal
With that in mind and seeing how close you are to the 150W limit of the regular Chopin case, the Pro 200 Watts you envisioned should be preferred.
Especially if the price difference between the two cases is not that big.
This will indeed let you add more storage or a more power hungry CPU later if needed.

Recold

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 11, 2021
With that in mind and seeing how close you are to the 150W limit of the regular Chopin case, the Pro 200 Watts you envisioned should be preferred.
Especially if the price difference between the two cases is not that big.
This will indeed let you add more storage or a more power hungry CPU later if needed.
Well i pulled the trigger about 30 minutes ago on the list. With the SATA SSD removed, total wattage drops to 130. I agree the Chopin Pro would have been preferred but its out of stock at both Amazon and Newegg here in the US. Tough to find everything in stock at one place and i purchased 1/2 from Amazon and the other 1/2 from Newegg. Didnt want to deal with Ebay. I did look at B&H, Tigerdirect and the like but decided to just go with the 150 watter. A few of the components had a 7-10 day lead and ill have to wait and see how that shakes out. Something tells me ill be waiting on one thing or another. Ill post my build when done. Thanks for your input.

jakejm79

Average Stuffer
Mar 22, 2021
Just ripped movies and TV series but as i said, future proofing is the goal. I had an Intel NUC as my HTPC for 6 years and a power surge took out the HDMI port. Its been a while since i built a new machine and this one will likely be in use for years to come.
I think it will be quite a few years before mainstream TV and movies go past 4K HDR, the majority of most broadcast TV is still 1080P.
Besides even if you have the CPU power to handle 8K (or whatever the future holds) you would still need outputs that can handle that transmission meaning an upgrade in the future anyway.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Well i pulled the trigger about 30 minutes ago on the list. With the SATA SSD removed, total wattage drops to 130. I agree the Chopin Pro would have been preferred but its out of stock at both Amazon and Newegg here in the US. Tough to find everything in stock at one place and i purchased 1/2 from Amazon and the other 1/2 from Newegg. Didnt want to deal with Ebay. I did look at B&H, Tigerdirect and the like but decided to just go with the 150 watter. A few of the components had a 7-10 day lead and ill have to wait and see how that shakes out. Something tells me ill be waiting on one thing or another. Ill post my build when done. Thanks for your input.
Looking forward to seeing your build log!

Recold

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 11, 2021
Just thought i would post a link to the new thread i started in the new builds forum. Thanks again for your comments.