Discussion NR200 Air Flow Question

gamecrusader

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 27, 2020
Hi all,

My build information is located below.

I LOVE this build HOWEVER, the GPU has pretty bad coil whine. I know the coil whine is directly related to FPS. If I can set the FPS in a game it doesn't happen. But any game that is wide open, it's there and it's annoying.

I have a EVGA 3070 Black that does not have this problem that I could put in this build BUT I'm nervous about the airflow exhaust at the bottom of the NR200 case.

I would reverse the 2 x bottom fans to be exhaust to account for its push (vs pull of the FE) air flow. As there is only about 1/2" below the NR200, so is it worth investing in these taller feet to help give some more room for GPU exhaust airflow below the case?
NR200 Case Feet Taller - Extended Height Set of 4 | eBay

Case: Cooler Master NR200
CPU: Intel i5-11600K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S + NF-F12 [set as intake]
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z590-I Gaming WiFi
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 2TB NVM.e
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Founders Edition
PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum
Case Fans: 4 x NF-F12 [2 x bottom set as intake / 2 x top set as exhaust]

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
Most, if not all GPUs (in their stock configuration and cooler ) pull air through their fans into their heatsink.

What is different how the air is exhausted, like the 3000 series FE has a flow-through design that will pass some air into the case. Most AIB GPUs would exhaust via the sides.

You don't want your fans at the bottom of the NR200 to be exhaust, as it will be fighting the GPU.

You would want the fans in intake orientation, as you currently have now, but the jury is still out on whether bottom fans will help or hinder temperatures. In my own use, I find that bottom fans will help in low to medium loads, where your GPU will not have to ramp up too quickly.

Have you tried undervolting your GPU? I find that it does help with coil whine, to some degree.