Let’s be very clear before we begin: we are looking at the RTX 4060 from a small form factor perspective. I intentionally requested the ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 4060 SOLO, and not a two or three fan OC card. This is a very small, single fan GPU. This means we’re looking at this from a different angle than a traditional review. We will, of course, have performance numbers for the card. However, our conclusion will be focused more on efficiency and performance per liter then raw performance and value.
As I said in the RTX 4060Ti review: Small Form Factor users aren’t immune to wanting a good value. However, it’s hard to take a moral high ground on value when we decided to pay three times as much for cases that use one-quarter the metal, to house components that have half the function at twice the price. What do we do we these spacing saving builds? Put them prominently on our desks to take up space, and complain about how loud they are.
Let’s dig in by starting with the card we will...

Continue reading...

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Thanks for sharing. How's the fan noise while gaming? Thanks, Leo
What GPUs do you have on hand for comparison? I might be able to get you a direct comparison with dBA numbers.

Rick0

Cable Smoosher
Jul 15, 2017
Thanks for sharing. How's the fan noise while gaming? Thanks, Leo
I did some tests.
By default, gpu fan is running quite fast, so it makes it noisy when idle.

I configured a curve for my gpu using argus monitor. Now it's way quieter, like barely audible. I can hear my PSU more than GPU.
When gaming, therefore with my headsets on, it has never been a problem, and it will be even less now.

Note that my left ear is like 50cm away from the case.

Reactions: Revenant and Phuncz

vlad1966

Average Stuffer
Sep 21, 2017
I did some tests.

I configured a curve for my gpu using argus monitor. Now it's way quieter, like barely audible. I can hear my PSU more than GPU.
When gaming, therefore with my headsets on, it has never been a problem, and it will be even less now.

Question on the Argus monitor software - I'm assuming the settings are programmed so that they survive a reboot? So they don't have to be re-set every time you reboot the PC?

Thanks

Rick0

Cable Smoosher
Jul 15, 2017
I did some tests.

Yes that's correct. I bought the premium version of the software (not sure if it impacts the way it works or not)
Then I've created curves based on the sensors, or combinaison of sensors that made sense. Save the profiles, and there you have it.

When my PC boots, all fans are bios controlled, so they run high/max speed. But when windows loads, it fires up argus, and therefore the profiles and curves, so fans are slowing down to obey to these rules.

To be honest I really like this little software. It's quite cheap from what I recall, like a lifetime licence fee or at least quite long, and it allows me to do certain things I wasn't able to on my former case. Like handling my case's fans in two different curves.

Thanks,
Eric

Reactions: shiris

Animag771

Caliper Novice
Feb 24, 2024
Can anyone provide me with the fan thickness of this GPU?

I've asked ZOTAC and they said "I don't have that information." I've asked in 3 places on Reddit and no luck. I've contacted owners of the cars and nobody is willing to measure it, which sucks but is understandable.

I have a unique scenario where I'm trying to cram one into a 4L console case as I convert it to be brickless with two VOF-200C-12 units below the GPU. This will only leave enough room for about a 35mm thick GPU. I'm hoping that the fan is 15mm thick so that I can swap it with with a thinner 10mm thick fan. This should give me just barely enough room to make everything fit.

I'd rather avoid buying a GPU just to measure the fan thickness and have to return it if the fan is already 10mm thick.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
There's an alternative option to this now with a proper heatsink + copper heatpipes that actually looks a lot better imo - being more rectangular and less like a soap.

It's the 4060 from Manli and it's actually locally available where I am. It's even smaller at merely 149mm in length! That's shorter than the R9 Nano! Maybe it's more like a disadvantage, as 170mm is more than enough for any Velka 3 and Densium 4 builds, but how cute is that? However despite having horizontal fins, it seems to have a closed end - which does not sound ideal. That side should be left open for the air to exit. Fan seems to be 90mm which is nice, so might be a good recipient for noctuarization and I have to say, I really like the 4 screws on the shroud, seems more accessible and give off a sturdy look. This would look amazing with a dark grey noctua chromax fan in the middle.

On the contrary, MSI apparently also have his ITX 4060 now in their usual AERO series that now also feature a proper heatsink and actually have a backplate too, but probably made of plastic instead of metal. And the heatpipes are just 6mm thick instead of 8mm of the Manli. So I like Manli's model the best so far:)

Last edited:

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
There's an alternative option to this now with a proper heatsink + copper heatpipes that actually looks a lot better imo - being more rectangular and less like a soap.

It's the 4060 from Manli and it's actually locally available where I am. It's even smaller at merely 149mm in length! That's shorter than the R9 Nano! Maybe it's more like a disadvantage, as 170mm is more than enough for any Velka 3 and Densium 4 builds, but how cute is that? However despite having horizontal fins, it seems to have a closed end - which does not sound ideal. That side should be left open for the air to exit. Fan seems to be 90mm which is nice, so might be a good recipient for noctuarization and I have to say, I really like the 4 screws on the shroud, seems more accessible and give off a sturdy look. This would look amazing with a dark grey noctua chromax fan in the middle.

On the contrary, MSI apparently also have his ITX 4060 now in their usual AERO series that now also feature a proper heatsink and actually have a backplate too, but probably made of plastic instead of metal. And the heatpipes are just 6mm thick instead of 8mm of the Manli. So I like Manli's model the best so far:)
What I’m hearing is that it would be a good length for an X600M-STX build…?

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Can anyone provide me with the fan thickness of this GPU?

I've asked ZOTAC and they said "I don't have that information." I've asked in 3 places on Reddit and no luck. I've contacted owners of the cars and nobody is willing to measure it, which sucks but is understandable.

I have a unique scenario where I'm trying to cram one into a 4L console case as I convert it to be brickless with two VOF-200C-12 units below the GPU. This will only leave enough room for about a 35mm thick GPU. I'm hoping that the fan is 15mm thick so that I can swap it with with a thinner 10mm thick fan. This should give me just barely enough room to make everything fit.

I'd rather avoid buying a GPU just to measure the fan thickness and have to return it if the fan is already 10mm thick.

I'll get the calipers out. Give me a bit.

Animag771

Caliper Novice
Feb 24, 2024

The downside is it looks to be 2.5 slot thickness. I guess that reduction in length meant an increase in thickness.

Animag771

Caliper Novice
Feb 24, 2024
On the photos it looks dual slot. The official specification says the card itself is 40mm.
You're absolutely correct. I guess videocardz.net messed it up on the link you provided in your earlier comment. I should have verified the specs on the manufacturer's website before speaking up. My mistake.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
You're absolutely correct. I guess videocardz.net messed it up on the link you provided in your earlier comment. I should have verified the specs on the manufacturer's website before speaking up. My mistake.
Actually, I should've just linked that instead in the first place. Less cookies to accept, but the whole official page is just a giant jpeg that loads super slow for some reason:)

Reactions: Animag771

Animag771

Caliper Novice
Feb 24, 2024
It will probably have to be either late tonight or tomorrow. Also just a heads up that I have a Densium 4L build article coming out with it, and I'll be doing a fan tuning article.
Awesome 👍 I'll keep a lookout for your update as well as the new article.

Animag771

Caliper Novice
Feb 24, 2024
Anyone else have an issue with resizable bar not working on theirs? I noticed on my TimeSpy runs that it said rebar was disabled. So I checked it in GPU-Z and Nvidia Control Panel and both of them said that both resizable bar and above 4g decoding were disabled. However, when I checked in my BIOS, both settings are enabled.

I tried disabling them, rebooting and enabling again. No luck. Also the GPU drivers are up to date and I checked Zotac's website to see if there was another VBIOS to resolve this but there isn't.

Last edited: