Oak pc case and fan adapter

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
Hi all,

I ordered some tiny cases from China, got bored of waiting and built this case, it’s quite large for me at 17L

Spec 7700k, 16gb ram, 1060 EVGA sc mini, 120gb m.2 for operating system and further SSD’s to be added, 500w sfx-l silverstone psu.

Case has a 120mmx25mm fan at the top, and 80x25mm at the bottom, a separate opening for the 120mm PSU fan to take air in.

Cpu cooler is a Thermalright AXP-100r which I initially started testing with a 92x25 Noctua fan, then created an adapter for a 120mm fan, and have now created a 140mm fan adapter which I am still yet to test.

There will be a Perspex sheet arriving imminently for me to have a window on the front. The ‘door’ is hinged.

The IO ports just have 90 degree cables plugged in which go to the rear of the case to connect up.

Let me know what you think :)

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
Damn, that's quite unique. But as a former materials engineer, I'd like to let you know that wood is a great insulator. So good, that the early space vessels for the first men in space used wood as the insulator on the vessel upon re-entry into Earth's atmosphere. But you should be good with the wood in your pc unless your processor's heat can exceed the heat of atmospheric re-entry.

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
Lols, I have plans for more and more fans if needed, so far my cpu and gpu gets to about 70 degrees under load with this setup but I understand that I have yet to put the Perspex on. It gets to 60 degrees whilst gaming. If needed I will also recess a 120x15 fan on the back panel and could also put vent holes in the Perspex if needed, we shall see

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
How does your fan adapter/funnel work for you? Notice any difference in noise or temperatures? That looks like some robustly thick wood!

I've been planning to do a little hardwood case for a little while, hoping to start on it soon. What did you do for motherboard mounting?

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
The temperatures are better with the 140mm fan so I can run it at lower rpm and it’s much quieter for the same temp as the 92mm fan.

The wood is some old oak flooring so it’s about 20mm thick so it’s quite heavy and the case is very strong/robust

For the motherboard mounting I bought some m3 brass standoffs (9mm high), put the motherboard in place, marked the holes, drilled the holes for the standoffs and then screwed them in with a bit of glue in the thread. Seems to be working, very strong and was easy to do.

Worth giving a go :)

edit: in fact after some more testing/gaming it is almost silent even without the acrylic window on yet (so fan exposed) even when the fan profile is set to performance and keeps the cpu at about 53 celcius

Last edited:
Reactions: NateDawg72

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
So I have now added an additional fan - a 120 x 15mm noctua which I have half recessed internally. I have also swapped my 1060 mini for a 1070 mini (about 21cm long).

I have moved everything down a couple of cm's to make cable connections easier. A couple of things left to do - fit a bit of oak to cover the aluminium strip and I have some RGB lights I want to fit underneath that bit of trim to put some white/warm yellow light on the internals. I then want to get a couple of cables custom made to length as I have a lot of excess on my sata power and 8 pin pcie power - almost there :)

Last edited: