Noise Comparison - SM560 vs NCase M1

suboptimal

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jul 26, 2019
I have a current build in the SM560 that gets solid temps but it is a fair amount louder than I'd like. This is largely due to to excessive GPU coil whine, but the CPU and chassis fans can become audible in games even with tweaked fan curves.

How does the NCase M1 compare in terms of noise? I feel like the side panels might help with blocking out GPU coil whine, and the ability to use a larger CPU cooler should certainly help. Debating whether I should hop on the next pre-order and do a case swap, or if there are better ways to optimize noise in the SM560.

Specs:
Case: SM560 with vented side panels
CPU: Ryzen 3700x
CPU cooler: Black Ridge w/ Noctua A9x14
GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra (3-slot)
Motherboard: Asus B450-I
RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 16 GB
PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum
Fans: 2 x Noctua NF-F12

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
I can't exactly compare as I don't have a SM560 and I just got my Ncase, but a C14S will most likely be more quiet and efficient than a Black Ridge.

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
I'm not sure how space is in the SM560 but in the Ncase you have a few options for your GPU that can improve noise levels significantly:

- Remove the shroud with stock fans and place 2 Noctua 25mm fans on the bottom as exhaust. This depends on your GPU model though, ideally you'd want the Noctua fans to almost touch the heatsink.
- Remove the heatsink and shroud and install an Arctic Accelero with 2 fans. This will yield the best results both in temps and noise level.

Reactions: The_Mad_Madman

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
I'm not sure how space is in the SM560 but in the Ncase you have a few options for your GPU that can improve noise levels significantly:

- Remove the shroud with stock fans and place 2 Noctua 25mm fans on the bottom as exhaust. This depends on your GPU model though, ideally you'd want the Noctua fans to almost touch the heatsink.
- Remove the heatsink and shroud and install an Arctic Accelero with 2 fans. This will yield the best results both in temps and noise level.

Hey Jet, you need Accelero 3 for the Ncase right? I'm thinking of getting it for my flashed V56, the noise of this blower is terrible right now. Isn't it possible to fit 2x140 fans or are you forced to go with 120 fans?

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
@The_Mad_Madman Yes, Accelero III is preferred, IV can be used as well but requires you to leave out the included backplate and purchase separate heatsinks for your RAM and VRM. Mine in the picture is the IV.

Although there are mounting holes for 140 fans in the Ncase V6 I don't think they'll fit. There are some 135mm fans out there that might work but I doubt they're of the same quality as the Noctua NF-F12's I'm using.

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
@The_Mad_Madman Yes, Accelero III is preferred, IV can be used as well but requires you to leave out the included backplate and purchase separate heatsinks for your RAM and VRM. Mine in the picture is the IV.

Although there are mounting holes for 140 fans in the Ncase V6 I don't think they'll fit. There are some 135mm fans out there that might work but I doubt they're of the same quality as the Noctua NF-F12's I'm using.

I'd go with the III to keep it simple. So I need the Accelero, 2 Noctua NF-12 fans and Cundoctonaut? Is that the thermal needed or is another one good enough? Am I missing something?

And if you know, are these good with a reference V56, 5700XT?

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
@The_Mad_Madman I'm using it with a 2080 Super, so I can't comment on the 5700XT. But, according to the Arctic website both the III and IV are compatible. For me the temps dropped about 20c with the Accelero, Conductonaut and a slight undervolt.

Conductonaut is liquid metal, which will give you the best cooling performance. Just pay attention when applying it because it can't touch the surrounding SMD's. I just applied 2 layers of blank nail polish to protect them. If you want worry free thermal paste appliance I'd recommend Kryonaut.

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
@The_Mad_Madman I'm using it with a 2080 Super, so I can't comment on the 5700XT. But, according to the Arctic website both the III and IV are compatible. For me the temps dropped about 20c with the Accelero, Conductonaut and a slight undervolt.

Conductonaut is liquid metal, which will give you the best cooling performance. Just pay attention when applying it because it can't touch the surrounding SMD's. I just applied 2 layers of blank nail polish to protect them. If you want worry free thermal paste appliance I'd recommend Kryonaut.

Thanks for informing me man, I appreciate it. So I don't need to buy thermal pads? Kryonaut would be enough?

Kind of different but it is possible to rebuild the video card right, if I were to sell it or something in the future.

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
@The_Mad_Madman No thermal pads needed, the Accelero III comes with heatsinks and thermal glue. Kryonaut is excellent paste and easy to apply. Conductonaut brings some risks in applying it but will offer better cooling performance, somewhere between 3 and 8 degrees cooler I would say. It's up to you if you find that worthwile. A cooler GPU equals slower running fans equals less noise ;)

Rebuilding the video card shouldn't be a problem. It depends on the manufacturer how easy or hard that is. My Nvidia 2080 Super FE has a lot of screws so it took me a while ? Keep in mind though that you'll likely void the warranty of your card when you remove the heatsink and shroud. I think EVGA is one of the few vendors currently where the warranty is not voided?

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
@Jetpaction Thanks man I'll keep all that in mind. Turns out Arctic says Accelero 3 is not compatible with Vega, so that sucks. My option would be Morpheus II but it only allows 15mm thick fans. I'll wait out the Ampere and Big Navi announcements and see what to do after that. I only hope I survive my Vega trying to take off when on high loads.