Let’s be very clear before we begin: we are looking at the RTX 4060 from a small form factor perspective. I intentionally requested the ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 4060 SOLO, and not a two or three fan OC card. This is a very small, single fan GPU. This means we’re looking at this from a different angle than a traditional review. We will, of course, have performance numbers for the card. However, our conclusion will be focused more on efficiency and performance per liter then raw performance and value.
As I said in the RTX 4060Ti review: Small Form Factor users aren’t immune to wanting a good value. However, it’s hard to take a moral high ground on value when we decided to pay three times as much for cases that use one-quarter the metal, to house components that have half the function at twice the price. What do we do we these spacing saving builds? Put them prominently on our desks to take up space, and complain about how loud they are.
Let’s dig in by starting with the card we will...

Continue reading...

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
Definitely the only RTX 4060 worth getting. I was surprised to find that it is the only one <18cm that doesn't use a cheap extruded aluminum heatsink. Disappointing since this is probably the only market that was (remotely) looking forward to the 4060 release XD

Either the manufacturers are clueless or it's really the consumers who think small = cheap and more card = more better. Preferring inflated cards ASSUMING better cooling.

Reactions: Revenant

Cuzza

Trash Compacter
LOSIAS
Jul 15, 2015
I think most reviewers are being a bit harsh on the 4060. Here we have a review finding some real positives. And if the buyers don't take to it we might see some price cuts especially if the other team manages to bring out something better for cheaper. I would be interested to see how efficient this thing could get with some underclocking.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I think most reviewers are being a bit harsh on the 4060. Here we have a review finding some real positives. And if the buyers don't take to it we might see some price cuts especially if the other team manages to bring out something better for cheaper. I would be interested to see how efficient this thing could get with some underclocking.

I'm going to be doing some underclocking soon. Unfortunately my time ran out. I got the drivers less than a day before the embargo hit, worked through the night, into the morning, and then collapsed after releasing some early benches on Discord. I'm going to put this card into a Densium 4 with a 13900K set for 65 watts. I'll be doing undervolting and benchmarks on that build.

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Definitely the only RTX 4060 worth getting. I was surprised to find that it is the only one <18cm that doesn't use a cheap extruded aluminum heatsink. Disappointing since this is probably the only market that was (remotely) looking forward to the 4060 release XD

Either the manufacturers are clueless or it's really the consumers who think small = cheap and more card = more better. Preferring inflated cards ASSUMING better cooling.

Zotac has really stepped up their game, and I really like this cooler. The good news is that Zotac didn't put the SFF tax on this, and it's available at MSRP.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Fantastic review! Aside from the (valid) Anti 4060(ti) mood around the enthusiast community, I do feel like we will see quite a few SFF builds with them, especially with cards like this ZOTAC one.

I still wish NVIDIA tried even a little harder though.

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Fantastic review! Aside from the (valid) Anti 4060(ti) mood around the enthusiast community, I do feel like we will see quite a few SFF builds with them, especially with cards like this ZOTAC one.

I still wish NVIDIA tried even a little harder though.

At $249, it would be far more palatable. At $300, it needed to push closer to a RTX 3070 in raw performance.

Reactions: rfarmer

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
Perspective do matter a lot. The 4060 is kinda lacking compared to the 3060 as it's cut down on many aspects - seeing it from the eyes of people with regular cases looking for a regular sized card. With such vast options to choose from, this one's clearly not an ideal choice for them at this price.

However among the ITX gpu's, there are not much to choose from in general. And even among those available, it's usually a decision of having a hot card with suitable performance (3060), or a cooler one with less power (3050, 6500XT). This one wins over these on both fronts and potentially the most suitable yet for ITX. It runs cool and performs good - I would definitely choose this one over the Ti version. Despite that having a bit more performance, it costs +100$ with the same 8GB VRAM and almost +50% increase in TDP.
It makes me wonder if this card could be used with the 250w passive GaN psu as well, especially with that humble undervolt mentioned in the article. If it maxes out on 100w, then 150w remains for everything else, which can be plenty.

I'm also interested in the Ti's 16GB version though. Yet due to the bad reception the 4060 has in general, I fear there won't be much if any coverage over the 4060 or 4060Ti ITX cards on the internet (aside from this nice review) which is a shame. Thanks for this coverage!

Btw, can I ask the fan diameter in mm?

Last edited:

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Perspective do matter a lot. The 4060 is kinda lacking compared to the 3060 as it's cut down on many aspects - seeing it from the eyes of people with regular cases looking for a regular sized card. With such vast options to choose from, this one's clearly not an ideal choice for them at this price.

However among the ITX gpu's, there are not much to choose from in general. And even among those available, it's usually a decision of having a hot card with suitable performance (3060), or a cooler one with less power (3050, 6500XT). This one wins over these on both fronts and potentially the most suitable yet for ITX. It runs cool and performs good - I would definitely choose this one over the Ti version. Despite that having a bit more performance, it costs +100$ with the same 8GB VRAM and almost +50% increase in TDP.
It makes me wonder if this card could be used with the 250w passive GaN psu as well, especially with that humble undervolt mentioned in the article. If it maxes out on 100w, then 150w remains for everything else, which can be plenty.

I'm also interested in the Ti's 16GB version though. Yet due to the bad reception the 4060 has in general, I fear there won't be much if any coverage over the 4060 or 4060Ti ITX cards on the internet (aside from this nice review) which is a shame. Thanks for this coverage!

Btw, can I ask the fan diameter in mm?

Thanks for the kind remarks. I'll measure the fan tonight. Brand new calipers come in today.

Last edited:

L91

Average Stuffer
Dec 21, 2021
www.youtube.com

I believe RTX 4060 StormX also has decent heatsink, all other 4060 ITX cards have GTX 1650 die only style heatsink is best way I can describe it

Reactions: Phuncz and Revenant

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
Thanks for good work testing Zotac 4060 Solo. I'm curious how many heatpipes the cooler has? Thanks again, Leo
Based on the picture, it has two. Which is exactly two more than what every other manufacturer's ITX cards have with their roundish heatsinks. This one has a proper heatsink that covers more of the pcb and with actual heatpipes.
However, I am curious how the others perform. The fins on this heatsink is horizontal, while those spread the air in every direction - so aside from blowing air onto the rest of the pcb, that also directs it above and below - which might be more beneficial in sandwich-style cases with a completely closed front plate like the Velka 3 or K39. Yet here it is mentioned that air also felt coming from above and below - which is definitely nice.

Last edited:

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Thanks for good work testing Zotac 4060 Solo. I'm curious how many heatpipes the cooler has? Thanks again, Leo

It has 2. I was using an infrared thermometer to test their DELTA but I didn't like the accuracy so I didn't include it. I did measure one of them being about 60C by the first bend. They're working. LOL

Reactions: L91

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
I believe RTX 4060 StormX also has decent heatsink,

Weird… the Palit is usually 1:1 with Gainward, but not listed in Germany yet. The Gainward 4060 looks like this, but now that you said it I found this video showing a finstack for the Palit.

On the 4060 predecessor (RTX 3050 ‘GA107’) both had used extruded aluminum heatsinks, but one of them had sometimes a finstack pictured… soo. Might be a 4060Ti in the video. They only mention the fan... 😏

all other 4060 ITX cards have GTX 1650 die only style heatsink is best way I can describe it

It's

extruded aluminum

...heatsink. And it can also be in contact with the VRAM modules.

EDIT: In the description was a link to the product page. Extruded aluminum like the Gainward. The Solo is the only finstack <18cm.

Last edited:
Reactions: L91 and Revenant

L91

Average Stuffer
Dec 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
It has 2. I was using an infrared thermometer to test their DELTA but I didn't like the accuracy so I didn't include it. I did measure one of them being about 60C by the first bend. They're working. LOL
Thanks for the info. I'm happy to hear Zotac went with finstach design, with heatpipes, but didn't expect anything less imo.

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Well, it is not just Zotac. Colorful ( a less known brand outside of China) also has two 4060s with 'proper' heatsink.

Colorful 4060 Mini-v

Colorful iGame 4060

Reactions: L91 and Phuncz

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Thanks for the correction. Could have swore I checked product page for 4060 StormX like 2 days ago. oh well. Zotac FTW ;)

It's contradictory. Both coolers are shown depending on the advertising material. We need to see one in the wild.

Reactions: Phuncz and rfarmer