Advice (old) 4070 in a Densium4+ V1

Gucky

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 15, 2022
Hello.
Soon the "old" 4070's will be lowered in price and I want to buy one for my Densium 4+ V1.
I don't want to buy a 4070 Super unless it has no 12VHPWR connector. Not because it is unsafe or anything, but my FLEX-ATX PSU is not modular and I don't want to fit a adapter in there.
The other problem is of course...size...
The smallest 4070 I could find so far is the Zotac Twin Edge. But from pictures it seems a bit too think and from specs a bit too long.

The too long part might not be that bad, I could use my dremel and shave off 1cm. The heatpipes are vertical so they won't be a problem.
Well the backplate mounting could be in the way. :D
And I don't know if the fans are mounted to the shroud or if slim fans fit instead of the stock fans. Those Fans do seem as think as the shroud.
I may have to bend the sidepanel a bit to make it fit...

I don't mind changing the cooler, but I have yet to find a small cooler from a 4060 or 4060Ti that fit a 4070... (different screw holes)

Or does anyone of you have a better solution?

P.S.
I want to avoid using a 4060Ti, since I have only a PCIe 3.0 riser and that would slow it down quite a bit.

vinnyoflegend

Trash Compacter
Mar 18, 2022
The Zotac 4070 Twin Edge is indeed slightly thicker (considered to be a 2.2 slot), a few mm over 40.

I have it in an SGPC K59 which has a 40mm limit, the Zotac can squeeze in but with some consequences, the shroud on the slot side flexes slightly. The fans which slightly protrude from the shroud already go a couple mm more beyond the stock clearance for this case. In my case I am able to accommodate it with some standoffs (6mm because the 10mm ones look silly when I just need a few mm). When I try the panel flush without the standoffs it touches the fans and prevents them from spinning.

Does the Densium only allow 40mm or do you have a little wiggle room?

Ironically, since you mentioned not wanting the 4070 Super for other reasons, the Zotac one in particular was downsized properly to 2 slots despite the specs saying it's 40.2mm vs the non-super at 2.2 slots but reportedly 40.1 (I saw a reddit thread calling it 45-46mm, which I don't agree with, as it would be sticking much further in my case and consuming the gap provided by the standoffs.)

See stock photos below (4070 Twin vs 4070 Super Twin)

Gucky

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 15, 2022
Does the Densium only allow 40mm or do you have a little wiggle room?
The panel can bend a bit, I already have a 1660 in there that is a big over 40mm.
As long as the fans don't protude and get stuck it is alright. (already had that happen with another card)
In worst case, I have to use longer screws with a washer...
See stock photos below (4070 Twin vs 4070 Super Twin)
I know that. :D
Sadly the Zotac 4070 Super is not only 1cm longer, but it has a long PCB (as long as the card) and the heatpipes are oriented differently, which makes shortening the cooler a no go. And in the Densium4+ V1 the max length is 220mm. The Zotac 4070 is 225mm and the 4070Super is around 236mm.

BTW I still wait for the prices of the Zotac 4070 to go down here. :D

Reactions: vinnyoflegend