Oct 30, 2015
The Rebirth of Nova Prime.

Dominion.

Last edited:

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Mortar Arctic? Great choice - I think white/silver boards look great and offer more flexibility for the look of your build.
Nice M.2 placement, and good PCI-E setup
The only thing missing is an ITX version :cool:

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Mortar Arctic? Great choice - I think white/silver boards look great and offer more flexibility for the look of your build.
Nice M.2 placement, and good PCI-E setup
The only thing missing is an ITX version :cool:

The contrast was what I was going for, The handle being white also really ties it all together as well.

I'm under 20L, I'm not breaking any forum rules ;P

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I can't wait to see all of this come together !

That blue PCB WD "Black" is so immensely infuriating. And it's not like they couldn't have done a proper WD Green with green PCB, WD Blue with blue PCB, WD Black with black PCB and yes, even a WD Red with red PCB for our insane NAS needs.

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
I can't wait to see all of this come together !

That blue PCB WD "Black" is so immensely infuriating. And it's not like they couldn't have done a proper WD Green with green PCB, WD Blue with blue PCB, WD Black with black PCB and yes, even a WD Red with red PCB for our insane NAS needs.

The system is essentially all built and running. I need to swap the gpu fans to the light blue LED version and give more thought to a suitable Aftermarket CPU cooler so I can burrow into the nitty gritty of Overclocking this little beast. Preliminary temps sees my GPU at 25-ish degrees, Lord is this card quiet too! Honestly so pleased by the acoustics given that all the side panels are off while I'm configuring the PC.

That would be pretty cool, I do like the colored theme idea to PCB's ;)

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
The contrast was what I was going for, The handle being white also really ties it all together as well.

I'm under 20L, I'm not breaking any forum rules ;P

That all looks amazing :cool:, just caught up with your log.

My comment about ITX wasn't aimed at you or the case. The Nova/Cerberus is proper hardcore SFF no question.

What I meant was that the SFF community is missing on white ITX boards. I've wanted one since Asus did the Sabertooth Sabranco a few years back.
I really want a white mortar arctic ITX board to be created.
Either Intel or AMD would do, but the latter will be a long time coming, as they don't seem to have many Ryzen ITX boards in the pipeline or that soon either.

Anyway, great looking build, with good kit to do the case justice.

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
That all looks amazing :cool:, just caught up with your log.

My comment about ITX wasn't aimed at you or the case. The Nova/Cerberus is proper hardcore SFF no question.

What I meant was that the SFF community is missing on white ITX boards. I've wanted one since Asus did the Sabertooth Sabranco a few years back.
I really want a white mortar arctic ITX board to be created.
Either Intel or AMD would do, but the latter will be a long time coming, as they don't seem to have many Ryzen ITX boards in the pipeline or that soon either.

Anyway, great looking build, with good kit to do the case justice.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it :)

Given that I've just about run taking photos to the ground, I'm in the process of benchmarking and have essentially got the build as far along as my current equipment permits. I will have some Semi-completed build pics up soon and then elaborate on my experiences with nPrime, Ryzen and my RX 580.

The only major roadblock I currently have is my CPU cooler. Originally I was set on a NZXT X42 AIO, But Given that space is already fairly limited, I wanted to explore an air cooler. I have looked and haven't found much that fits the bill. The stock cooler does an extremely good job considering that it is just a stock cooler, I do however want an aftermarket solution. Given my 113mm CPU cooler height, Can anyone offer some suggestions that will sustain a sizable overclock and not make a great deal of noise?

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
What about the Noctua NH-D9L? It is advertised as 110mm high with their (controversial beige/brown...) fan fitted.

I also looked at the Cryorig M9, but it's 125mm tall; more than I remember from when I was checking out CPU coolers.

Reactions: NRG

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
What about the Noctua NH-D9L? It is advertised as 110mm high with their (controversial beige/brown...) fan fitted.

I also looked at the Cryorig M9, but it's 125mm tall; more than I remember from when I was checking out CPU coolers.

I think that NH-D9L would do nicely, With a Redux fan though, As that's the route I've gone with my case fans! Thanking you!

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
M9 will fit. CPU heatsink clearance is ~138mm.

Well well well, look who the cat dragged in ;)

So I assume this new information supersedes the measurement given in the Nova project log? Or is it just that with the AIO bracket removed I gain a heap of room?

If so, that opens up a few more options?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The 113mm measurement assumes there's a 25mm fan attached to the side bracket, so that figure is mostly for top-down coolers.

Removing the side bracket adds a bit more space, I forget how much.

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
I'll have to do some more research then, let's see what I can find!

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017
Your photography of this is outstanding, like, really really really amazing. Even those simple normal case fans you make look spectacular. Great work!

BTW are those Noctua Industrial fans?

Reactions: NRG

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Your photography of this is outstanding, like, really really really amazing. Even those simple normal case fans you make look spectacular. Great work!

BTW are those Noctua Industrial fans?

Thank you! I'm not worthy of your praises! They are the Redux version of fan, They're the no frills version of Noctua's fans, Although more aesthetically pleasing ;)

Pride.

Build Done! It's all together! Now I'm moving onto the fine tuning and overclocking side of this journey. The addition of the Noctua CPU cooler has made a huge difference in thermals. From my initial testing I'm seeing about a 20 degree ~ drop in temps from stock cooler after an hour of prime 95 and Unigen Valley. Once I get some time I'll do a big write up on the next stage of this journey!

Last edited: