GPU NVIDIA has GPU's for retail right now!

deathadder666

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 4, 2018
Damn, sorry man. I happened to look at the site 5 minutes before the email came in notifying me. I was checking it daily just in case. I look back at my email, and boom, email notification. I was luckily looking at my email Inbox at the right time. Hopped right on it and paid then posted here.

So now, anyone interested in a used MSI GTX 1050ti LP card for $300? Or maybe this 1060 for $600?

Reactions: Elerek

The_Crapman

Efficiency Noob
Feb 14, 2018
I think nvidia could have done more to help out us gamers, supplying cards through their website at rrp on a 1 per customer basis. Wouldn't have taken much to set up post purchase checks to make sure it wasn't abused.

deathadder666

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 4, 2018
You're right about that. But it's not NVIDIA or AMD that is making profit from the increased demand. Those two are selling the chips to the partners and those partners sell to the builders and retail shops. NVIDIA sells the chip for $100 to Asus, Asus sells the card to retail for $150, retail should sell at $200, but demand is so damn high, retail sells for $400 or $500.

I think it would be more prudent for gamers to have AMD and NVIDIA sell direct from their site. But there is likely something in the partnership agreements that they won't do that. Otherwise, NVIDIA would be the only manufacturer of their own cards as the demand would outstrip it again. Miners would just find relatives to buy cards (1 per household) for them at the cheap, making them run out of cards again. They can't segregate gamers from miners either, with the rarity of maybe previous purchasers of older chips knowing they are upgrading for gaming and not mining so much, but it's only a matter of time before that system gets abused too:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...-bean-scraps-legendary-lifetime-return-policy

The only end in site is like what happened before, crypto currencies needs to take a nose dive HARD. The the market would recover in a few months. I'm not sure that dedicated ASIC chips for mining will do anything to stem the hunger for free money (at least that's what miners think it is). Otherwise, it's a scramble for those of us out here.

FYI, keep to Craigslist. I found someone willing to sell their Asus GTX 1060 Turbo for $300 before the NVIDIA site opened up for me and another emailed me after I bought from NVIDIA to see their Gigabyte one (both 6GB versions) for $300 too. So it's possible to find other gamers out there not looking to cash out while they can. Good luck y'all!

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
I'm not very well versed on cryptocurrencies, but my reading has taught me that asics are used for mining bitcoin , while miners use GPUs to mine ETH and the likes. My knowledge is limited beyond that.

Reactions: Phuncz

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
The only end in site is like what happened before, crypto currencies needs to take a nose dive HARD.
Alternatively, they remain steady and production is increased to match demand. In that situation, overall GPU cost can be reduced as R&D and startup expenses are spread across more units.
A crash may not be all that likely either. The price of the more popular 'altcoins' are generally pegged to that of Bitcoin (and rise/fall in close to lockstep) which appears to just be exiting it's most recent crash. During that crash, there was no dramatic selloff of GPUs by miners. For things to crash to such a low market price that mining on GPUs is no longer profitable vs. energy consumption would require a much more dramatic drop in value.

Reactions: Phuncz and Kwirek

deathadder666

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 4, 2018
For things to crash to such a low market price that mining on GPUs is no longer profitable vs. energy consumption would require a much more dramatic drop in value.

That'll happen. The energy use spikes happening will drive up the cost of electricity for those users (like pirates and Internet bandwidth and thresholds) which will make massive mining operations slow down, which will turn the market on crypto currencies also. It's all about timing. I've read that some places are using more energy that some small nations:

https://digiconomist.net/bitcoin-energy-consumption

I mean, it's not there yet, but the market can swing wildly with global climate change. It's freaking hot right now in February here, but if it's like last summer, air conditioning is going to be sucking every power plant dry this year.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
That'll happen. The energy use spikes happening will drive up the cost of electricity for those users (like pirates and Internet bandwidth and thresholds) which will make massive mining operations slow down, which will turn the market on crypto currencies also. It's all about timing. I've read that some places are using more energy that some small nations:

https://digiconomist.net/bitcoin-energy-consumption

I mean, it's not there yet, but the market can swing wildly with global climate change. It's freaking hot right now in February here, but if it's like last summer, air conditioning is going to be sucking every power plant dry this year.
Large mining operations have already shifted to place with low cost of operations (low electricity cost, sometimes combined with low ambient temperatures). Hence the popularity in Iceland and China.
On the flipside, mining could serve as an interesting solution to the other side of the Renewable Supply Variance problem: massive unpredictable power oversupply. Currently, grid oversupply requires either baseload plants to shut down (for transient spikes the baseload startup delay could then result in a brownout) or industrial process startup (to increase load); with these either being enforced by remote grid control, or through incentivising like negative pricing. Mining is an extremely flexible load, so can easily take advantage of oversupply to prevent overvoltage conditions without startup/shutdown delays.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
That'll happen. The energy use spikes happening will drive up the cost of electricity for those users (like pirates and Internet bandwidth and thresholds) which will make massive mining operations slow down, which will turn the market on crypto currencies also.
This seems unlikely, alot of the most serious mining shops are already operating at data centre scale, it seems more likely that what will happen is cites / countries will start competing w/ incentives such as tax breaks and cheaper power in return for opening up new mining facilities there. I am, however, making the assumption that crypto currencies as a whole wont crash any time soon and will, in some format or another, remain a viable market. Given a miner in Russia bought two power stations we really are seeing miners operate at substantial scale now. I think the idea that the whole crypto currency market is just going to implode is, for the foreseeable future, wishful thinking at best. Which ultimatly would suggest that the only real solution to the GPU shortage is either more supply or substantially more advanced ASICs capable of dealing w/ the new multi algorithm protocols coming into place, so really more GPU supply.

TLDR: the sooner we stop wishing the crypto currency market would implode and start dealing w/ it like a legitimate thing the sooner we can actually start dealing w/ the problems it creates.

My $0.02

Last edited: