Other Pcie Riser Card sizes

lordzahl

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 7, 2016
Hi everybody,
Today i need your help. By chance i found a used Coolermaster CM 270 case, which ist about 10 years old. I

t has a thick aluminium front & sides and a layout similar to the steambox/silverstone RVZ02, but the riser for the extension card is of course still an PCI one. Now i have measured it and bought a cheap 2u 90 degree Pcie riser card from china, but it is maybe about 5mm to short. Does anybody know where i can get a bigger one, or what sizes are typical?
I didn't really want to buy a flexibel riser, because for my otherwise cheap system about 30€ seems too expensive.
Has anybody a pointer for me? Thanks!
These are the ones i got at the moment:

Reactions: Phuncz

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
For this very short length, you can also try cheap flexible risers for 7$ or so. It could work out just as fine, just make sure it's as short as possible.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
That's an interesting case, never heard of it before.

Would a 1u riser and extension riser work? In saying that a flexi may be a better idea. Less connections

lordzahl

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 7, 2016
Yes, i alos think another 1u extender wouldn't be the best idea. A 1u horizontal extender ist already needed, so that would make 3 riser at once :D
I still have an 1x->16x 15cm flexible riser here and will try that one first and get an 16x shorter riser later.
@iFreilicht: Where do you get short flexible riser for ~7$? The shortest at that price point i could find was about 19cm.

I will probably get an bus powered GTX 750 TI later today, but that should be no problem with an unpowered (short) flex riser?

@confusis: Yes it is a very nice case indeed. I hope i can upgrade the IO Panel to USB3 somehow. Coolermaster should just reuse this case today, add a few extra ventilation holes for the graphic cards and it is good to go... I mean it is from a time where the only mini-itx boards where with VIA cpus.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I still have an 1x->16x 15cm flexible riser here and will try that one first and get an 16x shorter riser later.
Where do you get short flexible riser for ~7$? The shortest at that price point i could find was about 19cm.

I will probably get an bus powered GTX 750 TI later today, but that should be no problem with an unpowered (short) flex riser?

Good idea, but keep in mind that PCIex1 is not allowed to draw as much power as PCIex16. It could still work though.

I would've said ebay, but after looking you are right, most of them are about 20cm long. One that's a bit steeper in price but certainly a nice solution is this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y0NIL72/?tag=theminutiae-20
Costs 20 bucks, but is shielded and seems to work well.

Hm, not so sure whether that's ideal. It was mentioned that the 750Ti doesn't draw the full 75W, so it should be alright, but you can't know until you test it.

lordzahl

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 7, 2016
Interesting, i didn't know that 1x delivers less power. Maybe a powered riser cable would be better suited for a bus powered card?
I know own the Palit StormX GTX 750 Ti and it does work with my cheap 1x riser cable. But i still have to try load testing.

@iFreilicht: That riser cable does indeed look very nice. It is the only short one i could find either. Ill think about buying it. The TDP of the 750Ti is typically even less in the region of 40W as far as i know. I would have preferred a card with an extra power connector, but this one was as very cheap (used) card near me.

Another shielded (but longer one) i found is this:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/15cm...r-Card-Extender-Cable-For-1U/32614656133.html

It is interesting, because it is only 11$ incl. shipping. But i don't have any information about quality

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
Interesting, i didn't know that 1x delivers less power. Maybe a powered riser cable would be better suited for a bus powered card?
I know own the Palit StormX GTX 750 Ti and it does work with my cheap 1x riser cable. But i still have to try load testing.

@iFreilicht: That riser cable does indeed look very nice. It is the only short one i could find either. Ill think about buying it. The TDP of the 750Ti is typically even less in the region of 40W as far as i know. I would have preferred a card with an extra power connector, but this one was as very cheap (used) card near me.

Another shielded (but longer one) i found is this:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/15cm...r-Card-Extender-Cable-For-1U/32614656133.html

It is interesting, because it is only 11$ incl. shipping. But i don't have any information about quality

You could probably make your own to that kind of standard for a cheaper price.